Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You think a suppressor "reduces the power" of a rifle? LOL!!!

For 5.56, a suppressor will, on average, increase velocity by 20 feet per second
You must have meant that it decreases the velocity.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
JSA wrote:

For 5.56, a suppressor will, on average, increase velocity by 20 feet per second

Nope.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/...ocity-of-the-bullet/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [Rod Thruster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rod Thruster wrote:
If I really have to explain it to you it really isn't worth it.

Go watch a video of a suppressed gun on you tube. Makes sound tolerable, reduced recoil, great instructional tool. But the most important aspect is self defense indoors. You know how loud shooting even a smaller caliber pistol is indoors. Let's say you have multiple burglars. You may well be deaf temporarily after the first shot. That is a long enough moment for the bad guy to get the drop on you.

Larger caliber like a .357 or .40 you could suffer significant hearing damage in the short term and small damage over the long.

OK, that settles it. I know who you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The increased length acts like a partial barrel. An additiona 6 inches of barrel would normally add 50 fps per inch of barrel. A suppressor vents some ofnthat energy sonit does gain 50 fps per inch but about 5-10.
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
JSA wrote:

Nope.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/...ocity-of-the-bullet/

Interesting. I don't know how statistically/scientifically accurate someone can be based off a sample size of ten rounds. But there are other sources that support the fact that a modern suppressor doesn't decrease muzzle velocity. Win win.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
         https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.852a074c576d In that vein here is some craziness coming from the other side of the spectrum

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
I also don't know what the solution is.

Turn off your tv.

What's more pervasive and fragmented these days, television (and tv news) or social media and news media sites? What's more impactful?

The issue isn't television, it's not FOX News or MSNBC. It's twitter, Facebook, Vox, Breitbart, HuffPo, Jezebel, NY Post, Red State, etc etc. Idiots are driving further toward the extremes and insulating themselves in news that 'comforts' them and their worldviews.

I agree stepping away is largely the solution, but HOW do people step away? And I don't mean you and me and the LR, I mean the people who're falling down these rabbit holes and becoming more extreme in their political views and actions.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Turn off your tv.

What's more pervasive and fragmented these days, television (and tv news) or social media and news media sites? What's more impactful?

The issue isn't television, it's not FOX News or MSNBC. It's twitter, Facebook, Vox, Breitbart, HuffPo, Jezebel, NY Post, Red State, etc etc. Idiots are driving further toward the extremes and insulating themselves in news that 'comforts' them and their worldviews.

I agree stepping away is largely the solution, but HOW do people step away? And I don't mean you and me and the LR, I mean the people who're falling down these rabbit holes and becoming more extreme in their political views and actions.

Fixed it for you.
I disagree, and that's part of the problem--part of what I'm having a hard time understanding. I have good friends who are very smart, successful people. A decade ago we'd shoot the shit, play golf, have some beers, spend a weekend as a group and politics might come up once if at all, and it was never divisive. Now even when I personally try to stay away from politics it invariably drives any conversation. Trump is a huge, huge reason for that, he's so fucking insane and divisive, but even prior to him it was ramping up.

Politics has just become a much bigger piece of peoples lives, for whatever reason. And I say that about both my liberal friends and my conservative friends and family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this going to be another Days of Rage thing, like in 1968? Because if it is, I'm heading for my tarpaper shack in the wilds of Montana and hiding out until it all blows over, if it ever does.

Violence is never the answer to speech one doesn't like. That way lies true madness and anarchy. That's all I have to say about this sad, sorry and tragic tale.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:

Sounds just like the comments section Ive been reading on the huffington post.
I grew up in OR/WA but joined the military and now live in GA. As a result, most of my old friends are lefty, most of my friends since childhood are righty. My lefty friends believe that there are no lefty assholes. My right friends are entirely aware that there are righty assholes. It's an odd dichotomy.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I grew up in OR/WA but joined the military and now live in GA. As a result, most of my old friends are lefty, most of my friends since childhood are righty. My lefty friends believe that there are no lefty assholes. My right friends are entirely aware that there are righty assholes. It's an odd dichotomy.

I hope you can see how this backfires on you in a funny way
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Sounds just like the comments section Ive been reading on the huffington post.

My experience as well. Not only that, but I have told some of my righty friends they are assholes and I don't get much protest from them in return.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
IHOP wrote:

You can find statements from the NRA and others on the right following the Gabby Giffords shooting as well. Regardless of who they are pointed to, they are tasteless.

You said you can find them, post them.

Ever hear Alex Jones hot takes on Sandy Hook? And the shit from dumbasses on the right following that shooting?

This isn't a right-left thing, this is extremism becoming more commonplace because our politics have diverged so far from center that more and more people hold pretty scary extremist political views. Look at the stories printed in our mainstream media, then take a look at Breitbart, PJMedia, Vox, Deadspin, then look at some of the 'fake news' shit that's corrupting social media that's even further right/left than the sites I just listed.

I do think the far left is becoming more militant - this isolated event and the shit happening on some college campuses as two examples - but this is a bipartisan issue and I truly think a solution needs to be found because we're going down a very scary road imo.

Used to be the village idiot was ignored. Now they go online and find the other village idiots. And then they get into the news as presenting the other side of the story so they get legitimized.

Someone else mentioned it above and it is so true. The comment sections on any story on any topic of an online source goes down the rabbit hole immediately. Being able to say shit without the threat of getting punched in the nose emboldens people.
I think that one of the lessons we're learning from the incredible impact on us, of the new information rich universe of the WWW, is that humanity is even more disappointing than we realized.

Sometimes I wish that there was a better, smarter, nicer group for us to join. I do know of such a group. Dogs.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Turn off your tv.

Fixed it for you.

I disagree, and that's part of the problem--part of what I'm having a hard time understanding. I have good friends who are very smart, successful people. A decade ago we'd shoot the shit, play golf, have some beers, spend a weekend as a group and politics might come up once if at all, and it was never divisive. Now even when I personally try to stay away from politics it invariably drives any conversation. Trump is a huge, huge reason for that, he's so fucking insane and divisive, but even prior to him it was ramping up.

Politics has just become a much bigger piece of peoples lives, for whatever reason. And I say that about both my liberal friends and my conservative friends and family.

Of those in my circle I disagree. It has become a bigger piece of my friends and family members on the left. Not the right. Most who I know are Republican's say nothing. They seem to lead their lives, work, have fun, raise a family and most spend very little time on the internet. My left wing friends and family, it is ALL they talk about. To the point where I've asked several to stop and they can't. They just get angrier and angrier. Sorry, much of the hate and anger I see personally is very one sided.

Of course I have no friends or family members who are Tea Party types. Most are old line GOP, conservative financially who could care less about social issues. All of my left wing friends and family are all social issues all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Gop minority whip Steve Scalise shot . [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
IHOP wrote:

You can find statements from the NRA and others on the right following the Gabby Giffords shooting as well. Regardless of who they are pointed to, they are tasteless.

You said you can find them, post them.

This shooting is due to one thing and one thing only. The hate being drummed up, daily by the left and the American media. I have friends afraid to say they are Republican's because when they do, they get verbally attacked by co-workers. I recently re-read We the Living by Ayn Rand. If none of our left wing brothers have read it, may I suggest you do. It is not typical Rand political fiction. Instead it is a story about living in Russia following the Russian Revolution. I suggest you read it and pay attention to the language. If you are honest it will begin to sound familiar to what you are hearing today from the left, especially the Millennial left.

In the wake of the attack on Pelosi’s husband, it’s interesting to go back and read some of the comments from 2017 like this one, after Scalise was shot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next