Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wimbledon player knee injury
Quote | Reply
I just saw the video on this and don't understand what took so long? Watching American sports when an athlete goes down, coaches and medical staff are usually there within seconds. The video I saw was 30 sec long and she was still screaming for help with no one other than her opponent there. WTF Wimbledon?

http://www.cbssports.com/...rf-with-knee-injury/

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wimbledon player knee injury [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:
I just saw the video on this and don't understand what took so long? Watching American sports when an athlete goes down, coaches and medical staff are usually there within seconds. The video I saw was 30 sec long and she was still screaming for help with no one other than her opponent there. WTF Wimbledon?

Well it was her knee so time probably wasn't of the essence. I don't know anything about tennis but in soccer medics, etc. can't come onto the field until summoned by the official. That being said, a few years ago a player in the premier league had a cardiac arrest and I'm pretty sure they were heading to him the second he collapsed for no apparent reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It felt like a long time when I saw it too, especially just for at least a trainer or medic to come out. I was watching it live as it happened. The other player started over and then backed away because the injury looked so bad, and she said it seemed like everyone froze. However, tennis isn't a sport where you usually need split second medical treatment, plus Wimbledon is a large complex and it's not really super easy to get around in a cart I wouldn't think. Wimbledon says they had the cart with stretcher there within 1 minute, but obviously she was on the court for awhile while they did some pain management and stabilized her knee for transport.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: Jul 7, 17 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwinj wrote:

I don't know much of anything about tennis so this recollection may be totally off-base - but I thought I once heard that if a player gets medical attention during match play they forfeit the game or something (?). Situation I recall was that player got badly cramped up and was left to try to deal with it himself so as not to get disqualified. If all that speculation has any grounding in truth, maybe there was a bit of a lag while people determined if she had a 'real' injury or was just yelling about something that could be walked off...

Anyway - yes, looked bad and seemed like a long time before the cavalry arrived.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty certain a medic was there within 1 minute

They administered pain relief before moving her

Its not boxing with medics ringside

Its not a budget issue

Painful as it maybe it was not life threatening (not breathing not consious) you'd wait a lot longer than 60 seconds outside wimbledon

Everything feels longer when someones screaming. Go to an ED to find out what it feels like

My wife destroyed a knee in solden. Medi vac off hill. Again, it hurts. Patrol there within minutes. No extra harm done it wasn't a stroke

I think the other thing to add is until the other player saw it. I am not sure they were at all convinced how serious it was
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching American sports when an athlete goes down, coaches and medical staff are usually there within seconds.

Doesn't everyone's health care plan provide this?
Quote Reply