Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

European river cruises. Whatca got?
Quote | Reply
Doing research, I'm sure someone here has done one.

Looking for the good, the bad, the ugly.

Haven't decided on time of year. Comments?
Haven't decided on routes or cruise lines. Comments?
Quote Reply
Re: European river cruises. Whatca got? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never done one

Always see adverts for viking cruises in the UK

I'd do the danube

Look on telegraph holiday section for reviews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time we were in Germany, driving along the Rhine, it looked like people were all biking along the Rhine, town to town. That looked amazing and it was downhill. I hear people do it along the Danube too. I want to find out about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife went with her mother, Prague to Paris on Viking. She was no spring chicken at 45 at the time, but she was still the you test on the boat. She hated being carted around on the tours, as we are both the kind which like to go at our own pace (which could be fast or slow). She said the food and service was great. She won't do another. Her mother, by the way, loves them. But she's also hesitant to travel overseas on her own.

Personally, for the price, I would stick with a land trip, go to the places you want and see the things you want to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never did one, but would like to try one where you bike during the day and sleep on the barge at night.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: European river cruises. Whatca got? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
. I hear people do it along the Danube too. I want to find out about that.

Danube Bike Trail. Or part of EuroVelo 6. From the Black Forest to the Black Sea.
Quote Reply
Re: European river cruises. Whatca got? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Wife went with her mother, Prague to Paris on Viking. She was no spring chicken at 45 at the time, but she was still the you test on the boat. She hated being carted around on the tours, as we are both the kind which like to go at our own pace (which could be fast or slow). She said the food and service was great. She won't do another. Her mother, by the way, loves them. But she's also hesitant to travel overseas on her own.

Personally, for the price, I would stick with a land trip, go to the places you want and see the things you want to see.

Ideally for us, we would like to have the ship travel at night nd have the days in a new city to ourselves. I really don't like the package tours like w did on the Mediterranean cruise. But we did like the fact we got to see 10 cities without having to haul luggage. The river cruise ship would be just like a really nice bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

Ideally for us, we would like to have the ship travel at night nd have the days in a new city to ourselves. I really don't like the package tours like w did on the Mediterranean cruise. But we did like the fact we got to see 10 cities without having to haul luggage. The river cruise ship would be just like a really nice bus.
On Viking she didn't get that very often. For example, she's a history buff and was really excited pre-trip when she saw a stop at Nuremberg. The tour didn't discuss the war trials, and she got a whopping 30 minutes after the group tour to do her own thing. Personally, I would pick a country where you could do day trips to various locales and return to the same hotel if luggage is that big a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: European river cruises. Whatca got? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

The premise of the Viking cruises look good, but I am not ready to cruise with that age group of people, maybe in 15 years but not now.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Germany and my parents did a river boat tour last time they came to visit. They went Amsterdam to Basel. They enjoyed the tour but they're 70 years old and were considered the young ones on the boat.
Quote Reply
Re: European river cruises. Whatca got? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Last time we were in Germany, driving along the Rhine, it looked like people were all biking along the Rhine, town to town. That looked amazing and it was downhill. I hear people do it along the Danube too. I want to find out about that.

That would be heaven for me and hell for her.
Quote Reply