Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The province of Quebec was hugely controlled by religion a few decades ago and that all went to shit. Most Quebecers do no practice religions, attend church, etc.. Hell almost a whole generation of Quebecers didn't get married because that's how much they don't care about the Church. I am from Quebec (live there from 1 to 18 years old, my parents, all my family and friends are still there and except for my dad, none of them speak English) and now live in BC, have also lived in Ontario, and I can tell you that compare to other Canadians, Quebecers are not religious as all, older generations (like my grand-parents) still attend church but that's about it.

Quebecers are also very close minded and IMO it's because of the language barrier between Quebecers and the rest of Canada. Islamophobia is unfortunately a big problem in Quebec. Hopefully there is some sort of education going on to educate the public in Quebec and stop this racism ASAP!
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because humanity is stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was responding to your claim that discrimination was the "only reason."

There is a lot of tension right now in Quebec after the shootings in the Mosque there and that province has had tensions with the Muslim community for years. The amount of discrimination tends to also be higher, as it does in most places, in the smaller communities.

My friends parents who live there were actively trying to get others to support the measure. I wrote to him this morning and asked what the people who voted no were concerned about. He said that his parents told him it was that they just didn't want Muslims in the town, "they are dangerous" was a common response. I did not hear him say anything about the grave sites causing contaminated water. They might say that now but based on his parents response (based on the people they spoke with), that is just not true. His feeling was similar, the people are basing their judgement on fear.

I lived in a number of small towns in my life and I think that feeling of fear is fairly common right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of Muslims are buried in mixed cemeteries, and I assume that is what they are currently doing there. But there are a few requirements that can make it more complicated. For one, they are buried so they are facing Makkah, so that might require a separate section of the cemetery to keep graves aligned. For another, they should be buried within 24 hours of death, so the cemetery needs to be able to accommodate short notice burials, and needs to be familiar with the burial requirements. Some Muslims just want to be buried with other Muslims or have a place they consider their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
The province of Quebec was hugely controlled by religion a few decades ago and that all went to shit. Most Quebecers do no practice religions, attend church, etc.. Hell almost a whole generation of Quebecers didn't get married because that's how much they don't care about the Church. I am from Quebec (live there from 1 to 18 years old, my parents, all my family and friends are still there and except for my dad, none of them speak English) and now live in BC, have also lived in Ontario, and I can tell you that compare to other Canadians, Quebecers are not religious as all, older generations (like my grand-parents) still attend church but that's about it.

Quebecers are also very close minded and IMO it's because of the language barrier between Quebecers and the rest of Canada. Islamophobia is unfortunately a big problem in Quebec. Hopefully there is some sort of education going on to educate the public in Quebec and stop this racism ASAP!

Riding a school bus from Mistassini to Dolbeau for 3 1/2 months being called a tete quarre and serpent because I was from Alberta was a rather enlightening experience. Albertan's get called racist, northern Quebecois practice it and fly completely under the radar. Hell some of it is entrenched with language laws.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair though the rest of Canada hates on Quebecers just as much if not more haha! But tĂȘte carrĂ©es (squarehead for others in this thread) is a very common insult toward any Anglophone (even if they are Quebecers, because yes these exits but are very rare haha).

One time I was driving in Quebec but the car had an Ontario license plate and the guy trying to squeeze by us in the parking lot wasn't happy with us so he started yelling tĂȘtes carrĂ©es and doing the hand motion, at this point my cousin cranked down the window and started severely insulting him in French! The look on the guy's face was priceless!!
Last edited by: Frenchietries: Jul 19, 17 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Albertan's get called racist, northern Quebecois practice it and fly completely under the radar.

I assume you speak fluent French? Not that I necessarily disagree but you're the guy normally accusing people of Alberta stereotypes.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pffft, you don't speak decent Canadian English let alone Quebecois.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you speak fluent French?

A lot of French people would argue that the French in Quebec don't speak fluent French either...

Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CG is too stupid to understand that French and Quebecois aren't the same language. Same mother, different dads.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [Frenchietries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where the hell does square head come from???

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Canada town votes against having a Muslim cemetery [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I know this started as an insult french canadian (quebecers) would throw at the English people in Montreal because they were stubborn (maybe from not learning French or just because Quebecers see English speakers (aka the rest of Canadians) has stuck up and not being able to have fun)! So the first time I heard of tĂȘtes carrĂ©es as an insult I was living in Ontario (I'm from a very small town about 6hrs from the QC-Ontario border and 3 hrs from Montreal so you won't find anyone there that can only speak English because they wouldn't survive). I asked my friend (who was french Canadian but Ontarian and had just called someone a tĂȘtes carrĂ©es) what it meant and he said: It's because they are stubborn and their heads don't fit in the hole!

VoilĂ !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah get lost! This is the equivalent of telling a canadian they don't speak english because they don't have the british accent and expressions! France French actually uses more anglicized words than Quebec French!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
CG is too stupid to understand that French and Quebecois aren't the same language. Same mother, different dads.

Other than the fact that my dad was from Quebec and I've lived in France. Fuck you dumbo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No fuck you Dumbo, unlike you, I've actually lived in Quebec. The fact that you think that continental French is the same as Quebecois screams poser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlike the two of you I was born and raised as a French Canadian in Quebec. Quebec French is French
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
Ah get lost! This is the equivalent of telling a canadian they don't speak english because they don't have the british accent and expressions! France French actually uses more anglicized words than Quebec French!

I assume Sanuk doesn't speak much French. racin_rusty probably couldn't find Quebec or France on a map.

My French btw is very bad. Dad from Quebec and a mom from UK and never lived in Quebec. But I insured my daughter became bi-lingual even though she now lives in BC but she spent her grade 10 as an immersion exchange student in Belgium and plus has a natural knack for languages. Just last week we were on a boat cruise in Ganonoque on the St. Lawrence. An older Quebec woman tripped and hurt herself but my daughter talked and calmed her down since she didn't speak much English and was on the cruise only with another older lady who only spoke Quebecois. She was the only one in the local incident that spoke French. I was proud of her and the way she handled the elder women's situation. The more languages you have the better. I've told my dad the biggest regret in my life is that he didn't teach us to learn French(Quebecois:-)

Just go to the UK or Germany - the difference in accents is as different as French between Quebec and France. Its like trying to say cockneys or Jamaicans can't understand each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great that your daughter is bilingual and good job on make sure she learned, I wish more people realized how useful it can be! Since I was educated in French my kids will have guaranteed admission in a French school (not immersion but one of the very rare French school) here in BC and that's where they'll go to school for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sheesh, I was just joking around.

I will say however that I get the same reaction from every single French speaking Canadian. They seem to really take offense to the fact they have an accent, more than a little defensive. I would think it's a source of pride but I've never heard someone from Quebec say they want to be different than the French.

I speak Thai and have never been offended when Thai say I speak with an accent and they don't mean it as offensive. They're always surprised just to hear a farang speak Thai.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience people in Quebec usually make fun of the France French accent by imitating it and talking about baguette and fromage in a ridiculous manner (which doesn't sound like France French at all) haha! I think what you are saying comes from not the Quebecois being insulted about their accent but more people shitting on the way we speak French saying its not proper French! This is especially insulting when it comes from someone who doesn't speak French, which it usually is. Yes we use different expression and different swear words (Quebec swearing >>>> France swearing btw) but that doesn't make it less proper or less French. The same could be said about American English/Canadian English vs British English!

And no worries I knew you weren't serious! BTW side not if you are interested in seeing the QC-ON vibe from Quebec's perspective I highly recommend watching bon cop bad cop and then bop cop bad cop 2 if you haven't yet (with the English subtitles if you don't speak French since it's half and half)! The movies do a great job at being both self deprecating and making fun on the Ontarians! Watch this clip starting at 50 sec for a good laugh (SurĂȘtĂ© du QuĂ©bec is Quebec's provincial police)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFwBOvlQpU4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frenchietries wrote:
It's great that your daughter is bilingual and good job on make sure she learned, I wish more people realized how useful it can be! Since I was educated in French my kids will have guaranteed admission in a French school (not immersion but one of the very rare French school) here in BC and that's where they'll go to school for sure!

Didn't realize you're in BC. My daughter always complains that she doesn't need French in Vancouver but wishes she had Chinese as her other language. :-) She tells me her French language skills are getting worse living in BC but she passed up a promotion in Montreal because "the winters are too cold in Montreal " and the skiiing is better in BC, Whistler vs Mt Tremblant. Can't argue with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll one up you guys. I work for VAC and deal with French people from Quebec, we have two offices in France so I get France French and then to top it off I live in PEI and am surrounded by Acadian French all day! :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next