Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Airstream
Quote | Reply
https://www.airstream.com/...l-trailers/basecamp/

I really like the look and the size of the new basecamp. A little bummed it only sleeps 2 but probably doesn't matter with a price of $40K. Holy fuck. Talk about paying for a brand.
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd easily prefer an Oliver for similar money, or a Casita for much less. But I'd prefer a hotel room to any of them for much much less money. Anytime I do the math on a trailer purchase I just can't get it to make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
I'd easily prefer an Oliver for similar money, or a Casita for much less. But I'd prefer a hotel room to any of them for much much less money. Anytime I do the math on a trailer purchase I just can't get it to make sense.

The places I would take a trailer don't have a hotel for miles and the ones that are close I wouldn't stay at. I'll check out the brands you mentioned. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Uber driver this past weekend said he makes a killing flipping old airstreams Buy decrepit ones for a few thousand, refurbish them and sell them for $40-$50K. Often the refurbishing is mostly just polishing the exterior metal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obscene price.

This is what bought 3 years ago and absolutely love it.

https://www.livinlite.com/...trailers/CL11FK.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just deal with tents. I have an 8x5x6 cargo trailer in which I've installed shelves and cabinets, a sink, battery with inverter, solar charging, microwave, and an Arb 12V fridge. Then we fill it up with tents, food, bikes, kayaks (folding), sleeping bags and cots, shower, etc. It takes time to set everything up and take down but I guess we have a lot of living space relative to a travel trailer. Hopefully as the kids get bigger they can help and it will go faster.

Where I wish I had the travel trailer is when it's very hot, very cold, or where there is no camping except among other trailers. I like the Oliver because it is super well insulated and its solid fiberglass construction is super durable. But at over 50K for one big enough for 4 people (and it would be tight) plus the storage costs I just can't get myself to do it...maybe if I was going twice a month but its more like 4 times a year. Maybe a retirement present if I've got sufficient funds then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if they are overpriced, but a lot more than I would spend for the space you get. They are very well made and most of them that have ever been made are still in use. You can't say that about most lines. Most trailer brands are cheaply made and many don't last 10 years.

When I retire I would like to tour the US. I'm looking for something to use for several months at a time in the summer and then in the winter in FL or AZ to avoid winters. So I want to something with slides that is fairly comfortable. Airstreams all just look too small to live in.
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:

This has probably been around a while but I just saw it a few weeks ago. "If by camping you mean a hotel with a view of the woods, then yes, I like camping." My go to has always been, "my idea of roughing it is basic cable."

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Obscene price.

This is what bought 3 years ago and absolutely love it.

https://www.livinlite.com/...trailers/CL11FK.html

I remember that thread. I can't believe it's been 3 years. Nice setup and I like the pop out sleep compartment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pop out sleeping area is the best feature. Gives a ton of extra space.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the most tempted by the Tepui rooftop tents. I'd love to throw one on my Subaru. It's still a tent yeah, but the setup and takedown looks amazing, and while not "cheap," it's ~1500 dollars compared to 40,000.

Not the same, but more my cup of tea
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And sometimes it involves rebuilding a rusted out frame and dry rotted floor... Ask me how I know ;). Not quite for the faint of heart.
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your trailer (a/k/a caravan by our UK friends) tough enough to take racing?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
I'm the most tempted by the Tepui rooftop tents. I'd love to throw one on my Subaru. It's still a tent yeah, but the setup and takedown looks amazing, and while not "cheap," it's ~1500 dollars compared to 40,000.

I looked these up. Explain to me the rational and reason anone would want this solution It looks to provide the same basic things a regular tent on the ground would, but with drastically more complex set up, storage space, wind exposure, hassle and cost than a regular tent.

Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Awesome! No. No, it is not.

Quote Reply
Re: New Airstream [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:

I looked these up. Explain to me the rational and reason anone would want this solution It looks to provide the same basic things a regular tent on the ground would, but with drastically more complex set up, storage space, wind exposure, hassle and cost than a regular tent.

Cost: no argument that it's much, much more expensive than a tent. However, I wouldnt be looking at this to replace a tent, but rather a trailer. And as I own a crosstrek already, 1500 dollars is a heck of a lot less than 5, 10, or 20 or 30 thousand (for a teardrop trailer or such, airstream is much more than I'd pay).

Set up: getting it on the car seems to be a bitch, as it's just shy of 200 pounds. However, grab two or three friends, offer them food, and boom, tent is on. As for parking and setting it up, people seem to report anywhere between 5-15 minutes frequently. Not bad imo compared to a normal tent, though a trailer of course is better than that.

Storage space: again comes to what you're comparing it to. A tent, yes, this is much larger, heavier, and more difficult to store. However, much smaller than a trailer.

Wind: I'll link a review down hear that mentions wind. If you scroll about 1/3 down the page it shows a regular tent, next to this in 50mph (if I remember correctly) winds. Seems okay to me.

I won't argue though, it's not for everyone. It's primary draw to me is flexibility. No parking a trailer, or wondering if you can get somewhere with a trailer. I could turn down a trail and take roads to a spot that you simply couldn't take a trailer. And once I got there, it's more comfortable than a tent (theoretically, due to the foam pad, as well as it's not the ground 🤷🏼‍♂️).
It has its pros and it's cons. Everything does.

https://gearjunkie.com/...-car-top-tent-review
Quote Reply