Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does?
Quote | Reply
I know just typing the question that a lot of people feel this way. I feel like it's just a way of life, at one time or another.

I also know that I live a life many would be fortunate to have, so many times I feel like I can't complain. As great as it is though, it still has its ups and it's downs, and I feel like recently it's just one hit after another.

Anyone relate?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I mean how much can a koala bear?"

The words, from the song, popped into my head when I was reading your post.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. I live in the startup software world (don't recommend it) and it's a series setbacks followed by brief moments of decent progress. Really wears one down- sort of like sailing in bad weather in that the severity isn't really the issue, it's the duration that gets to you.

Just hunker down and sail through, eventually you'll arrive at your destination or find some calm conditions. Enjoy the hell out of these moments as the next storm is brewing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lave ya.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that pretty much sums up how I often feel:

"I'm in that awkward stage between birth and death"

Hang in there!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I often feel like my life is a rest, strengthening, and recovery period from the last period of crisis while I await the next one that's inevitable & apply what I learned and the new strengths to it. There's a certain anxiety that comes with that, but also a greater confidence each time the next crisis or hard period hits. It's been a longer than normal period of recovery and the clouds appear to be darkening, so....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had one today. On my 2 hour bike ride I got a flat, then stung by a bee on my bottom lip then the skies opened up and it rained about half an inch in under 30 minutes. I made it home and just threw my bike on the ground and jumped in the shower.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago i had a string of expensive gadgetitis... transmission blew on my new car, new treadmill shit the bed and my exactly one year old IPhone died. Then my husband hit a deer in our other car. Thankfully it was all covered under warranty (except for the totaled Honda Civic), but I was afraid to plug anything in for a while!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. Laat 12 months

Brexit

2 days later my apartment burnt down. Currently expect to be allowed back in to it in july 18

14 months on. No insurance pay out. Covering a number of mortgages

2 months ago lost my job

Got new car and fucked up a rim the next day

Rented my house out. Tenant moved in sunday and out monday through no fault of her own and i had 3 months rent up front and because i am kind and her situation was dire told her i'd give her the balance once we had a new tenant

All this has destroyed my cash flow

I will never put myself in this situation again

All first world problems but my year has been mental
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try and rival Andrew

Last three years:

Father passed away from cancer
Family member keeps falling off the wagon (alcoholic)
I transition out of the Army to try and spend more time with my family
While away training for new job, wife is diagnosed with a condition that prevents her from working
2 years later, her disability hearing still pending (so income still at 50% and savings are completely depleted)
New job doesn't pay like it should, and sucks up A LOT of time
To meet the bills, I've sold nearly everything in life I used to enjoy (including my motorcycle I built up myself, my photography gear, one bike, etc)
Wife gets worse, is now pretty much sedentary
I'm so busy in the new place I live, I pretty much know noone. So I work and sleep.. no social interaction at all
Baby momma decides to take me to court for more child support (despite my getting him two weekends a month, two weeks in the summer, over Christmas break, and other times since we live only an hour apart), does things that lower her income on paper, and I get crushed by the courts (THANKS Pennsylvania laws!).
Mother now trying to sell her house since she can't keep up on the bills since my dad died, she's panicked and worried, and I'm the only 'stable' member of my family she can lean on
I haven't had a 'day off' in 721 days (yes, I've counted since the last day I actually just put my feet up and did nothing).

Should I go to the 'cry like a biaatch' thread?

Life sucks sometimes I guess. Thank god I have my bike to ride and clear my head (and no, I won't take that comment to the tri forum).

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [TriTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As i said. Mine are first world problems. Not real ones. I'd not wish yours on anyone

What i will say is the rule about 6 months of cash is horseshit when things go really tits up............you can burn through 6 months in no time when things go really wrong
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not just first world man, doesn't sound easy.

True true... six months is nonsense. I had someone tell me that lately... and I told them if income is more than 10% less than the bills (before food, gas, etc), then 'six months' will last around 2. I had 12 months, and it was swallowed up fast. That advice is truly crap.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never. Aside from no longer having my father and sister around, my life is pretty damn good.

Quote | Reply
Yes. But things are relatively good at the moment (with some less than great stuff on the horizon) so I'm going to enjoy the upswing while it lasts.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that pretty much sums up how I often feel:

"I'm in that awkward stage between birth and death"

Hang in there!

I saw this one:

"I wonder if life smokes a cigarette after it fucks me..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Sometimes when it rains it pours. I try to spend time praying and working out to help keep my mind right and then focusing on the things that I have control over. The rest is up to God.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [TriTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep telling myself it could be worse, which is certainly true; for sure it doesn't sound like i'd willingly trade places w/ either Andrew or TJ above, but for starters we've had 4 family members die within the past year... On the positive side, they were all elderly anyway so kinda to be expected at some point, only not in such rapid succession (and none directly related to one another, so not like there was any domino effect like one spouse following the other). Also, I wasn't personally close w/ either of the 2 on my wife's side, so it mostly boils down to supporting her and dealing w/ the legal/financial/logistical side of things; the one I was closest to was my grandma, who was also the oldest and had the best set-up estate plan thanks to her last husband, so it actually went about as un-traumatically as a death in the family could go.

Meanwhile, the ripple effect of one of the deaths on my wife's side is we're having to move my MiL to a new retirement home closer to us and assuming responsibility for nearly all of her bills, since she's diminished to the decision-making awareness/capacity of approximately a 5-year old at this point, while simultaneously working on cleaning out & selling her old house... And this is all going down shortly after we had a pipe fail and leak inside one of our kitchen walls, spawning a mold outbreak, so once we got our homeowners insurance involved they told us we had to deal w/ it immediately or else they would deny any water damage claim if we waited until after we got any of the eventual estate disbursements in order to go ahead and remodel the kitchen (which had been on our longer-term to-do list already) ~ so now the entire side of our kitchen that includes the sink, dishwasher, and most of the cabinetry is torn out. And this after we already signed up to take an exchange student next month, so he'll get to include backyard camping prominently in his American experience while we scramble to find a remodeling contractor; fortunately this time of year lends itself well to outdoor cooking anyway, only I'm sure the neighbors must have been curious watching us set up a dishwashing assembly line with a garden hose in our driveway last night.

Again on the positive side, we both still have our jobs, and the kids are both reasonably healthy (aside from being afflicted with teenager-hood). Although even in that case, they did have some recent medical bills that we're still paying for (and having to fight w/ insurance to not have to pay even more of it out of pocket). We've had to do some short term borrowing from the kids' college accounts until we receive the expected disbursements from the various estate trusts. I'm not super alarmed (yet) since we still have enough assets on paper, but continuing to tread water over the short-term cash flow crunch as we take hits from multiple unrelated fronts is wearing on us (oh yeah ~ jumping from the current car-buying thread, we also had to replace the tranny on my wife's car last month, so that's at least a year or 2's worth of regular maintenance costs like filters & fluid changes all shot in one wad).

Whine over.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever feel like you go through a period where anything that can go wrong, does? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just let the record state ;) i had an apartment burnt down. No one was hurt. No one died and i was (it turns out) overleveraged relative to cash flow.........

Thats not a problem

I am sorry for your respective losses

Deaths. Illness, they are problems.....

I have two amazing kids. A good life. Its all fine.

Its the minutiae that is stressfull

As a total aside. We had a flood in sept last year with tenants in our house. Water fucks up everything, especially engineered oak laid 3 months earlier.......
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Jul 25, 17 15:20
Quote Reply