Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Your whole argument seems to rest on the fact that because there is a "divided by" sign and not a "/" then that means it's a "SAT-like" test, and that means you divide by 2 first, while the rest of the world thinks there is no difference between a divided by sign and a slash. It's a weak argument that you've begun to unravel yourself. You just deal with the brackets (of which the 2 is attached) first, and the answer is 1.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, I did fine on my math tests. Thanks for asking.

The article in the OP points out this very fact. Did you even bother to read it? Or did you fail the verbal portion of the SAT as bad as you failed the math?

Badly.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Your whole argument seems to rest on the fact that because there is a "divided by" sign and not a "/" then that means it's a "SAT-like" test, and that means you divide by 2 first, while the rest of the world thinks there is no difference between a divided by sign and a slash. It's a weak argument that you've begun to unravel yourself. You just deal with the brackets (of which the 2 is attached) first, and the answer is 1.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, I did fine on my math tests. Thanks for asking.

The article in the OP points out this very fact. Did you even bother to read it? Or did you fail the verbal portion of the SAT as bad as you failed the math?

Badly.

[chuckle]
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

The article says it is deliberately ambiguous. You're taking it as being completely unambiguous.

As you're keen on throwing around disparagements about people's education and abilities, perhaps you'd like to disclose your academic and career achievements and allow yourself to be judged.

And BTW, are you claiming 1/2x = x/2?

Sure. I've mentioned this before. I was in the honors engineering program and received my engineering degree from Purdue University. That experience taught I was far too stupid to be an engineer, so I went to law school and graduated summa. Possibly second only to Duffy, I'm likely one of the dumbest guys in the LR. Because of this, I took review classes before taking the SAT, ACT, LSAT, and bar exam. The one thing I did learn, however, is how to take standardized tests and, in turn, how to answer equations like this. I'm not very bright and I get this equation. What's your excuse?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Badly.

Like I said above, I'm obviously one of the dimmest bulbs in LR and even I know the right answer to the equation. Why are so many others struggling with it?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Badly.

Like I said above, I'm obviously one of the dimmest bulbs in LR and even I know the right answer to the equation. Why are so many others struggling with it?

Who is smarter, you or google?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have two camps of belief on this.

Camp 1 believes that ÷ is treated the same as /. If you're in this camp, the answer is 1.

Camp 2 believes that ÷ is treated different than /. That camp gets an answer of 9.

For what it's worth my iPad does not even have the symbol ÷ as a keypad option. I had to copy it from the OP. The ÷ sign is a dinosaur and needs to go away.

The issue is not really with the math problem, the issue is with a #%*#ed up outdated and inconsistent convention in the rules of math and how they are taught to our children.

Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Badly.

Dude, I'm dumb so google. Google calculator says 9, so it got it right.

Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the point. This is intentionally written in a manner that tests your old algebra teachings the way the SAT likes to do. It is not written how it would be in the real world.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Badly.

6 ÷ 2(1+2)
6 / 2(1+2)

Google both of those then come back and tell me that / is different than ÷

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Greg66 wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

The article says it is deliberately ambiguous. You're taking it as being completely unambiguous.

As you're keen on throwing around disparagements about people's education and abilities, perhaps you'd like to disclose your academic and career achievements and allow yourself to be judged.

And BTW, are you claiming 1/2x = x/2?

Sure. I've mentioned this before. I was in the honors engineering program and received my engineering degree from Purdue University. That experience taught I was far too stupid to be an engineer, so I went to law school and graduated summa. Possibly second only to Duffy, I'm likely one of the dumbest guys in the LR. Because of this, I took review classes before taking the SAT, ACT, LSAT, and bar exam. The one thing I did learn, however, is how to take standardized tests and, in turn, how to answer equations like this. I'm not very bright and I get this equation. What's your excuse?

Had places to read maths at Imperial London or law at Cambridge. Chose the latter. I had an engineer living opposite me for my first year. I had to help him with his maths for the first term. At a reunion he turned up and announced he is an engineering fellow at Cambridge. I laughed like a drain and asked him who did his maths these days. He had the good grace to look abashed. I'm a commercial litigator of the sort that (used to - we don't have ot any more) wear wigs.

If SAT questions are intended to be ambiguous (which most people aside from you accept this is) they're not very good questions. I can see it is ambiguous, but a bit of thought resolves the ambiguity convincingly. And until Dr Tigerchik tells me that's wrong, I'm happy holding on that.

Back to my question. Do you think 1/2x = x/2. I guess not, because there's no division sign in play. So we're on the right track.

Do you think 1 ÷ 2x = x/2 though? A simple yes or no will suffice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you a barrister
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread cracks me up in that it is illustrative of human discourse these days.

Four pages of comments.

People submitting their curriculum vitae.

Insults.

Nationalism (?!?)

Humans deferring to how calculators and Google answer the question.

Allow me to add what I perceive to be missing and say that I am offended by the equation because "=" doesn't have a place in our world today given all the oppression and outward racism/sexism we exude. The question is a micro-aggression. Plain and simple.

Oh, and I am a former math major and actuary (my C.V) and the answer to "6÷2(1+2) = ?" is "piss off". It's sloppy and I don't answer ambiguous questions for the point of mental masturbation.

Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
This thread cracks me up in that it is illustrative of human discourse these days.

Four pages of comments.

Insults.

Nationalism (?!?)

Carry on.

Hi and welcome to the internet!
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Badly.

6 ÷ 2(1+2)
6 / 2(1+2)

Google both of those then come back and tell me that / is different than ÷

Here you go: https://productforums.google.com/...ebsearch/kZkTv_WTSxA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
London inns
Quote Reply
Re: 6 ÷ 2(1+2) = ? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Four pages of comments.

Insults.

Nationalism (?!?)

Allow me to add what I perceive to be missing and say that I am offended by the equation because "=" doesn't have a place in our world today given all the oppression and outward racism/sexism we exude. The question is a micro-aggression. Plain and simple.

Oh, and I am a former math major and actuary (my C.V) and the answer to "6÷2(1+2) = ?" is "piss off". It's sloppy and I don't answer ambiguous questions for the point of mental masturbation.

Carry on.

It has gone perfectly. It shows how people will argue tiny tiny points to the death.

As someone above mentioned, when I made the post I had to copy it in since my keyboard doesn't have the division symbol.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?"

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next