Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Drug Expiration Dates: Largely Meaningless, as it Turns Out [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked for some people who sold educational supplies to school boards. Every year about 1-2 months before fiscal year end their was a big spike in orders for the same reason.

big kahuna wrote:
len wrote:
One of our surgeons was doing an MBA and she noticed that there was a wide diversity of suture types being used by surgeons in the OR. So each operating room was being stocked with maybe five times as many suture types as needed. Some were used infrequently enough that they were being thrown out because they would expire. So she got everyone to agree and standardize and saved the system a fair bit of money. The article says such waste could be as much as 25 percent of health care spending but that sounds way too high.

My last couple tours as a commissioned officer in the Navy before I retired were spent as a medical service corps officer and I took the time to get a graduate degree in health care administration. At one naval hospital (Groton, CT) I was the head of the supply department (I'm a graduate of a couple of Navy supply schools). At another, I was the director for administration. We found the exact same phenomenon as far as medical materiel and supplies went, believe me.

The way that government accounting and budgeting and appropriations worked, unfortunately, it was often easier to just go with the flow and buy whatever you could in order to ensure your command received a roughly similar, or even higher, medical materiel and supply budget level in the next fiscal year. In fact, a portion of my FITREP (report of officer fitness, which is a performance evaluation, essentially), would reflect my "obligation rate" as a medical supply officer, meaning I would be judged successful (or not) depending on the percentage of funds given to my command that I was able to obligate (i.e. "spend") in a fiscal year. My rate had to be at 98% or better.

Obligation rate can lead to problems, sometimes, such as when your higher headquarters (BUMED, or the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery) would suddenly throw $3 million or $4 million at you in the last week of August and tell you that you had until midnight on September 30th (the new fiscal year began October 1st) to spend it or lose it. You can imagine the spending/feeding frenzy that would occur, I'm sure. ;-)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Drug Expiration Dates: Largely Meaningless, as it Turns Out [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
I've been saying this for a couple of decades now. So, once again, SH has proven to be ahead of the science on an issue. Although, it would be totally fair to say "What science? There was never any science".

Btw, I am also still waiting for that "science" that says it's a danger to leave my engine running while fueling my car.

In case you prefer to breathe exhaust with your gasoline fumes? Maybe it's for all those people who don't like putting their car in park. Not sure why that's a thing but apparently it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Drug Expiration Dates: Largely Meaningless, as it Turns Out [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was written for the layman, sir, and not one of the many very smart people, including yourself, here in the LR. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Drug Expiration Dates: Largely Meaningless, as it Turns Out [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is partially the reason but also the regulatory requirements around drugs in the US are partially responsible. The FDA approves the expiry date for all drugs approved in the US and requires that data supporting the expiry date be submitted prior to approval (read: before the drug can be sold). So if a pharmaceutical company wants to launch a product with an expiry date of 2 years instead of 1, they need to generate additional data to support that longer date which costs more time and money as well as delaying the launch of the product.

I'm not trying to say this is necessarily a bad thing; but the expiry date on drugs is more a function of how much shelf life is it reasonable to experimentally verify and not when does the drug actually go "bad".
Quote Reply

Prev Next