Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

U.S. Open
Quote | Reply
Scores are too low.

Rooting for Rickie Fowler to win a major.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16 under winning the US Open? The USGA just can't get it right.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't follow golf like I used to, but will never forget watching Corey Pavin win in 1995 at even par. Freaking even par winning a major! That's how an Open ought to be.

TimeIsUp wrote:
16 under winning the US Open? The USGA just can't get it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PGA can't be happy but you can't control the weather. I wonder if they'll make the pin placements just a little bit harder today.

i wonder what other rule changes come out. The only one I heard yesterday wasn't bad. Hopefully they won't go overboard trying to make the game a lot easier to attract players.
My rule change would be free drop in the fairway if you end up in someone's unrpaired divot. Always thought you shouldn't be penalized like that in the fairway.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scores are low but keep in mind this is par 72 course compared to the last 5 years of par 70 courses. So 12 under is more like 6 under thru 3 rounds. That being said, the wind today is going to even things out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnny Miller has to be contemplating hari kari. His 63 is his entire identity and now, on a course set up like one you'd play the Waste Management Open.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ennis is a hard course for the pros when the wind blows. I heard it is going to howl today. Could be meltdown city given the personalities at the top of the leaderboard.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
PGA can't be happy but you can't control the weather. I wonder if they'll make the pin placements just a little bit harder today.

i wonder what other rule changes come out. The only one I heard yesterday wasn't bad. Hopefully they won't go overboard trying to make the game a lot easier to attract players.
My rule change would be free drop in the fairway if you end up in someone's unrpaired divot. Always thought you shouldn't be penalized like that in the fairway.

I agree. I always thought it should be like when the fairways are overly wet and you can pick up, clean, and replace your ball. With a divot, just pick up and replace right next to, or behind (on the flight path) from the divot.

Also, when the courses are "too hard" all the pros complain. "Greens are WAY too fast." Blah blah blah. This is what happens. However, the scores are low...but not EVERYONE is going crazy on the scores. Golf just happens like this sometimes: some guys get hot and shoots well (though more than just some are shooting well in this tourney).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
Scores are too low.

Rooting for Rickie Fowler to win a major.
I'm not sure what the PGA could or should do. There were pros saying the course was playing ridiculously difficult earlier in the week, it's the longest US Open course in history, the rough looks downright unfair, some of the greens look like they're inverted teacups...the weather just hasn't cooperated.

I love when US Open courses make the pros look foolish, one of my favorite memories was Pinehurst with John Daly's implosion:

But at this point, with the precision and length of pros these days you have to have a damn perfect setup and weather conditions to keep the field from tearing a course up.

Anyway, I'm all-in on Fowler too, though Thomas had such an incredible round yesterday I wouldn't mind seeing him finish it off today.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [sea.bryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sea.bryan wrote:
Ennis is a hard course for the pros when the wind blows. I heard it is going to howl today. Could be meltdown city given the personalities at the top of the leaderboard.

It is blowing like a mother today. Nice and cool though.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Methinks it is time to hold the US Open at Pine Valley.

The Devil's Asshole awaits, gentlemen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

Agree. An unrepaired divot should fall under "ground under repair" and play from nearest point, no closer to the hole, free drop.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's the longest US Open course in history

I'd love to see them stop trying to make courses so long. The most difficult holes, and the most exciting, are the shorter ones. Nothing better than a par 4 with a high risk/reward where you could drive it but if you miss, you run into a lot of trouble. Even at the US Open, the most difficult hole is the Par 3. If the course is difficult, it is hard even when the weather is benign.

Make the length reasonable and having some tricky pin placements on fast greens is all you need to make it difficult for the pros. Making courses longer and longer isn't a problem for them unless the wind is up but if it's calm, it doesn't really present any problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

I heard a few guys talking about this the other day and both agreed that they'd rather shoot from an unrepaired divot than a repaired divot. With a repaired divot you have no clue if the grass will hold or what it will happen when you hit it. The unrepaired divot is more predictable.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your lie IMO. If it's a deeper divot and you're against he front edge it's not good.
Also depends on repaired divot , with seed or replaced. I'm guessing they were talking about a replaced divot.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
it's the longest US Open course in history

I'd love to see them stop trying to make courses so long. The most difficult holes, and the most exciting, are the shorter ones. Nothing better than a par 4 with a high risk/reward where you could drive it but if you miss, you run into a lot of trouble. Even at the US Open, the most difficult hole is the Par 3. If the course is difficult, it is hard even when the weather is benign.

Make the length reasonable and having some tricky pin placements on fast greens is all you need to make it difficult for the pros. Making courses longer and longer isn't a problem for them unless the wind is up but if it's calm, it doesn't really present any problem.

I agree with this. Also, fwiw, historically the three most watched holes in golf in order are #18 at Augusta, #17 at TPC Sawgrass, and #16 at Augusta.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Methinks it is time to hold the US Open at Pine Valley.

The Devil's Asshole awaits, gentlemen.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Open [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny to me that I grew up not far from there and that one of the best & greatest courses in the world is located in the middle of South Jersey suburbia. Not really a great area.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply