Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who still uses Twitter? Social Media? Why? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twitter - using it solely for fantasy football player / team updates. Very helpful if you play FF. I unfollow anyone who posts political messages of any kind, from any side / bias.

Facebook - less than 30 "friends", the only friend feeds I "follow" are my wife and college-aged daughter. I use facebook mainly as photo storage and to keep up with businesses / sports teams I frequent and athletic events that I am interested in / register for.

LinkedIn - I keep my linkedin profile / resume current in the off-chance I might ever join the working force again. Interestingly, my wife was contacted on Linkedin by a total stranger with a job opportunity and, as a result, now has a side job one day a week in a growing local private practice. It does work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use twitter mostly to follow people that canoe in Algonquin Park and hockey writers. No real friends on twitter.

Facebook. Yes I have it. It's worthless at this point.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FB - yes. Have had an account since 05. Friends from HS, college, and grad school. Family.
Linkedin - yes.
Twitter - yes. Follow some manufacturers. Follow some game streamers. Follow some food trucks to find out where they are. Follow the MBTA for delays. Follow Strava and DCRainmaker
Insta - yes. Rarely use, rarely check
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
In what capacity do you use social media and does it become just another arm of the ever-present politics in your life?

I only use FB, and it's reasonably politics free for me. Much more so than this forum. Scanning over my current feed I see lots of stuff on kids winning their swimming meets. RAAM cyclists and teams, brewpub opening nearby. There is some political stuff, but not all that much. Personally, I avoid all politics on FB, except for occassionally tweaking some UK types about Brexit. I save assholery for here.
Quote Reply
Re: Who still uses Twitter? Social Media? Why? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Don't use it at all. I see zero utility and only potential for people to say something stupid in 140 characters.

I don't use it. And I agree that 99.9% of tweets are stupid. But occasionally there is sheer brilliance. A clever tweet is like a well-crafted haiku. The economy required by the format can distill an idea down to a 150-proof shot of Everclear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twitter is a complete waste of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never did facebook or any of the others. I did "Google circles" or whatever it's called for a day or so because my brother said it had a few features I would like...sounds kind of like groups on FB now. Turns out no one ever used the googs version of FB so I never really used it either.

I still use text, phone and e-mail to communicate with people. the closest I get to "social media" is this place and few other forums I go to :-)

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch is about as social as I get on social media. I don't use Facebook or Instagram; I use Twitter for local news /weather, hockey and baseball, and some financial stuff for work but that about it (I use purely for news feed and don't tweet myself).

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on facebook every day. I have no political stuff on there at all. Just keep clicking see fewer posts like this or simply unfollow those who post political shit.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and post a lot on each.

Hockey!
Politics and news
New restaurants/bars
Everyone does social invites now via FB
Cycling
Football
Music

What will get you unfriended from my FB is (1) being an idiot, (2) being an asshole Pens fan, and (3) complaining about what I post on my own page. Two people were booted for #2 last week.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who still uses Twitter? Social Media? Why? [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iO4 wrote:
I am on facebook every day. I have no political stuff on there at all. Just keep clicking see fewer posts like this or simply unfollow those who post political shit.

This is me! My FB is loaded with Family and everything Border Collie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Facebook - No. Dropped it 5 or 6 years ago. But have considered it again purely for groups (mostly cycling)

Linkedin - Yes.

Twitter - No. But have considered it to follow some specific news, manufacturers, etc. No political interest at all.

Instagram - No. No interest at all.

Strava - Added it about a year ago. Really like it to gauge my progress against my faster friends/myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only Facebook for me. Never did Twitter, Instagram or Shapchat. We have a very active running/triathlon/skiing community and that's how many of us stay in contact. My feed is full of reports about races and training. There was a bunch of political stuff, but after the election I just hit the hide post on all political stuff. FB seems to have picked up on that and now I rarely see a political post.

We also use FB as a form of marketing where I work and I regularly make posts for that.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Facebook for all the reasons you listed for dropping it. I'm one of the dumb non educated whites that was duped by Russian interference that stole the election from Hillary. I get all my news from there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next