Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Living with Mosquitos [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are in provence. Apparently tiger mosquitos are prevalent in 33 areas of france though no reported cases of dengue or zika this year ;)

So yesterday i had a guy over to make a screen. For reference they are not common. They exist but are not like the mozzies endemic.

I also caved this morning and bought 3 portable AC units as last night was unbearable compounded by some bad beer
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put one of these in your backyard. You'll have a full colony of purple martins to eat your mosquito.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
We are in provence. Apparently tiger mosquitos are prevalent in 33 areas of france though no reported cases of dengue or zika this year ;)

So yesterday i had a guy over to make a screen. For reference they are not common. They exist but are not like the mozzies endemic.

I also caved this morning and bought 3 portable AC units as last night was unbearable compounded by some bad beer

So do they just think you are a wimp for not wanting eaten? Do they keep a houseful of geckos to eat the bugs?

I can tell when the dogs have scratched a small hole in my back screen door. Can't imagine how many bugs you'd get with no screens. I've got this vision of my house full of moths and Asian lady bugs.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another idea is to get a few bat houses so the bats can eat the mosquitoes . But then you have to worry about bats getting in your house and Im sure you wife would love that!

Seriously, its common for no screens on windows? You must have a guy custom make a screen? Here, its you buy a window and they give you the screen that fits it.
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Screens do not appear to be wide spread but i have seen them. A guy will make me one though
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Put one of these in your backyard. You'll have a full colony of purple martins to eat your mosquito.

I know Purple Martins love those houses, but how are they going to find it when it is on the wrong continent?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a bat house?

H- wrote:
Quote:

I know Purple Martins love those houses, but how are they going to find it when it is on the wrong continent?
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North American bat house or European bat house?

Considering that Purple Martins are an North American swallow, I missed an opportunity to reply with something like this:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You failed hard. 50 Hail Marys for you and all will be forgiven.

Um, aren't all bat houses European since they originated from Transylvania?

I want to put one on my lot, but somehow need to hide it from the wife and neighbors, who will inevitably and inexplicably freak out because bats are "gross and scary." Um, yes, they look gross, but if you have access to a tennis racket you're the scary one. And they eat insects while I sleep. That makes them awesome.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Living with Mosquitos [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I know about rabies was learned from watching Cujo at an age far too young to watch Cujo. Someone should combine Cujo with Hitchcock's classic, The Birds, as an ultimate horror remake. If there can be a Snakes On A Plane, rabid bat attacks would be horror platinum!

spudone wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Another idea is to get a few bat houses so the bats can eat the mosquitoes . But then you have to worry about bats getting in your house and Im sure you wife would love that!

I think the concern about bats in North America is rabies, but that's pretty close to eradicated in Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

So purple martins are not allowed? That's racist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be a company that will come out and spray for them. We did it this year and it is amazing. Can sit outside at night eating dinner and never see one.

As for your neighbor, I suggest Round up. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

what are you doing there? what did you have for dinner ? Is it really Hot? Did you swing by to see the Tour? Parle Vous Francaise?

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on a grand vaccances / sabbatical / not working........whatever you want to call it

Pork steaks / rocket / peas and new potatoes

Hot. 33-35 ish during the day

No tour. Saw tv coverage in uk. Had no tv since moved in. Plus tour did not come very close. Last year there were 3 stages in 3 days within 45 mins of my apartment

We have now moved and no such luck but paris nice will be very close
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
All good info

I am not averse to window frames. Its lead time thats the immediate problem

As stated above they dont seem to be to common here in europe though i have seen a few

Where in Europe are you? Eastern Europe?

Besides, just get the netting and make your own screens..

It is as complicated as changing a tube or a chain on a bike..seriously..

How did you survive THAT long?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I am on a grand vaccances / sabbatical / not working........whatever you want to call it

Pork steaks / rocket / peas and new potatoes

Hot. 33-35 ish during the day

No tour. Saw tv coverage in uk. Had no tv since moved in. Plus tour did not come very close. Last year there were 3 stages in 3 days within 45 mins of my apartment

We have now moved and no such luck but paris nice will be very close

Peas. I bet they are wonderful.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does not get better........
Quote Reply
Re: Living with Mosquitos [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its been 3.5 weeks. So not a life time

There are some other idiosycracies i have noticed that need to be addressed, starting with guttering...........there is none
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

There are some other idiosycracies i have noticed that need to be addressed, starting with guttering...........there is none

And when you get guttering, leave it alone. Pay someone else to clean leaves out. My sister thought she would save a few bucks until the ladder she was using slipped on other leaves and mud. She is still recuperating from her broken shoulder over a year later.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Clearly a higher priority than being eaten alive. ;-)

Besides, I'd be more worried about the coming winter, as I take it that you live in an older structure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next