Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia Plain wrote:

Why Duffy, does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Duffy, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

he'll be your friend if you feed his self-certainty
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
The whole thing is bizarre. The school. The day of absence, The turning on the professor. The protests. The president.

Which is why it's so much in the press. To act like this is typical of what goes on at most Universities is a bit hyperbolic.

However, I think this is typical, but I live on east coast and from conversations with friends and my own children, there are mandatory PC sessions from the very start of orientation and first days on campus. Though it did seem to be less so at my daughters school in WVU. So the amount probably varies, and how much the students get away with would also vary. But this has been going on and probably getting worse for 10 years or more.
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [Virginia Plain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why Duffy, does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Duffy, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

I know, you guys should have a spelling contest.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
SH wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
The whole thing is bizarre. The school. The day of absence, The turning on the professor. The protests. The president.

Which is why it's so much in the press. To act like this is typical of what goes on at most Universities is a bit hyperbolic.

Well, the identity politics ideology is typical. Without Bret Weinstein there is no story here.

That post-modernist identity politics is played at other institutions doesn't mean it's typical.
Well, post-modernist identity politics is played at a lot of other institutions. Without Bret Weinstein there is no story here.

(I'm willing to live with your proposed correction.)
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

I know, you guys should have a spelling contest.

Nonsense, Duffy has not yet begun to defile himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you must be Duffy. Look darlin'. Duffy. The deadliest poster since Forge. What do you think, darlin'? Should I hate him?

You don't even know him.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.

One of the greatest movie for quotes of all time. I must have watched it 50 times during a 6 month Med Float with the other Lts in the company.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
I'm a fan of posting the entire article.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

I like how the gap shrinks when inserting non-college graduates of all races (I guess non-white uneducated preferred Hillary by a WIDE margin) or the fact that Romney received 61% of those same voters or that Trump won over white college graduates at the same rate McCain did but less then Romney or that a majority of white women voted for Trump or that Blacks all voted for Hillary... I can go on but if your smart enough maybe you can read the numbers for yourself, not sure, maybe you can't. Of course we all know that those without a college degree are idiots because hey, if that person had just attended a fine academic institution like Evergreen State... well you get the picture.

mr. mike wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
No no no. It was just the dumb uneducated, drug addled middle American's who voted for Trump because Hillary was a woman and Comey, and emails, and RUSSIA!!!!

Duffy wrote:
Trump 2020 is the inevitable (and unfortunate) backlash.

MAGA!

nailed it, at least with respect to "uneducated".

"Trump’s margin among whites without a college degree is the largest among any candidate in exit polls since 1980. Two-thirds (67%) of non-college whites backed Trump, compared with just 28% who supported Clinton, resulting in a 39-point advantage for Trump among this group. In 2012 and 2008, non-college whites also preferred the Republican over the Democratic candidate but by less one-sided margins (61%-36% and 58%-40%, respectively)."

Nice, I expected you would merely decry it as fake news.

Actually, the thing I found most surprising when I looked that up (and in fact the google search that led me to it a few weeks ago) was looking at the results with respect to the elderly vote. I expected that to have really shifted strongly to Trump, at least as dramatically as the shift in non-college educated whites, but my recollection of the article is that it was very consistent with other recent elections.

I would love to see some analysis on how much of that shift \\was due to non-college educated whites who voted for Obama voting for Trump, and how much of it was due to \non-college educated whites coming out to vote for Trump who simply didn't vote in recent elections. I suspect it was a lot more of the latter than the former. I think that would explain part of the polling errors in 2016. Pollsters were looking at "likely voters" and disregarded some key votes that came from "unlikely voters".
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:

Actually, the thing I found most surprising when I looked that up (and in fact the google search that led me to it a few weeks ago) was looking at the results with respect to the elderly vote. I expected that to have really shifted strongly to Trump, at least as dramatically as the shift in non-college educated whites, but my recollection of the article is that it was very consistent with other recent elections.

I would love to see some analysis on how much of that shift \\was due to non-college educated whites who voted for Obama voting for Trump, and how much of it was due to \non-college educated whites coming out to vote for Trump who simply didn't vote in recent elections. I suspect it was a lot more of the latter than the former. I think that would explain part of the polling errors in 2016. Pollsters were looking at "likely voters" and disregarded some key votes that came from "unlikely voters".
I'd be interested to see how much of it was due to the historic turnout and support of black people for Obama that dried up for Hillary. Look at Detroit and the MI vote, tell me that lack of turnout didn't have at least as much to do with Trump's victory as the HS educated whites.
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think some political scientists would have analyzed the shit out of this sort of stuff by now?
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
mr. mike wrote:

I'd be interested to see how much of it was due to the historic turnout and support of black people for Obama that dried up for Hillary. Look at Detroit and the MI vote, tell me that lack of turnout didn't have at least as much to do with Trump's victory as the HS educated whites.

Absolutely agree with that. I think not only influenced by the lack of enthusiasm for voting for an old white woman, but also probably by "why should I bother, the polls all show she's gonna win ". In a similar circumstance, some of those folks would have gone to vote for Obama anyway because doing so was a momentous event in their lives.

Thisisit, agreed I'm sure this is being analyzed. I haven't taken the time to research it recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Vice News report on Evergreen College... [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
there are mandatory PC sessions from the very start of orientation and first days on campus. Though it did seem to be less so at my daughters school in WVU. So the amount probably varies, and how much the students get away with would also vary.

What is a PC class? and what can't they get away with?
Quote Reply

Prev Next