Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New York Times Editors Decry "Humiliating Process" of Layoffs
Quote | Reply
Real-world business necessities have impacted the Gray Lady, it seems. And copy editors (most of us in the content provider -- AKA "writer" -- world call them "copy Nazis" ;-) at the New York Times are finding that out the hard way, unfortunately for them.

I have no animus towards the New York Times. Its non-editorial reporting and writing is first-rate, for the most part. But journalism at that level is also a business, first and foremost, and part of a business model that may not be adapting quickly enough to 21st century realities. "Welcome to our world," most writers would tell those copy editors.

Okay, okay: I do admit to just a teensy-weensy bit of schadenfreude, when it comes to copy editors, who are sometimes the bane of an article writer's existence. ;-)

"Using words including “betrayal,” “humiliating” and “covfefe” and suggesting that management had compared them to “dogs urinating on fire hydrants,” copy editors at the New York Times today let executive editor Dean Baquet and his heir apparent, Joseph Kahn, know exactly how they feel about taking the brunt of layoffs and buyouts as the Times expands its reporting ranks."

SIDE NOTE: I would like to nominate "covfefe" as the Stupid Word of the Year Award winner. It can assume its rightful place with other such stupid words, like "macaca." LOL!

New York Times Editors Decry “Humiliating Process” Of Layoffs | Deadline

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: New York Times Editors Decry "Humiliating Process" of Layoffs [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Its non-editorial reporting and writing is first-rate, for the most part.

Or were anyway. For a different take on the current state of the NYTimes, see this from a former NY Times reporter.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: New York Times Editors Decry "Humiliating Process" of Layoffs [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Or were anyway. For a different take on the current state of the NYTimes, see this from a former NY Times reporter.

I read that piece earlier in the week. It's good. And he's always a good writer.

According to the Journalism(dot)org website, "only about two-in-ten Americans (22%) trust the information they get from local news organizations a lot, whether online or offline, and 18% say the same of national organizations, slightly higher than the 14% who say this of the information they get from their friends and family. While the portion saying they have a lot of trust in each group is low, large majorities have at least some trust."

I think that last sentence is trying mightily to put some gloss on what is an abysmal assessment of the state of news media/journalism. Journalism(dot)org also went on to note that 75% of Americans say the news media is biased.

I always strove (outside of this room, in the past ;-) to play my journalist content straight down the middle, as I did in 2014 for PJ Media, which is by any measure a conservative media site. You can see that in my reportage on the 2014 Iowa U.S. senate race:

Bare-Knuckle Brawl in the Hawkeye State as Ernst, Braley Hammer Each Other | PJ Media

I think that I was also fairly prescient in 2014 in covering the Wisconsin governor's race ;-) :

Tightening Race in Wisconsin Could Shape Walker's Presidential Aspirations | PJ Media

I'll say this: there are an AWFUL LOT (and they (journalists) are sometimes an AWFUL LOT hahahaha!) of journalists who have difficulty separating their journalistic duties from their need to engage in advocacy journalism, while disguising that advocacy as nonpartisan work. But many are so far into the ideological swamp they can't even see they're biased. It's one reason I pulled back from journalism and, especially, politics in 2014. After you meet a number of the herd (the pack of journalists covering politics, as well as meeting the politicians, their staffs and aides and various support organizations) you realize there are better things to do with your life than cover this stuff. Like pick lint from your belly button, for instance. LOL!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 3, 17 5:15
Quote Reply
Re: New York Times Editors Decry "Humiliating Process" of Layoffs [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude -- thanks. You did it again. Gave me something to read on the can this morning!

Very well written articles. I enjoyed reading them. Wish you, or others, were still writing like that. But for you personally, you've made a good decision. You are doing something that matters now.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: New York Times Editors Decry "Humiliating Process" of Layoffs [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply