Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any US folks who have retired as expats?
Quote | Reply
If so, where and how has it been?
Quote Reply
Re: Any US folks who have retired as expats? [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
If so, where and how has it been?

Not yet, but Costa Rica has been looking better and better. More stable government, for one. ;-)

The spousal unit and I could live like royalty on just our military pensions, which is always a big draw for certain expats. We both habla, so that's not a problem, either. We went down there last year just to check it out and came away impressed. Plus, I can pass for a local, so no problemo on that front (the wife's a blonde-haired, blue-eyed Germanic type, but she'll be with me hahahahaha!)

The downside? Well, it ain't the U.S. of A., and you're a long way from home if things start going sideways, government or society-wise. And forget about the embassy and the U.S. Marine Corps riding to the rescue. It'd be fruit city out there.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Costa Rica. I'm a surfer and I like warm weather. But it's not for everybody. And it's not that much cheaper. Food can be quite expensive. The import tax on goods is astronomical. It's super expensive and unreliable to get packages. Don't expect a high level of emergency medical service if you have health problems. Theft can be quite high in certain areas. There is a lot of corruption at the local level in government. Be careful because there are almost no zoning laws so it's possible a night club could open next to your property.

I could list many other issues. That being said, I love living here. Walking to surf every day without a wetsuit in relatively clean water without major crowding is something you can't really get in the states.

I would recommend renting a house and living wherever you're thinking for a least a year before even thinking of buying anything. That would apply to anywhere in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Any US folks who have retired as expats? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We loved it down there. All the conditions you mentioned apply, including that fantastic climate (like Hawaii, just without the super-scary coast of living). But yes; get sick down there and you're going to be relying on the tender mercies of a not-so-fantastic health care system.

Have you had any experience with the "Kidnap rich Americans' phenomenon? Is that an issue in Costa Rica?

Quote Reply
Re: Any US folks who have retired as expats? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the private medical care is top notch here. Medical tourism is quite popular.

Just don't expect half million dollar ambulances to pick you up if you have an emergency.

There is no kidnapping that I've ever heard of. Just a lot of theft. Most people aren't very smart about securing their stuff though. I guess tourist areas always have a theft problem. The local cops don't really do anything about theft, as they probably get kickbacks.

I have a dog and I think that keeps a lot of potential thieves away.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Jul 31, 17 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Any US folks who have retired as expats? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Actually, the private medical care is top notch here. Medical tourism is quite popular.

Just don't expect half million dollar ambulances to pick you up if you have an emergency.

There is no kidnapping that I've ever heard of. Just a lot of theft. Most people aren't very smart about securing their stuff though. I guess tourist areas always have a theft problem. The local cops don't really do anything about theft, as they probably get kickbacks.

I have a dog and I think that keeps a lot of potential thieves away.

Best estimate: what would it take, USD, to live in a decent manner down there?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on where you live. I live in one of the most expensive areas. There are cheaper areas, but I really like it here. I'd say over 75% of the people living here are not Costa Ricans.

Facebook is a good resource. There are a number of groups where you can check out real estate, rentals, classifieds, expat living, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked as an expat in SE Asia and a few of my older colleauges settled down and retired in Thailand and Vietnam. Beautiful and safe, the guys could afford a big home for a fraction of the price back home.

I also know a bunch of Americans who retired in Nova Scotia and New Brunswik - though that barely counts as 'expat'. They can drive back for shopping in a few hours.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Any US folks who have retired as expats? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My BIL worked on the massive Barrow Island LNG project off the coast of western Australia. It was camp work, part of the contract being you were reimbursed for flights in to and out of camp. He said a lot of the people working there set up shop in Thailand, Bali, etc, and lived for next to nothing in paradise on their off weeks, while making huge money in Australian dollars. My BIL, who worked as a lowly janitor, was making ~$90,000/year working three weeks on, one week off.

He was living in Perth, which isn't the cheapest city around, but if you're living expenses were only a few hundred dollars a month like in Thailand or Bali, suddenly that $90,000 is really getting you places (or at least allowing you to save/invest astonishing amounts of money in a relatively short time). Plus, the flight from Thailand is only marginally longer then the flight to Perth!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Jul 31, 17 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been to CR four times. It is a wonderful country. My understanding is lots of petty crime and corruption but low rates of violent crime lower than the the states. Lots of really cool expat people who could show you the ropes. Much easier to pay small bribe to get something like a building permit vs going the official route.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still a few years from retirement but I have been looking at Ecuador or possibly Peru. Hope to visit Ecuador next year.

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply
Re: Any US folks who have retired as expats? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Costa Rica is actually a good place to set up a business if you can run things efficiently. That is the major problem in this part of the world. It's not that people don't want to work hard, although there is definitely laziness in abundance. It's that people don't have any concept of organization and efficiency. Basically there is a pervasive "if it's not broke, don't fix it" attitude.

It actually drives me kind of crazy sometimes. But there are real opportunities if you're really independent and can get things done on your own. There are definitely less regulations. To start a business and get residency so you can work legally, a $200,000 investment required. A house can be considered an investment, because it's legal to rent rooms.
Quote Reply