Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suspected attack in Paris
Quote | Reply
Developing.

"Suspected attacker drives into police car on Champs-Elysees in Paris."

http://www.abc15.com/...mps-elysees-in-paris

More: http://www.krem.com/...police-car/450238223

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jun 19, 17 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ramadan kareem
Quote Reply
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://apnews.com/...4b21979c064d2d9faad7

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how we ever return to a world where things like this aren't happening on a regular basis.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
jmh wrote:
I'm not sure how we ever return to a world where things like this aren't happening on a regular basis.

Kill all the fuckers who do this, kill everyone in their families, kill everyone who does not oppose them.

And we need to understand that religion in general and Islam in particular is a scourge on modern, liberal western society. It has no place here.

That's how we return to a world where this isn't happening.

Religion in general is the problem? Really? Not the abandonment of the sanctity of human life. Not the desire to encroach upon lands, which has existed since the dawn of time. Not the inherent hatred of those who physically appear different from us, which has also existed since the dawn of time. Not a sense of jealousy between the haves and the have nots. Religion.

Yeah, ok ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
jmh wrote:

Kill all the fuckers who do this, kill everyone in their families, kill everyone who does not oppose them.

And we need to understand that religion in general and Islam in particular is a scourge on modern, liberal western society. It has no place here.

That's how we return to a world where this isn't happening.

I don't think we could kill our way of this problem. How would you propose we go about killing all the fuckers, their families and everyone who doesn't oppose them?

Do you think we could kill them faster than they would kill those that live in modern western society?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't answer the first question "How would you propose we go about killing all the fuckers, their families and everyone who doesn't oppose them? "

I'm curious what the Duffy approved solution looks like, and not just infer it from your response to the second question.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think the US is totally lacking perspective on this. This is not new in Europe. It's a new wave, but it's not new.
The IRA and its variations had their first wave in the mid 70s to early 80s with several attacks killing a total of more than 100, then more attacks mid 80s, then again in the 90s.
The ETA had several waves also. There was also a group in Italy that had a couple of deadly attacks in the early 80s.

What probably differs now is how easily the news travel, and how the media play the fear card.
Quote Reply
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Honestly, I think the US is totally lacking perspective on this. This is not new in Europe. It's a new wave, but it's not new.
The IRA and its variations had their first wave in the mid 70s to early 80s with several attacks killing a total of more than 100, then more attacks mid 80s, then again in the 90s.
The ETA had several waves also. There was also a group in Italy that had a couple of deadly attacks in the early 80s.

What probably differs now is how easily the news travel, and how the media play the fear card.

No disagreement that this is not new in Europe, however the frequency, targets, and motivations have changed over the years.

A quick look at the wiki on Terror attacks in France shows a great increase in frequency and lethality of these attacks in the the since the mid 90's. The most lethal and those with the greatest injuries are all Islamic.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be true, but it's early to say. Clearly the current wave is coming from ISIS and similar groups. We have 2 big events for sure, but the smaller events would not even register in the 70s, 80s and even 90s with no one killed etc. There were many of these perpetrated by the ETA (Basque country), the FLNC (Corsica).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

RAF also known as Baader Meinhof was active 70-80s in Germany.

In Italy you had Red Brigades most famous for killing Aldo Moro.

In Greece it was November 17

70-80s was not quite.
Quote Reply
Re: Suspected attack in Paris [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I'm missing a bunch. I also know that the stabbing stuff etc. was not registered as terrorist attacks earlier on.
For the record, although people in Europe are probably a bit more worried lately, they are watching gun violence in the US the same way Americans look at terrorist attacks in Europe...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I draw a different conclusion than it is too early to tell and there have only been 2 big incidents in Europe when I look at this list.

That format looked like shit... go to link above.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jun 19, 17 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say there were only two incidents in Europe. You were previously talking about France. I was answering your message. I also addressed that many attacks weren't tallied early on. When you actually map the data they come in waves. We have different enemies for now but it's not worse than it was with ETA, the IRA and others. Or some random guy in Norway for that matter...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, I thought you were expanding the discussion when you brought up ETA and IRA etc.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jun 19, 17 11:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Francois wrote:

RAF also known as Baader Meinhof was active 70-80s in Germany.

In Italy you had Red Brigades most famous for killing Aldo Moro.

In Greece it was November 17

70-80s was not quite.
The news media and how people react to news has certainly changed.

Today, how would the media cover the Red Army Faction's Ramstein AFB bombing in 1981 or the IRA's Harod's bombing in 1983 and the IRA's Brighton Hotel bombing of the Conservative Party Conference in 1984. (Along with all of the additional attacks by these and the other terrorist groups active in the 1980's.) How would American's react.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the last point is really important

I think people in general find the thought of school shootings in europe completely incomprehensible

I do not want to get drawn in to a comparison of one type of violence versus another but we should aĺl, as adults, be able to recognise that something that happens with such scarcity in one culture (school shootings in europe OR terrorist attacks in uS) that people find the thought of living with those things looking from the outside in, incomprehensible
Quote Reply