Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Acid Attacks
Quote | Reply
What the fuck??? I was certainly aware of these, but had no clue the numbers. Unreal and disgusting.

Acid attacks are now so prevalent that the public needs to be trained in helping victims, the Royal College of Emergency Medicine (RCEM) has said.

The London alone, the number of attacks rocketed from 261 in 2015, to 454 last year, an increase of 73 per cent.

Doctors at the RCEM and Barts Health NHS Trust say that bystanders who come to the aid of victims should be taught to quickly remove contaminated clothing and wash off the acid with copious amounts of water, which can lessen scarring and the need for plastic surgery.

They also called for legislation to make the carrying of corrosive substances in the street illegal.

“The number of high profile “acid” attacks has been increasing in recent years, especially in London,” said Johann Grundlingh consultant emergency physician at Barts Health Trust, writing in the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

https://www.yahoo.com/...ublic-223000419.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's bullshit. Why are they targeting the responsible corrosive substance carriers?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#fakenews Acid doesn't attack people ...

(eta I'm appalled at the numbers, too)
Last edited by: eb: Aug 3, 17 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Acid attacks are pure evil. I would be okay with legislation making carrying around corrosive substances in the street illegal in an effort to stem this.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Acid attacks are pure evil. I would be okay with legislation making carrying around corrosive substances in the street illegal in an effort to stem this.

I'm not sure that would do anything. I don't think these guys are walking around with a bottle of acid in plain sight. How would you enforce it?

(I ask b/c I don't know).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
That's bullshit. Why are they targeting the responsible corrosive substance carriers?

Acid is just a tool like a kitchen knife.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure you would go around looking for people carrying acid but if someone was searched for other reason and had a bottle of sulphuric acid in their jacket I wouldn't have any problem prosecuting that. It's not like a gun which you could argue is for self defense.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I'm not sure you would go around looking for people carrying acid but if someone was searched for other reason and had a bottle of sulphuric acid in their jacket I wouldn't have any problem prosecuting that. It's not like a gun which you could argue is for self defense.

Good point. Yes, I am on board with that as well. I'm still not sure whether it would cut down on these attacks, but I'm open to giving it a try.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

It's not like they're going around carrying it every day for random attacks. It is usually for a specific attack on a specific person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one going to comment on the demographics of the attackers?
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Asian, 4.0 students who are pissed that they didn't accepted into Berkeley?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

What are the demographics of the attackers? Besides "young men."

Lot of the victims seem to be non-white- south asian or middle eastern.
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

What are the demographics of the attackers? Besides "young men."

Lot of the victims seem to be non-white- south asian or middle eastern.

As are the attackers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

As are the attackers

Where do you see that?

Edit. Tough to say. This article says that most of the attackers and victims are white British men.

This other article says "experts say" it's linked to Asian communities. Whatever that means. And that doesn't appear to be a euphemism for "Muslim" if that's where you're trying to lead this. Acid attacks seem to be a cultural thing in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and other places in a way that transcends religion and certainly precedes modern "Islamist" tactics. It was also a thing in Victorian England apparently, so not foreign to the UK prior to "integration" of south asian types.

The infamous UK nightclub attack was definitely a white dude.

It seems like it's hard to nail down demographics because so few of the dudes are caught or get good eyewitness descriptions. Seems to be hooded fuckers on mopeds that zoom by.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 3, 17 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
len wrote:

I'm not sure that would do anything. I don't think these guys are walking around with a bottle of acid in plain sight. How would you enforce it?

If you criminalize acid, only criminals will have acid.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

Only good guys with sulfuric acid can beat bad guys with sulfuric acid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only solution seems to be to have a draconian xenophobic immigration policy like Canada.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you just need to make sure it's easier and less restrictive for the good guys to get acid. Acid on demand, I say. The more good guys there are with acid, the better off we all are.

Hold on, wait, we're not talking about psychedelics? Disregard everything.

trail wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

Only good guys with sulfuric acid can beat bad guys with sulfuric acid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

As are the attackers

Where do you see that?

Edit. Tough to say. This article says that most of the attackers and victims are white British men.

This other article says "experts say" it's linked to Asian communities. Whatever that means. And that doesn't appear to be a euphemism for "Muslim" if that's where you're trying to lead this. Acid attacks seem to be a cultural thing in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and other places in a way that transcends religion and certainly precedes modern "Islamist" tactics. It was also a thing in Victorian England apparently, so not foreign to the UK prior to "integration" of south asian types.

The infamous UK nightclub attack was definitely a white dude.

It seems like it's hard to nail down demographics because so few of the dudes are caught or get good eyewitness descriptions. Seems to be hooded fuckers on mopeds that zoom by.

I read UK papers ... may be the trend has changed, but I the beginning it wasn't Englishmen doing it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamaica had its share of acid attacks about 25 years ago. Scorned women would toss acid in the faces of the new female friend.

Quote | Reply
Only good guys with sulfuric acid can beat bad guys with sulfuric acid
---

Therefore, the obvious solution is more acid. I can't wait until the acid lobby gets up and running. The National Acid Association, NAA, is going to be huge. The only real question is whether we should call the opposition the Antacid Society or the National Base Association (which would probably get sued by basketball).

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Acid Attacks [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Jamaica had its share of acid attacks about 25 years ago. Scorned women would toss acid in the faces of the new female friend.

Reminds of an ex girlfriend.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
What the fuck??? I was certainly aware of these, but had no clue the numbers. Unreal and disgusting.

Acid attacks are now so prevalent that the public needs to be trained in helping victims, the Royal College of Emergency Medicine (RCEM) has said.

The London alone, the number of attacks rocketed from 261 in 2015, to 454 last year, an increase of 73 per cent.

Doctors at the RCEM and Barts Health NHS Trust say that bystanders who come to the aid of victims should be taught to quickly remove contaminated clothing and wash off the acid with copious amounts of water, which can lessen scarring and the need for plastic surgery.

They also called for legislation to make the carrying of corrosive substances in the street illegal.

“The number of high profile “acid” attacks has been increasing in recent years, especially in London,” said Johann Grundlingh consultant emergency physician at Barts Health Trust, writing in the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

https://www.yahoo.com/...ublic-223000419.html

It's all going to tone down when there is no more acid imported from the EU...

As Britannia is unable to domestically produce large amounts of acids...all resources will be allocated to acid the EU. .
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 5, 17 1:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
JSA wrote:
len wrote:

No, if you criminalize acid, the cost of solar power will become completely unmanageable since regular battery maintenance will be taken out of the hands of the home owner.
Quote Reply