Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit
Quote | Reply
Now THIS is the 21st century I was hoping for. Soon, it'll be all "Beam me up, Scotty" and such. :-)

Okay, so it was just a photon, but you have to start somewhere, right? LOL!

First Object Teleported from Earth to Orbit - MIT Technology Review

"Today, the Micius team announced the results of its first experiments. The team created the first satellite-to-ground quantum network, in the process smashing the record for the longest distance over which entanglement has been measured. And they’ve used this quantum network to teleport the first object from the ground to orbit.

Teleportation has become a standard operation in quantum optics labs around the world. The technique relies on the strange phenomenon of entanglement. This occurs when two quantum objects, such as photons, form at the same instant and point in space and so share the same existence. In technical terms, they are described by the same wave function."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand it, it is more of an instant transfer of information. Still very cool. Could eliminate the delay in communication for deep space exploration.
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F.. Teleportors. We're one step away from Replicators B*tch.

https://www.livescience.com/...-printed-cheese.html

Well, if you wanted everything replicated to taste like cheese.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All kinds of awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
F.. Teleportors. We're one step away from Replicators B*tch.

https://www.livescience.com/...-printed-cheese.html

Well, if you wanted everything replicated to taste like cheese.

Well, can they replicate me? But with Ah-nuld muscles this time around? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you were in the tropics and they teleported you as a copy right down to the most elemental particle to the north pole (as examples) - - - would you be in two places at once, one hot and one cold?
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
if you were in the tropics and they teleported you as a copy right down to the most elemental particle to the north pole (as examples) - - - would you be in two places at once, one hot and one cold?

Had this debate with the wife recently. If you are teleported/copied, do the operators have to delete/kill the original?
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Had this debate with the wife recently. If you are teleported/copied, do the operators have to delete/kill the original?

If you have time, here's a well written (and funny) take on the subject: https://waitbutwhy.com/...t-makes-you-you.html. Scroll down to "The Teletransporter Thought Experiment".
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next we fold space.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [Doru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this like the trash can on the computer where it is not really deleted but available to be overwritten?
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Next we fold space.

This could solve my new weight problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
As I understand it, it is more of an instant transfer of information. Still very cool. Could eliminate the delay in communication for deep space exploration.

Yeah it's not teleportation like anyone would think of as actual teleportation.

They basically had a particle on earth and a particle on the satellite and were able to transfer the quantum state of the earth particle to the one on the satellite. Cool but not groundbreaking for the reasons they're acting like in the news.

The groundbreaking is the distance not the process. The process is done easily on earth in labs. But it is starting to set the stage for quantum internet.
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
knewbike wrote:

They basically had a particle on earth and a particle on the satellite and were able to transfer the quantum state of the earth particle to the one on the satellite. Cool but not groundbreaking for the reasons they're acting like in the news.

The groundbreaking is the distance not the process. The process is done easily on earth in labs. But it is starting to set the stage for quantum internet.

Someone on this thread, I think, mentioned the possibility of instantaneous (or as instantaneous as could be made) communication transmissions no matter the distance? Is that even possible?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

I believe this was thoroughly explored in the movie The Prestige. Great movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4gHCmTQDVI

Last edited by: Endo: Jul 13, 17 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Someone on this thread, I think, mentioned the possibility of instantaneous (or as instantaneous as could be made) communication transmissions no matter the distance? Is that even possible?

That's basically what they did the two particles are quantum entangled so when the one particle changes its state the other one does also to the same thing.

I haven't read much about quantum internet but what I believe would happen would be similar to computers now instead of a bunch of 1's and 0's you have quantum states instead. You trigger the particles on your end to a specific quantum state which then triggers those instantly to change and that change is then decoded at the receivers end.

This is what they mean where they're saying a transmission could be fully encrypted. It's not that the encryption couldn't be broken. But there is nothing actually transmitted it is just two particles that are linked over space.

They still don't know why this happens and the math is so far above my head I don't know what most of the symbols they use in the theories even mean.
Quote Reply
Re: Teleportation is Here! First Object Teleported From Earth to Orbit [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider my mind officially blown, sir. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha it's really cool. There is no reason for the news to make it out for more than it is because it's awesome by itself.

I don't know how far off we are on it. Right now it seems to be at the "it's difficult until we figure out how to do it stage".

It's doesn't seem to be in the it's difficult because we have no idea how to even start stage anymore.
Quote Reply