Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Valerian
Quote | Reply
I didn't quite agree with mck414's review, so I'll stick a full review here.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is an adaptation of the "Valerian and Loreline" French comic series. The latest movie from Luc Besson, there are parts that are very reminiscent of the style he employed in The Fifth Element, although less successfully in this film.

The film is set hundreds of years in the future. Over the centuries, the international space station has grown and grown, eventually becoming its own independent world called Alpha, with civilizations from all over the universe working in harmony. City of a Thousand Planets tells the story of two federal agents of the human government, Valerian and Loreline, as they are sent on a mission to retrieve an object vital to the safety of humanity. Fairly quickly, they discover that their mission is not all it seems to be, and they are thrust into a decades old mystery of scandal and cover-up. They must race to unravel the mysteries and expose the players behind the scenes before all of Alpha is placed in danger.

Overall, the movie was ok. As I mentioned, the visual style is reminiscent of Fifth Element in various ways. The general tone of the movie also tries to capture a similar feel, falling short a bit, not the least of which is in the lead characters. The dialogue , especially between Valerian and Loreline, can be extremely stilted and artificial. There are also several "whacky" side characters and cameos that can be momentarily distracting. Lastly, the film attempts a running sexual/love interest tension between the two main characters which never really has any heat or reality to it. Possibly because Valerian comes off as mostly a douche.

The visuals were good, but not awe inspiring. For a movie with "Thousand Planets" right in the title, it felt like the film was basically limited to less than a handful of interesting environments, although a decent variety of alien life was depicted. I found the plot to be pretty straightforward, and kind of a standard sci-fi type of story. This is comic book sci-fi, and you should not go into it expecting sci-fi-fi epic space opera style entertainment.

There's no sex or nudity, very little foul language, and mostly "Men in Black" style violence, i.e. no human blood or injury but plenty of alien goop and decapitation type stuff.

I would say this is a decent popcorn sci-fi film. You won't kick yourself if you wait to see it on cable of Netflix, but I wasn't disappointed with paying matinee price at the theater.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Jul 22, 17 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Valerian [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"City of a Thousand Planets" is wording I had real trouble with. Because it seemed to make no sense. Then I tried 'Tree of a thousand forests' and thought, oh, ok, a tree that you might find in any one of a thousand forests. So an ordinary, average tree.

Valerian and a Completely Ordinary City doesn't sound that appealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to see the movie, but you write a damn good review.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the perspective, as always. Reinforces my sense that this is something for the on demand queue. Though that's pretty much everything these days with a baby in the mix. Plans to sneak out to see a matinee of Dunkirk later this week though...seems like that's one that should be seen on the big screen.

Incidentally, never did understand how The Fifth Element got as much durable praise as it has. Enjoyed it but didn't think it was groundbreaking cinema. I feel the same way about mad max fury road - enjoyed it a lot, though it was beautiful to watch in some scenes, but the fact that it's on best-of-the-21st-century lists by serious film critics surprises me.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Valerian [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Incidentally, never did understand how The Fifth Element got as much durable praise as it has. Enjoyed it but didn't think it was groundbreaking cinema.

I don't know that too many people consider Fifth Element to be "groundbreaking." It's just one of those movies that seemed to gain steam once it came out on DVD and cable. I think it's more about people enjoying the style of the movie than it is about any particular feeling that it broke new ground in film making.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Incidentally, never did understand how The Fifth Element got as much durable praise as it has. Enjoyed it but didn't think it was groundbreaking cinema.

I don't know that too many people consider Fifth Element to be "groundbreaking." It's just one of those movies that seemed to gain steam once it came out on DVD and cable. I think it's more about people enjoying the style of the movie than it is about any particular feeling that it broke new ground in film making.

Fair enough. I feel like the same thing happened with Constantine. Both that and Fifth Element seem to be in the cable rotation pretty consistently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the previews it just seemed like this would be the next sci-fi disappointment. Why does it seem to hard to make a decent sci-fi movie?
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Valerian [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Watching the previews it just seemed like this would be the next sci-fi disappointment. Why does it seem to hard to make a decent sci-fi movie?

Because directors get so caught up in spectacle that they disregard story.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Perseus wrote:

And also because even bad sci-fi films can often turn in a pretty decent box office despite getting mauled by the critics. Particularly if they're part of a franchise or based on a popular book or comic. So studios keep giving them the green light and figure as long as the special effects are good enough to put together a decent trailer then they'll probably at least get their money back.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Valerian [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Perseus wrote:

And also because even bad sci-fi films can often turn in a pretty decent box office despite getting mauled by the critics. Particularly if they're part of a franchise or based on a popular book or comic. So studios keep giving them the green light and figure as long as the special effects are good enough to put together a decent trailer then they'll probably at least get their money back.

I was going to say something along the same lines, basically sci-fi and action movies in general usually suck because the people making them know they mostly just need them to look cool with lots of shit blowing up so screw the plot, dialogue, acting, etc.

Frankly I don't think the majority of people who go in for action movies are the same sort that appreciate a good quality movie, in fact, many would say they dislike them typically with the sentiment that they are "boring".
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Valerian [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
cartsman wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Perseus wrote:

I was going to say something along the same lines, basically sci-fi and action movies in general usually suck because the people making them know they mostly just need them to look cool with lots of shit blowing up so screw the plot, dialogue, acting, etc.

Frankly I don't think the majority of people who go in for action movies are the same sort that appreciate a good quality movie, in fact, many would say they dislike them typically with the sentiment that they are "boring".

Thing is, most good sci fi books are good stories first, and the sci if wonder part comes second. There are plenty of good science fiction movies, but they tend not to be the blockbusters. They mostly end up on the lists of movies that were overlooked when they were in theaters.

Action movies are, almost by definition, not good stories. The focus is on getting in X number of good action scenes, and the plot comes secondary to that goal. Two separate ways of making a movie.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Perseus wrote:

I sure hope they didn't fuck up the sequel to Blade Runner...
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Valerian [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Perseus wrote:

I sure hope they didn't fuck up the sequel to Blade Runner...

Denis Villeneuve as director at least has a good sci fi pedigree with Arrival.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D'Kid & I saw it Friday. She wanted to see it earlier, but with Spiderman: Homecoming, and some others, she & I only got around to it this weekend

slowguy wrote:
The latest movie from Luc Besson, there are parts that are very reminiscent of the style he employed in The Fifth Element, although less successfully in this film.

I get him and Jean-Pierre Jeunet confused [Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Alien: Resurrection]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply