Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Baby Driver
Quote | Reply
There are parts of this movie that are brilliant and parts that made me wonder if two different directors worked on this film. The basic premise is that "after being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail." The film is driven literally by the soundtrack listened too by the star, Ansel Elgort, who never is without his music. There are good action sequences both on foot and in vehicles. Some gratuitous violence and some good looking women help keep the movie interesting. Jamie Foxx, Kevin Spacy and Jon Hamm round out the cast. If you are looking for a better than average action based movie this would fit the bill but the real star is the soundtrack.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Baby Driver [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
There are parts of this movie that are brilliant and parts that made me wonder if two different directors worked on this film. The basic premise is that "after being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail." The film is driven literally by the soundtrack listened too by the star, Ansel Elgort, who never is without his music. There are good action sequences both on foot and in vehicles. Some gratuitous violence and some good looking women help keep the movie interesting. Jamie Foxx, Kevin Spacy and Jon Hamm round out the cast. If you are looking for a better than average action based movie this would fit the bill but the real star is the soundtrack.

I saw it and I agree with your more than 1 director comment. I thought the kid's dance scene on the street should have been deleted. I wondered if they were trying to make sure to show him as a kid...kinda odd.

As a whole I liked the movie, but would have liked a different ending. Good movie all around.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Baby Driver [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 10 minutes in, I was starting to question our movie selection - because of all the dancing. But, it all worked out. Good movie, fun to watch and listen to. Music was cool. First time I ever heard "Radar Love" in an action sequence - something I'd imagined since I was a kid.

One nit though: Who the hell plays "Threshold" (Steve Miller) without playing "Jet Airliner" right after?? Lame.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I liked it, but there were some odd parts. Some of the dialogue was extremely stilted and stylized to the point of sounding unnatural. And the tone/style was inconsistent, leading to your observation about two different directors.

Overall, I thought it was really entertaining, but it struggled to figure out what kind of movie it really wanted to be.

Spoilers below:

Great set of tunes, and some cool driving. Kind of odd how the main character was basically a savant in the car, jumped over moving cars, and super observant during meetings even with music on, but really the only condition he supposedly had was tinnitus. They really didn't seem to explain why he was such a badass.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this last night. I thought it was one of the best directed and edited movies I've seen in a long time. The only real plot hole was how did Baby learn how to drive like Ken Block in Gymkhana.

The timing of the soundtrack with the action of the car chases and gun fights was spot on. Especially during Tequila.

The opening driving sequence was, for me, better than any other car chase scene in recent memory.

There were lots of nuances in script, soundtrack, etc that if you were paying attention adding a depth that was greater than your typical car blockbuster movie.

I liked it. And I like the ending.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jul 21, 17 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does this compared to "Drive?" Sounds about the same: a Hollywood stunt driver is hired to drive the get away car for a heist. I gotta say, I was skeptical about "Drive" as it started but.....FUCK, it was intense, brutal and so well-written, not to mention well-edited. Is this just as good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur with all the comments. I found the movie to be above average. It is super entertaining but a bit lackluster in the depth department. It is one of those that I am happy I saw in a theater but probably won't see again for a long time.
Quote Reply