Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Duffy
Last edited by: Duffy: Jun 18, 17 9:56
Re: At niece's graduation at CalPoly SLO... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered standing up and yelling "WHITE POWER!"?

So much for higher education...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I banged a swimmer from there once. Great school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

Was he a sprinter or was he a distance swimmer?

Sprinter. Phenomenal form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

Was he a sprinter or was he a distance swimmer?

Sprinter. Phenomenal form.

Did he have a big cock?
Come on now, you know how a swimmer's dick feels. Of course not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the aggies loved it

Quote | Reply
Duffy FTW!

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surrounded by mechanical engineers from slo as you speak. Some are newbies, a couple been around awhile. I always ask them about the "snowflake's" on campus. They say they never noticed it on campus, they were to busy studying to be engineers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
...and the keynote speaker has spent a full 25 minutes talking about segregation in the south in the 1960s.

Now he's talking about islomphobia.

What happened to "congrats to the class of '17, go change the world, rah rah!"?

Enough is enough.

Btw, when he breaks for applause about 20 people clap out of thousands here.

And yes, he's white.

I was just up there on Friday moving my son out of his dorm.

He was most likely doing sound/lighting for the event (his on-campus job)...I'll have to ask him what he thought of the speech...If he was paying attention, that is ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife got her masters from Regis College (Weston, MA) in May of '16, both the president of the university and the keynote speaker were flaming liberals, the entire graduation was a message of inclusion, income equality, women's rights; all these things that I agree with in principle but totally disagree on scale of the 'issue'.

And here, it was rousing applause through the entire ceremony. Fucking rich limousine liberals (my in-laws included, but to their credit they put their money where their mouth is, one works at a non-profit, they donate tons of time and money to various causes and are also very pro-military).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things must be really bad if the best he can come up with is stuff that happened in the 60s. Pink.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jun 19, 17 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are also around 7,000 engineering and business students.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most significant problem of our age is that we are insufficiently sensitive to the plight of those that do not have our "advantages".

What drives this? Hmm. I'll see if I can't dream up a couple possibilities.

1) With our basic life needs taken care of, we are so comfortable and secure that we have nothing important" to worry about. But for some reason, it is human to "need" something to worry about. So....we find something. Worry becomes a hobby.

2) Some odd human nature trait is emerging where we count coup by expressing more concern about "things" then others. I'm a better person than you because I worry more about < >. And it's not about "honest" concerns, it's about "expressing" concerns because that makes them feel better w/o personal inconvenience.

How can we test this idea that this "obsessive concern about < >" is mostly just a matter of expressing it, of appearance? Lets look at the wealthy. Folks generally consume resources relative to their wealth. If this obsessive concern trait was about honest concerns, we'd almost never see a wealthy progressive "consuming" much. Instead they'd be giving their money away to the less "fortunate". Sure we see some of that in the status quo, but when one looks at who gives money to charities, etc. I don't recall that the wealthy are known for giving away a percentage of their wealth larger then anyone else.

So I submit that we've developed some kind of weird affectation where we see obsessive concern re. another's plight, real or imagined, as reinforcing our own value. The fact that the other's plight might be complete BS, doesn't matter. The fact that our solution to their plight might actually hurt them, say by teaching them to be dependent, or rent control causing housing to dry up, doesn't matter. It does not matter much what really happens. What matters is that expressing these concerns, and especially being seen to do so, makes us feel good about ourselves.

Anyone buy this?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 19, 17 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Well, I hope I'm being clear here. If this were at UC Berkeley or something it would have "made sense" but this was at CalPoly. It's two schools within a school. It has an ag school and science and math school. It is not a liberal school. One could even say it's a conservative school (relatively speaking).

This speech simply had no relevance to...anything.

It was apparent to me by the less than emtuastic applause and looks on faces that most people there thought the same.

Look, I'm obviously not for segregation (the Evergreen student apparently are though) but I just don't know what a segregationist restaurant in 1960s Texas has to do with the 2017 graduating class of a tech school in central California.

And the speaker utterly failed to make the connection. There wasn't even and attempt to make a connection.
Yeah I was just venting because even a year later I can't believe how positive the reaction was to the hyper-liberal speeches at Regis...actually I CAN believe it, but it still bothered me.

Anyway it sounds like someone who's lost in his/her own world, living in a liberal bubble and expecting to find like-minded support whereever they go. As we've grown more politically extreme on both sides we've also grown more insulated, social media and news sites and our interactions with people just seem like there's diversity of thought, people afraid to speak their minds with people who disagree with them, and so you have these people who have no idea that their opinions aren't universal.

That's my take anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: At niece's graduation at CalPoly SLO... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant no criticism of Cal Poly Slo btw. I was an engineering student at San Diego St in the '80's. Was totally brutal. We had 90%, NINETY PERCENT attrition. I waved goodbye to almost every engineering student I knew. But me and my embattled peers always perceived the kids at the Cal Poly's to be the real engineering and other hard sciences studs. I didn't actually know any Cal Poly types, still don't, but somehow I'll always be impressed with them.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: At niece's graduation at CalPoly SLO... [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
I am surrounded by mechanical engineers from slo as you speak. Some are newbies, a couple been around awhile. I always ask them about the "snowflake's" on campus. They say they never noticed it on campus, they were to busy studying to be engineers.

Darn right, CalPoly SLO is the only school in California’s public university system where students actually go to study and get shit done, instead of incessantly crying about every perceived social injustice.
Quote Reply
Re: At niece's graduation at CalPoly SLO... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
dvfmfidc wrote:

Darn right, CalPoly SLO is the only school in California’s public university system where students actually go to study and get shit done, instead of incessantly crying about every perceived social injustice.

I have to agree with you and Duffy. I changed careers in my mid 20's and went to CPSLO, doing another 4 year program. Vast majority of the kids were focused on their future and getting a good education. Way more studying at this campus than previuos school (Long Beach St.). People actually passed up partying because of homework. Pussies. Ag chicks are just hot!

Joking aside, political correctness and a sense of entitlement were the last things you saw there. I saw more kids adhering to the Gordon Gecko principle of Greed is Good than whining about social injustice.
Quote Reply