Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone Heard of this Reddit Group "Change My View"?
Quote | Reply
Seems apropos in light of many discussions here. This group (paraphrased and don't hold me to the details) has a published list of rules requiring civil discourse and, apparently, people abide by it. People post a position they hold and, by rule, have to support it and respond to people making the counterpoint. I heard that some threads are 80 pages long (ain't nobody got time for that). Interesting experiment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Heard of this Reddit Group "Change My View"? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would only appeal to people who really like to debate. Where's the fun in that? A well-placed ad hominem and a cat gif are much more entertaining.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would be interesting is if each debate topic was scored, such that some point a question could be answered and settled. Period. Done. Make it sticky.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Heard of this Reddit Group "Change My View"? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
What would be interesting is if each debate topic was scored, such that some point a question could be answered and settled. Period. Done. Make it sticky.

Take a well-respected member of the forum, someone who's taken both 'sides' in the past and delivered convincing arguments, and have them moderate the thread: award a 'best post', 'best rebuttal', 'winning argument' and maybe a 0-10 scale to measure how convincing the counterpoint was.

I wish I had time today to go down this rabbit hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Heard of this Reddit Group "Change My View"? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
I wish I had time today to go down this rabbit hole.

Right. I have more important non-work to do at work today than that non-work work.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds right up my alley so I went and checked it out. I only read one thread so far (on abortion) and I wasn't all that impressed. The brain power seemed lacking compared to this board and another similar board I frequent. I'll try a different topic later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The debate in the movie Old School is the best!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Heard of this Reddit Group "Change My View"? [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
That would only appeal to people who really like to debate. Where's the fun in that? A well-placed ad hominem and a cat gif are much more entertaining.

I agree. If I want real debate... I can visit the triathlon forum.
Quote Reply