Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To those of you who fly overseas [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Four days in Venice is way too long. Two full days is enough.

I have been to Venice a few times and would say 1 day is enough. The crowds are suffocating so a brief visit there and the majority of time in the smaller towns would be a lot more enjoyable.

Quote Reply
Re: To those of you who fly overseas [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken. I think I'll drop one day in Vence and loose another in Sienna, and add three days in Cinque Terra instead.

Anybody been there? Can I drive and park my rental car?
Quote Reply
Re: To those of you who fly overseas [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
Have you traveled to Italy in June or July? We are restricted to that or early August.
Any tips?

Yeah go a different time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
First week in london. Then fly to Bologna. We will have our base at an Airbnb in Siena for a week. Rent a car with day trips throughout Tuscany. Drop off the car, train to Venice for 4 days, back to London.

You check with your credit card company? Neither Amex or Sapphire provided rental coverage in Italy (or Ireland).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
Point taken. I think I'll drop one day in Vence and loose another in Sienna, and add three days in Cinque Terra instead.

Anybody been there? Can I drive and park my rental car?
I agree with others about Venice four days being too long but it depends on what you are there to do and around. I did Cinque Terra many years ago by train, bus and foot so I cannot comment on the rental car. Have you considered going to Riva del Garda or Bolzano since you will be North?

Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Four days in Venice is way too long. Two full days is enough.

I have been to Venice a few times and would say 1 day is enough. The crowds are suffocating so a brief visit there and the majority of time in the smaller towns would be a lot more enjoyable.

Had to laugh out loud about this... agreed, as an average citizen of the New World, don't even bother going there mid season...it's like Disneyland.

LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to tuscany every year in may. Cinque terre is nice. You don't need a rental and driving through the 5 terre would be a pain in the ass. The best way to see the 5 terre is either hike it...or do three towns by boat and then come back and see the other two by train. SO if you are coming from venice you will catch the boat at portovenere, it's a nice seaside town. This will take you through a few of the villages and then drop you off in levanto. I highly recommend staying out of the 5 terre since they are small villages and there is nothing that special in staying there (in my opinion) Levanto is a cool little town with great restuarants and great focaccia. There in levanto you can rent bikes and bike to the secret tunnels west of levanto that is a converted rail road. THere are a lot of cool views and secret beaches to chill out at. Then come back by train to the hit the towns that you missed i.e corniglia is my fav since it is a steep walk up. With the rental you would just park it for the three days in portovenere and pick it up when you get back.

I agree that the typical cities that every tourist flocks to in italy are well...touristy. For true italy, i would keep your car but meander through the tuscan countryside. Places I recommend...lucca (amazing biking and cute city if you go tell my friend Pala of Chrono Bikes that I sent you), The beauty of lucca is that it has an awesome historical city center, amazing food scene, the birthplace of puccini and thus a lot of music. It also happens to be the homestay for a few of the team dimension data riders.

Other great towns in tuscany montepulciano, montalcino, siena, cortona. in chianti, I recommend, castellina in chianti. In siena, I recommend Franco of D.F. bikes who can hook you up with a good ride and if you are lucky he can ride with you.

Finally if you want real cities there are two that I would recommend going to...Bologna and Genoa. They are true italian cities. Bologna has a great food scene. Genoa reminds me of how florence used to be before it got mobbed by tourists. If you do stay in florence, stay in the oltrarno. The other side of the arno keeps it real in terms of food, shops, and feel. Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: To those of you who fly overseas [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gasman, wonderful post, thank you.
To those who commented on Venice, yea, I agree, but I was there with my wife when first married, only for one day, we had a great time. Gondola ride, cocktails in Piazzo San Marco, etc. She's the one wanting to return.

To your post, I have been to Tuscany about six times, all but one for work. Stayed in Florence, Lucca, Forte dei Marmi, and visited the surrounding region. One two week trip with the mom, no wife, based camped in old town Siena, rented a car and took daily road trips to plenty of small town, plus a few of the well known ones. Really enjoyed mingling with the natives, my mom still speaks a little Italian.

This upcoming trip will be with the wife only. She likes to stroll around the old cities, but is interesed in the modern Italian cities as well. We've visited enough cathedrals and museums to last us. I would love to ride bikes all around, but it's not her thing.

The itinery is still evolving, but we fly into Bologna, then drive toSiena. I would like to keep Siena as a base camp for at least 5 nights. Then something else for week. Venice may get reduced to 2 nights, but right before we head back to Bolgna. Riomaggiore looks interesting to hang out for maybe three nights. I guess I need to find out if I can drive ( and park) there. Don't need to see all 5 Terra's . I will look into all of the places you, TravelMama, and others mentioned. Again, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese,

Good so you are experienced with the area around siena. I spend a a week in the montepulciano/siena area every year. Here is some of things I've found to be fun. In Siena, just about twenty minutes on the outskirts is castel monastero: I stay here since it's a sweet secluded resort. However, you don't have to stay here but the restaurants at this resort are really, really good. The formal one is a gordon ramsey branded restaurant called contrada but the real deal is the more casual restaurant in the cave (cantina). This is a great place for a romantic dinner. Lots of local italians show up here.

Montepulciano is a great little town. Steep uphills but really cute. Check out http://www.palazzoricci.com/. This is a music school which does summer performances of classical music. Great for chilling out to performances. Great little restauarant in montepulciano is: Locanda Cicolina just on the outskirts of town. Great food.

Another town to visit is Castiglione del Lago on lake trasimeno. Lake trasimeno is a cool little lake that is refreshing especially if it is warm. There is a nice paved pathway that goes out of the base of the castle here which you can wander.

If you are into thermal spas a famous area is chianciano Terme. I am not a spa person so can't vouch for it although this area is supposed to be nice.

Finally another hidden gem of a restaurant is Il Bucchero in Chiusi. Chiusi is a non descript town but I love this restuarant and make the drive from montepulciano every year to eat here. The owner and chef was a regional champion cyclist so a little bit more appeal. His pizza's are famous and his linguini is fantastic! This place is filled with the locals so you know it is legit.

If you spend three days at riomaggore you can easily see the other 4 towns. You'll know what I'm saying when you get there. Also if you feel a little too claustrophobic in the 5 terre, hit either porto venere or levanto for more action. It's such a short boat or train ride.

Finally, I know you will hate this but something for the wife. There is an outlet mall somewhat near you. This place has some good to great deals. I think the prada outlet is definitely overrated as is gucci. But if your wife knows Lanvin...there are killer deals here. The moncler outlet is not that good. The brioni is decent though if you are looking for a suit for yourself. The gucci cafe is surprisingly quite good.

The Mall
Website
Directions
4.01,053 Google reviews[/url]
Outlet mall in Leccio, Italy
Address: Via Europa, 8, 50066 Leccio Reggello FI, Italy

Enjoy your trip and feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next