Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Things to do in South Lake Tahoe
Quote | Reply
Wife and I are headed to South Lake Tahoe for a week the last week in August. Looking to do some hiking, swimming, paddle boarding. Neither of us are mountain bikers but we want to try that too.

Any specific suggestions for things to do?

Also, am I crazy to think we can make a day trip to Yosemite? I want to hike Clouds Rest. Looks to be about a three hour drive. A lot of driving time but seems worth it to me. Would rather have a home base than have to book two places to stay.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Things to do in South Lake Tahoe [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This month? There's almost no way you'll find a place to stay in Yosemite now... It is a nice drive though, drive down 50 to CA-49. 49 to 120 and there's the entrance. August is almost the worst time for Yose though - it's hot, it's dry, most falls are going to by dry (September is worse).

South Lake Tahoe... There's gambling.
Desolation Wilderness. You can section hike the PCT from Echo Lakes off US-50. Glen Alpine Spring is a neat little hike.
Emerald Bay. Very busy. Eagle Falls is right off CA-89. Vikingsholm is a short hike.

Echo Lakes:

Desolation Wilderness, Heather Lake (July 4, 2011):

Emerald Bay, Eagle Falls:

Yose: August 20, 2007. Bridalveil was about 10' of water, 600' of naked stone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philarunner wrote:
Wife and I are headed to South Lake Tahoe for a week the last week in August. Looking to do some hiking, swimming, paddle boarding. Neither of us are mountain bikers but we want to try that too.

Also, am I crazy to think we can make a day trip to Yosemite? I want to hike Clouds Rest. Looks to be about a three hour drive. A lot of driving time but seems worth it to me. Would rather have a home base than have to book two places to stay.

Thanks for any thoughts.
I'm planning the same trip for next year. Day trip to Yosemite - it's over 4 hours from SLT to Half Dome Village. That's a long day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of beaches SUP and Paddle Board from
Hike Tahoe Meadows and the Tahoe Rim Trail, Great views of the lake.

If you make it over to North, Lake Squaw has good hiking and a pool and restaurant at the Top of the Tram at High Camp.
Hike up or take the Tram.

Note, if you want to swim (workout swim) there is no air on top of that lake (IMLT Finisher) and even in Summer that water is Cold.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't address what to do at Tahoe, but I have been to Yosemite many times and hiked Clouds Rest. From South Lake Tahoe to do that hike, you would get to US 395 South and take that to Lee Vining and enter Yosemite via Tioga Pass, since you'd want the Sunrise Lakes trailhead on Tioga Road. I'd guess 3 to 3.5 hours drive each way - a long day for sure, but it is a great hike. I did it several years ago as a thru hike from Tioga Rd and down to Yosemite Valley, but I'm sure it would also be great round trip from Tioga Rd. Probably lots and lots of mosquitos this year, so be prepared!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philarunner wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rubicon Trail around Emerald Bay is a beautiful, easy hike -- not a lot of elevation change. There are places to get in the water at various points on the trail.

I always rent SUPs at Sugar Pine Point state park on the west shore. I've never needed a reservation (though I've never tried on a weekend).
Quote Reply