Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Spiderman - Homecoming
Quote | Reply
No surprises here, Spiderman - Homecoming is a nice addition to the Marvel stable of films. If you're into Spiderman in general, the Marvel films, or good family fun superhero stuff, this is a good movie for you.

Homecoming is set soon after the events of Civil War, and sees our hero Peter Parker (Tom Holland) adjusting to his role as a street level hero while dreaming of bigger things with the Avengers. Peter has some shiny new Stark tech and big ambitions, but he's being held back by Tony and his minder, Happy (Jon Favreau), who think he's should stay a minor league player until he grows into his hero role. As he tries to prove himself, Peter stumbles into a ring of villains who have been stealing alien and Avenger tech and selling it on the black market. The gang's leader, Adrian Toomes (Michael Keaton), soon gets tired of Spiderman's meddling in his criminal enterprises, and Spiderman finds himself on a collision course with forces he may not be able to manage.

This movie has all the hallmarks of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The action is good, there is plenty of humor, and they hit on a little bit of relationship/personal growth. In this film, the focus is Parker and how he manages his superhero life, high school, and his friendships, all while trying to prove that he can be a full fledged Avenger. The movie manages to capture some high school drama without turning into a movie strictly for teens, and Holland does a good job playing a legitimately teenaged Peter Parker (even though he's currently 21). There's a healthy dose of Tony Stark and Ironman, and Michael Keaton puts in a good performance as the villainous Toomes, managing to seem genuinely bad without coming off as cartoonish.

The effects and action are what you would expect from Marvel, though I don't see any particular need to do this in 3D. No real foul language, no sex, any very little gory violence.

There are two very short post credits scenes, but neither one is particularly spectacular, and they don't really point to anything huge for future films.

Overall, good family fun. Two thumbs up. A distinct improvement over the last two series of Spiderman films, in my opinion.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spiderman - Homecoming [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but I think you are wrong on the one post credit scene. It certainly hints towards somerhing big, at least in Spideys world. And its really big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many movies do you go see? You're, like, the Ironman of movie watchers. :-)

And thanks for the reviews. They helped the spousal unit and I decide what to go see before she heads off for her two weeks of annual training.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spiderman - Homecoming [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Thanks, but I think you are wrong on the one post credit scene. It certainly hints towards somerhing big, at least in Spideys world. And its really big.

Not sure what you're reading into them, but I didn't see anything hugely significant.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Vulture talking to Scorpion. My guess its this versions start of the Sinister Six. Although Scorpion wasn't in the comics original incarnation of the Six as I recall. Electro, Doc Oc, Kraven, Mysterio, Vulture and Sandman were original version.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spiderman - Homecoming [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
The Vulture talking to Scorpion. My guess its this versions start of the Sinister Six. Although Scorpion wasn't in the comics original incarnation of the Six as I recall. Electro, Doc Oc, Kraven, Mysterio, Vulture and Sandman were original version.

Maybe. Not sure that's huge news. Two more Spiderman movies in the MCU, they've got to have some more villains. Sony started with a Sinister 6 movie before and dropped it. Maybe they'll try to get the idea back in the MCU films.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

Maybe. Not sure that's huge news. Two more Spiderman movies in the MCU, they've got to have some more villains. Sony started with a Sinister 6 movie before and dropped it. Maybe they'll try to get the idea back in the MCU films.

Not huge news generally, but as I said before it is in Spideys world. That's the Legion of Doom for him.
Quote Reply