Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying directly from manufactuer.
Quote | Reply
* note - I am asking questions in a field that I have zero knowledge of. The questions are going to be weird and hard to understand. I beg you patience and encourage you to ask clarifying questions. Also this is boring so if you don't want to help me out I get it and you can skip this.

I am looking at starting a auto detailing business. I am researching what products to use and how to include them in my prices. I am learning that a lot of these products are all the same thing with the same performance. It appears that some companies are buying them from manufactures and slapping their label on it with a hefty upcharge.

I don't have experience buying directly from a manufacturer. Is it worth the effort for me to buy small amounts of a product for my planned one man operation or is it just better to buy in bulk from a company do to the relatively small amounts I will be buying or will some manufactures just sell small amounts to average schmoes? As I write this I think I just answered myself but any input would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying directly from manufactuer. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go to a "jobber," someone who sells directly to auto body repair shops, not someone who sells direct to the public (i.e., AutoZone or Pep Boys.) Let them know you are setting up a business and want to buy from them. They can buy direct from the manufacturer (3M, Dupont, etc.).

My cousins own such a place in Omaha, so I know they exist. They primarily sell to shops, very little "walk-in."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all comes down to what you can negotiate with the manufacturer. They may have little interest in selling a case of wax per month to someone with no business credit history - it may seem too much trouble and risk for a piddly margin. You need to convince them that it is worth it. Apparently there is an art to making a deal. Someone should write a book to guide us.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Buying directly from manufactuer. [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying directly from manufactuer. [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya know if I show up with a bad suit and give a too hard hand shake with a pull in that would pull the nice Chinese man off his feet I bet I could get a really great deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Auto detailing is highly labor intensive. If you are doing things right, your materials costs should be relatively small compared to the cost of the service. In which case, there is not much benefit for a 1 man operation to spend time trying to shave the profit that e.g. Chemical Guys makes in splitting a 50g drum into a 1g containers. More important is finding the cheapest wholesale product that will do the job properly. Spend your effort on marketing - why someone should hire you to do this - you are competing with minimum wage (or less) labor typically from the local car wash. You need to be more convenient and give the impression that you wax rare Bugattis mostly but you'd be willing to lower yourself to working on a 911 Turbo if they tip well.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying directly from manufactuer. [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great points. I plan on this taking a while to build up if I do it. I have taken care of some incredible cars in the past so I need to talk to the owners to see what it will take to use their cars for marketing.
Quote Reply