Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did you sell the car or not?
Quote | Reply
My son just moved back east after being stationed in San Diego in the USMC. He had a 4Runner in CA and says he sold it before he left. Unfortunately, it seems to still be registered to him as he has received multiple unpaid parking and toll violations since he returned. He and the buyer obviously didn't handle the transaction correctly with the DMV, and I'm not sure what can be done about it now from the other side of the country. I assume that until the buyer reregisters the car in his own name, we are going to continue to suffer the consequences. Anyone have any ideas about this, short of reporting the car stolen?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Did you sell the car or not? [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through a similar hassle 20 years ago. I was getting parking tickets. My dad called whomever (DMV?) and they said that I was still responsible for it. He then told them that he would report it stolen, which they said he couldn't. He said, "If we're responsible for it, and we don't have it, then it must be stolen."

Ultimately no one did anything about it. My best recommendation is to call and complain, and document everything. I doubt they'll spend any resources tracking down this person, but you'll need something to fight back with if they ever try to pull you into court for unpaid fines.

Side note: I once let my insurance lapse for about 8 months. I then traded the car in. 11 years later the State of MD came after me for $5000 of unpaid insurance, even though the actual amount was under $1,000. That was a huge pain in the ass, and no one kept any records that long, so ultimately I documented every effort I made to get the information and what happened and when. They allowed me to pay the $1,000 fine.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In many states you can go to the DMV website and complete a notice of sale form. You enter the information regarding the date of sale and the seller. Depending on the state, it can be used as a defense for the seller in the event the buyer does not register the vehicle. Check your state's DMV website.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In California, you should simply file a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability.

After that, you don't have to pay for anything that happens to the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turned in a lease car several years ago. A couple of months later I received a bill for a bunch of toll road charges. Fees, fines, and violations since the car passed through the EZ Tag lanes and it didn't have an EZ tag. I had never driven that car on a toll road.

Looked at the dates of all the charges and it was after the vehicle had been returned to the dealership. I still don't know how it was linked back to me since the car had no plates on it any longer. I had to submit paperwork to the toll road authority that proved I did not have possession of the car at the time. So someone at the dealership drove the car around for a bit after I turned it in.

I had another situation in which they re-routed traffic off a highway to a toll road due to an accident. My vehicle was new and I didn't have my EZ tag yet. So a couple of months later I got hit with a similar letter demanding fees and fines for using the toll road. I called the toll road authority and told them the police had to shut down the highway and routed us to the toll road. I had no choice but to take the toll road that day. The CS rep I spoke with said there were no official road closures that day. I said that's great and all but it nevertheless happened. I emailed her some info. I included a map of where my house was, the highway, and where I was put onto the toll road. There's no reason I would ever take the toll road in the place and direction I did that day. The toll road was also brand new. I asked her to look at traffic patterns on that toll road around that time and I told her I'd be willing to bet a million dollars the traffic on those couple of EZ tag toll booths was 100x what was seen on a normal day. She contacted me a couple of days later and said I was right and the fees were waived.

The DMV, toll roads, etc are generally pretty good about these things. It might take awhile to get it sorted out but my experience is that it will get sorted.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Did you sell the car or not? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Jim, we did find that link about the NRL but we're a little concerned about this part...

Does the NRL remove my name from the vehicle record?
No. Only the buyer's application for transfer, using the endorsed title received from you, can do that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Jim, we did find that link about the NRL but we're a little concerned about this part...

Does the NRL remove my name from the vehicle record?
No. Only the buyer's application for transfer, using the endorsed title received from you, can do that.

This is correct. Filing the NRL will not remove the name, but it can be used to defend any charges against the prior owner after the date of sale.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yep, I always tear off the bottom of the title and file the release of liability paperwork. Haven't ever needed it, but the $3 fee is worth the peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my neck of the woods (MN) if you sell a car it is up the buyer to transfer the title (at least that is how I've handled it) both private party and dealer transactions. That is why the dealer asks for the title too to so they can transfer it over. Private sale I've had to take the title to the DMV on the vehicle I've purchase to register it so the title would be transferred. Same when I bought or sold used vehicles.

One car I sold to a guy got a speeding ticket showed up in the mail but I knew it wasn't mine (still showed up in my name due to the title transfer not updated in their system). Contacted the guy I sold it too and he said he'd take care of it (which he did). I also contacted the issuing county of the ticket to inform them I sold the car and can provide proof of sale (MN titles have a tear off form to record a sale). I've also learned to make sure if private party I generate a bill of sale to have signed by all parties and to specifically state as-is sale (to protect myself and have another more detailed proof of sale document).

But as long as you have proof of sale then you have a leg to stand on to fight it and clear it up.
Quote Reply