Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Everyone has done things they wish they could go back and change. (Would McCain pick Sarah Palin again?)

But only a fool would criticize McCain's service during the Vietnam War.

McCain is a good man.

I'm cringing, wondering what Trump is going to tweet about McCain today.
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I briefly met McCain when he spoke at the Navy's SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape), school about his experiences in the Hanoi Hilton, and while I have not been a fan of his political views, I respect his experiences as a fellow veteran. I am also fighting cancer as I write this, and would not wish this bane on him regardless of our differences. I just hope his last days are a time of dignity for him and his family, and not some kind of circus which I am sure the media would prefer.
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't expect to see 80.

JSA (or anyone else), this is interesting. and was wondering why you made that statement.

I have a similar viewpoint and once mentioned to a close friend that "I do not expect to die of old age, something else is gonna get me." and he was shocked that I had that perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
Quote:
I don't expect to see 80.

JSA (or anyone else), this is interesting. and was wondering why you made that statement.

I have a similar viewpoint and once mentioned to a close friend that "I do not expect to die of old age, something else is gonna get me." and he was shocked that I had that perspective.

High stress job. High stress lifestyle. I do stupid things (e.g., auto racing, skydiving). History of heart issues (grandfather died at 56, but my dad is in nearly perfect health at 72). I've had a couple near-misses (while on my bike, was clipped by a car traveling in excess of 55 mph). Wifie hates when I say it, but I don't see me getting out of my 70s, if I even make it that far.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
This news makes me wonder if he wasn't suffering some symptoms during his apparent confusion during the Comey testimony. I wonder if he'll step down from his seat.

I hope he doesn't step down. God knows we have few enough people in the Congress that are willing to work in a bipartisan manner when possible. Losing him would further diminish that population. And that's all I'll say about the politics of the situation.

Now that the blood clot is removed, his friend and fellow senator Lindsay Graham reports that McCain is feeling "much better" and is eager to return to the Senate.

I think he's earned the right to decide the manner and moment of his exit from that body, as well as from this mortal coil. God bless him and keep him safe, for he's truly an American hero and a man who demonstrated undeniable courage in the face of the enemy.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a tough diagnosis but I hope he still has some good years ahead of him. I remember part of his speech at the U.S. Naval Academy back in 1993:

I read that the average survival time for malignant glioblastoma is 14 months with treatment. I assume that depends on the stage of the cancer when it was discovered but you're right, it is a tough diagnosis. Only 10% of patients live 5 years or longer and given his age (but depending on the stage), the odds are not good that he would make it that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to interrupt the ballwashing party, but barely a month has gone by for years and years when McCain did not push for the U.S. to bomb another country or get involved in another war. His support of the military was not support for regular soldiers. It was support for the generals and admirals who strive to increase their budgets. For the soldiers (and brown people) who die justify that money, he could not give a fuck. The world will be a better place when his bloodthirsty voice is silenced.
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be correct about your critique of his military policy stance, but that's a hell of a disrespectful way to position it.

Arch Stanton wrote:
For the soldiers (and brown people) who die justify that money, he could not give a fuck. The world will be a better place when his bloodthirsty voice is silenced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Sorry to interrupt the ballwashing party, but barely a month has gone by for years and years when McCain did not push for the U.S. to bomb another country or get involved in another war. His support of the military was not support for regular soldiers. It was support for the generals and admirals who strive to increase their budgets. For the soldiers (and brown people) who die justify that money, he could not give a fuck. The world will be a better place when his bloodthirsty voice is silenced.

You know, after reading several of your posts in the LR, I'm rather convinced that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but like to just come into a thread and make wild, unsubstantiated claims and then disappear without having the balls to defend your statements. You are a troll, pure and simple.

Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

As a fellow retired Navy officer with some 'trigger time', I prefer to remember John McCain for his uncommon valor in the face of a vicious enemy onslaught, one that lasted for 5.5 years. I'm confident in saying that, with only a few exceptions, almost no one here could have withstood such treatment for even a week, let alone all the years he did.

I also think that everyone knows about his feet of clay (and who among us doesn't have those?), including his hawkish views as well as his past 'Keating Five' issues.

McCain's service to his country -- and right up until the markets crashed in 2008, he was leading Barack Obama in the polls during the run-up to Election Day that year -- is what I'm looking at. At this point in his 80 years of life, that's perhaps enough, at least for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to interrupt the ballwashing party, but barely a month has gone by for years and years when McCain did not push for the U.S. to bomb another country or get involved in another war. His support of the military was not support for regular soldiers.

If McCain pushed for the U.S to bomb another country I always stopped and paid attention because I know he wouldn't say that just for the sake of dropping bombs. He was too pro-war for my liking but that doesn't mean I thought he was reckless and definitely did not mean he was willing to put soldiers lives at risk for no reason.

For you to suggest he did not support regular soldiers is complete BS. If anyone had respect for soldiers it was him and if did say the U.S should go to war, it was to protect the soldiers on the ground, not to risk their lives. If someone who never fought and never paid the kind of price he paid was to always push for war (ie. Dick Cheney), I would raise questions but if McCain did the same, I would have far more inclination to trust his judgement.

I couldn't disagree more with what you wrote.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 20, 17 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been a John McCain fan . . . well . . . right up until the whole Sarah thing.

So sorry to hear about his diagnosis.

Perhaps he is about to gain a new insight into the broken health care system in America. Nice to know he has an excellent medical insurance policy that will allow him access to the best treatment possible - access that isn't available to everyone. Maybe as he gains firsthand knowledge of just how broke health care is in this country his new found appreciation for the health care system will motivate him to lead the charge to meaningful change in the health care system.

Just sayin'.

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

http://bscmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [k9car363] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k9car363 wrote:
I've always been a John McCain fan . . . well . . . right up until the whole Sarah thing.

So sorry to hear about his diagnosis.

Perhaps he is about to gain a new insight into the broken health care system in America. Nice to know he has an excellent medical insurance policy that will allow him access to the best treatment possible - access that isn't available to everyone. Maybe as he gains firsthand knowledge of just how broke health care is in this country his new found appreciation for the health care system will motivate him to lead the charge to meaningful change in the health care system.

Just sayin'.

Like me, he's a military retiree so he benefits from Tricare Prime (or Tricare for Life, because he's also Medicare-eligible) and he's personally wealthy, so his health care insurance would be assured regardless, any Senate health insurance plan to the contrary.

Personally, I'm just sending good wishes to a fellow Navy man and hope that he always experiences fair winds and following seas, because he's a true, and truly human, American hero.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Like me, he's a military retiree so he benefits from Tricare Prime (or Tricare for Life, because he's also Medicare-eligible) and he's personally wealthy, so his health care insurance would be assured regardless, any Senate health insurance plan to the contrary.

Personally, I'm just sending good wishes to a fellow Navy man and hope that he always experiences fair winds and following seas, because he's a true, and truly human, American hero.

I absolutely agree that he is a true American hero. I in no way meant to imply otherwise.

I'm merely saying he is about to gain a great deal of first hand experience with the American health care system. He's one of the few politicians currently in office that is intellectually honest enough to connect the dots and see the disparity between what he has access to and what "Average Joe" has access too. He's also one of the few politicians in office that has the clout to move something forward he truly believes in.

"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

http://bscmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer [k9car363] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k9car363 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I absolutely agree that he is a true American hero. I in no way meant to imply otherwise.

I'm merely saying he is about to gain a great deal of first hand experience with the American health care system. He's one of the few politicians currently in office that is intellectually honest enough to connect the dots and see the disparity between what he has access to and what "Average Joe" has access too. He's also one of the few politicians in office that has the clout to move something forward he truly believes in.

Good points, all, sir. Thanks for bringing them forward.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
k9car363 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Good points, all, sir. Thanks for bringing them forward.

What he gets and what others get in health care are two different worlds.Yes he earned it,his service and POW time but dont be fooled he is fast tracked to the front of the line to the best care and it wont be a regional VA hospital,yes he can pay for it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next