Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human
Quote | Reply
Color me relieved! LOL!

Scientists have concluded that Tyrannosaurus Rex -- the king of the tyrant lizards and the great and terrible predator of the land-based dinosaur epoch -- could not have outrun a speedy human (let alone a Usain Bolt ;-).

"Although it was previously thought the dinosaur could sprint at around 45mph, German scientists have discovered that the lumbering beast was so massive it would have struggled to accelerate beyond a medium trot.

In fact, researchers calculated that T Rex could only have clocked a running speed of (1)6.5mph, just one mph faster than the average human, and a 11 mph slower than Usain Bolt, the fastest man on Earth.

And the dinosaur certainly would not have been capable of keeping up with a moving Jeep, as shown in Spielberg's Jurassic Park.

However even Bolt could not have out-run a velociraptor, who would have been one of the fastest dinosaurs with the ability to run at 34 mph."

T Rex could not have outrun a speedy human, scientists conclude

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats okay the T.Rex would have not problem with the 30-40 percent of NAs that are obese. Add in the elderly and very young he won't starve. Next year the scientists might conclude that he could run faster though.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the theory that T Rex was mainly a scavenger and a limited hunter. I will not explain the theory because I am not smart but it's out there on Google.
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Thats okay the T.Rex would have not problem with the 30-40 percent of NAs that are obese. Add in the elderly and very young he won't starve. Next year the scientists might conclude that he could run faster though.

Good points. There's plenty of not-so-fast T. Rex food around my neighborhood, that's for sure. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hippos only go 19 mph. I have no interest in finding out if I am faster than either one.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Hippos only go 19 mph. I have no interest in finding out if I am faster than either one.

Hippos are one of the truly dangerous animal species in the world. I wouldn't want to test my sprinter skills against one of the, either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
j p o wrote:

Hippos are one of the truly dangerous animal species in the world. I wouldn't want to test my sprinter skills against one of the, either.

I've read they kill more people in Africa annually than any other animal.
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I love the theory that T Rex was mainly a scavenger and a limited hunter. I will not explain the theory because I am not smart but it's out there on Google.

That seems to be a big debate, of course as it pertains to this study the essential question would seem to me to be how fast could it's prey run?
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read they kill more people in Africa annually than any other animal
---
My money would be on mosquitos.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Humans?
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Humans?

Mosquitoes and other blood-sucking insects are the scourge of humanity, especially in Africa. I used to be involved, at a low-level, in disease vector ecology control efforts way back in the day, and mosquito-borne disease in Africa kills far more people than war, in most years, in Africa (leaving aside the occasional wholesale slaughters such as was seen in Rwanda in the mid-90s).

The control of communicable disease in man is a gargantuan task in Africa, and mosquitoes such as Aeades aegypti on that continent -- and Culex pipiens (the northern house mosquito) in cooler and more temperate climes -- do much to contribute to our misery, believe me. Far more than war in many instances, if statistics of morbidity and mortality brought about by mosquitoes are any indication.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 18, 17 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Well to be pedantic, they are just the vector, the micro-organisms do the killing.
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Humans?

I guess it needs to be qualified with "wild animal".
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much like the humans don't do the killing, it's the bullets and bombs, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Well to be pedantic, they are just the vector, the micro-organisms do the killing.

Correct, though without the vector (or the fomite, in cases of inanimate surfaces) the impact of the microorganisms would be over a much smaller area.

The whole sexual-asexual life cycle of the plasmodium organism (in the mosquito and the human) was fascinating to me back when I had to study disease vectors during my parasitology classes way WAY back in the day. ;-) P. vivax likes young, wholesome red blood cells, while P. ovale doesn't. P. malariae prefers still other RBCs. Like I said: quite fascinating.

Wiping out malaria is almost like the holy grail of parasitology and disease vector control. Is it possible to eradicate it? Not sure. But we know that Plasmodium and its vector (the mosquito) have killed far more people in Africa over history than anything else I can think of off the top of my head. Shudder!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speak for yourself. I do all my killing with my bare hands.

Mainly just sperm though.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

That's the difference between animals having agency and free will (meaning us) and using inanimate objects to carry out their will. We don't toss bombs and bullets in jail. We toss humans in the clink. ;-)

Bullets and bombs and guns don't jump up off the table and propel themselves towards humans so that they can kill, like some infernal truck out of that late-80s Stephen King vehicle, "Maximum Overdrive." Humans do that. It's about agency and free will, in the case of people.

Mosquitoes, on the gripping hand, are animals and of the class Insecta (after Kingdom and Phylum in binomial nomenclature). They have no agency nor really free well, given they act on instinct. We don't toss them in jail, nor do we toss the disease-causing organism (mostly Plasmodium) in prison either.

Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mainly just sperm though
---

I thought you didn't have any of those left.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Humans?

Most sources I've checked say that malaria (carried by mosquitoes) kills about 1 MILLION people worldwide every year. That's astounding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Mainly just sperm though
---

Some. Just not enough to be useful. And 'some' is still a lot. But apparently you need about 15 million minimum.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jul 18, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Whew! T. Rex Could Not Have Outrun a Speedy Human [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Mainly just sperm though
---

Some. Just not enough to be useful. And 'some' is still a lot. But apparently you need about 15 million minimum.

;-)

Every Sperm is Sacred - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - YouTube

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Humans?

Most sources I've checked say that malaria (carried by mosquitoes) kills about 1 MILLION people worldwide every year. That's astounding.

Seen the same, also seen the claim that it has probably been responsible for more human deaths than any other organism in our history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Well not really, mosquitoes that aren't carriers are largely harmless.
Quote Reply