Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: America's Cup...Time to change the name? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any team, event, boat, etc., sharing a name sponsor with the name sponsor of the Woolwich scum is, by the transitive property, scum. So, no, the name shouldn't be changed. COYS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're okay with changing the British Open name in golf. Sure.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Cup...Time to change the name? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
If you're okay with changing the British Open name in golf. Sure.
Of course. By everyones reckoning, it should be called the Scottish Open and the name should never be changed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
So first the Aussie's won it, now its the Kiwi's turn

https://www.americascup.com/...eam-New-Zealand.html

Time to change to name?
Discuss

The correct name for the "America's Cup" is "The Cup". So in short, no it's not time to rename The Cup.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Cup...Time to change the name? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:
I guess I really should have posed that question in pink font!

I knew exactly why the America's Cup is name the America's Cup, which is why I asked the question :-)

Shall we discuss the world series then?

What about Lord Stanley's Cup? That fucker never even played in the NHL!

People get too hung up on literal names when it's the tradition and history that is honored by keeping a potentially outdated or inaccurate trophy/championship name.

Quite frankly I liked the pre Buttman days when hockey divisions were named after the men who built it rather. Western Conference, Eastern Conference etc. The NHL and the games history were connected. I wouldn't have a problem with a Hank Aaron conference or or a Babe Ruth Home Run Hitter Trophy. The generic crap is just to PC for my liking.
Quote Reply
Re: America's Cup...Time to change the name? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Quite frankly I liked the pre Buttman days when hockey divisions were named after the men who built it rather. Western Conference, Eastern Conference etc. The NHL and the games history were connected. I wouldn't have a problem with a Hank Aaron conference or or a Babe Ruth Home Run Hitter Trophy. The generic crap is just to PC for my liking.
No doubt, same here. This article is in a similar vein:
http://www.sportingnews.com/...syfobvk136zmxsh3vrde

And I didn't realize it until reading the article but the SB has totally lacked some of the local flavor and identity it used to have when the unique, city-based hokey logos were around...it somehow made a difference, seeing that logo for a year and identifying it with the host city and the roman numerals. You're totally right about the NHL too, those old division names were great, even if they were dated and obsolete it was at least interesting, much more so than the Atlantic and Metropolitan and that shit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next