Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rowing Machine Recomendations
Quote | Reply
Did a search and got a thread from 4-5 years ago suggesting Concept 2 was the best. Is it still the case? Found none for sale on Craigslist. Searched Amazon and found out they were around $1,000 which is a lot of money for us. Are any of the $300-$400 rowers any good? Don't want to spend $1000 on a rowing machine which I may hate and not use. Also has anyone used rowing machine and found it caused issues with aches and pains?
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [hazben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might post this on the tri forum.

I use a Concept C2 at my local YMCA. I've found rowing to be good for my aches and pains as I'm not pounding pavement and I'm doing something totally different than SBR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert, but spent a lot of time looking for a rowing machine and ultimately landed on Concept 2 as still being the best and only way to go. It took a lot of patience, but I picked up an older, used one for $250 in solid shape. Everything I read led me to the conclusion that even an older C2 is a better value than a new one from another brand, because C2 sells replacement and upgrade parts for all of their models and seems intently focused on quality and longevity.

A Craigslist search won't yield a lot of them at a deal, at least not consistently. Your best bet is to expand your CL geographic search using SearchTempest and then be patient to find one, striking the moment you find an acceptable deal because they move really quickly.

I've only had mine for a couple of months now after searching for an acceptable deal for a couple of years, have been using it for between 35,000 -- 60,000 meters/week as extra exercise in addition to the bike & a small bit of strength work. On days where the weather is crap or I just don't have a block of time for a ride, it's been awesome to do a little more time on it. I'll just start a podcast & jump on it for 10-15 minutes at a time here and there to keep metabolism consistently up, pulling at a pace that doesn't leave me zapped for other exercise if that's in the plan for the day also, and jump on it for 15 first thing in the morning. The energy it gives me first thing in the morning is a really great pick me up, which is keeping me using it more than I thought I would in the summer and seeing better physical results than anticipated. I'll probably get rid of my trainer altogether and make it, a little running, and a little more strength work my primary winter fitness.

hazben wrote:
Did a search and got a thread from 4-5 years ago suggesting Concept 2 was the best. Is it still the case? Found none for sale on Craigslist. Searched Amazon and found out they were around $1,000 which is a lot of money for us. Are any of the $300-$400 rowers any good? Don't want to spend $1000 on a rowing machine which I may hate and not use. Also has anyone used rowing machine and found it caused issues with aches and pains?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C2 is the one used by very nearly every rowing team in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C2s are pretty much the standard.. my daughter rows so I spend too many weekends around boathouses, and the erg rooms are almost exclusively C2-equipped.

I'm currently looking to buy one to supplement my daughter's HS crew training at home. An alternative option to scouring Craigslist (where prices have remained high, mainly because C2s hold their value well anyway, but also because they're now being sought out by Crossfitters) is to contact your local HS/college rowing programs to see how they offload their retired C2s.

I picked up a used Tunturi (similar type to a C2) for $50 from a yard sale last summer but it's missing its display and there's no adjustment on the resistance, but it still gives a solid workout. Never had any issues with it causing any aches and pains.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much what MidwestRoadie said.

I have a Concept 2 that I bought maybe 3 years ago and it took me a long time searching on CL to finally find a used one and at a "decent" price. I still paid $600-700 for it. I can't remember exactly, but it was the going rate in my area (Austin) for a used one based on what I'd seen. They retain their value quite well and they move fast when they pop up on CL. You just have to be patient and consistently check every day and be prepared to act quickly.

You probably aren't gong to find anyone selling one for real cheap unless they are pretty clueless.

Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback folks. Sorry I did not reply back sooner. I have worked a ton of overtime this past week. Which means with all the OT I have enough money to buy a concept 2. Looked around and about the best deal I can find is $940 shipped from Amazon. Have you'll seen any better deals out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's as good a deal as you're going to get for a brand new one. That's a Model D, and used those are still going for $700-800, sometimes with the previous generation display unit at that cost. For some reason C2s buck the exercise equipment trend by not losing a huge percentage of their value the moment they're purchased and used.

hazben wrote:
Thanks for the feedback folks. Sorry I did not reply back sooner. I have worked a ton of overtime this past week. Which means with all the OT I have enough money to buy a concept 2. Looked around and about the best deal I can find is $940 shipped from Amazon. Have you'll seen any better deals out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a C2. I've bought and sold 2 secondhand ones over the years and am now on my third (sold the previous 2 because I moved to places where I didn't have space for them). Both times I've sold one I've done so for more than I paid for it.

They're pretty much the only machine that rowing clubs will use, and as such their build quality and longevity is absolutely unrivalled. They're designed to be used for hours a day, every day, by guys laying down some serious power, with minimal maintenance beyond keeping the chain clean and lubricated and occasionally re-tensioning the bungee cord that retracts the handle at the end of the stroke. If you get one in reasonable condition then your home use is going to place so little wear and tear on it that if you ever do want to sell it on you'll almost certainly get most or all of your money back.

I would probably try to avoid getting one that's brand new unless you can get a good discount, since there will always be some depreciation on anything new (unless it's limited supply with a waiting list). And I'd try to avoid getting one that has seen heavy gym or rowing club use unless it's been well looked after - gym ones can be particularly bad if they've been used by powerlifters and Crossfitters with loads of power and no technique. Rowers at least know what a C2 should feel like and will do at least some rudimentary maintenance themselves if they need to. Ideally try and find one that's been used at home (even the most enthusiastic home user is unlikely to have racked up more than a few hundred hours a year on it) or in something like a company gym where it gets minimal use. If you get a chance to view before buying, then the knackered out ones are pretty easy to identify - the draw will feel rough, and/or the mechanism that pulls the handle back in when you're sliding back to the start of the stroke will have lost tension so the chain will flap around instead of staying taut, particularly if rowing at higher ratings/cadence. Even the most knackered machines can generally be restored to full working order, the parts are all available and it's not that complicated to do it yourself, but unless you're on a tight budget you probably don't want the hassle, and there's always the risk that things are so bad that you end up spending more on restoring it than just buying a decent one.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked around quite a bit and never could find a used concept 2. Plenty of other rowers. Just not a concept 2.

Also what is the difference between the Model D and Model E. I see one has a lower seat? Is there an advantage to that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, the Model E is more expensive and aimed more at gym goers than rowers. I have a model D and have used model Es in the gym, I far prefer the D, the Es feel too far off the ground and less like a real boat. The boat feel isn't really an issue if you're not a rower, but the D is going to give you just the same quality of workout and durability and it costs less money so I'd go for that!

(to elaborate on the "feel" thing, best analogy I can think of is that it's like the difference between driving the regular and SUV versions of the same car. The SUV costs more, puts you higher off the ground, and makes for a more disconnected driving experience)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing to keep in mind when purchasing a rowing machine or treadmill or spin bike for that matter is to consider how it will be used 1-3 months after the initial purchase motivation wears off. A rowing machine does not work well to hang dirty clothes from unless you stand it up and use it as a coat rack. A treadmill is a better choice since the rails offer plenty of hanging space for clothes and towels and such while the platform offers ample space to store boxes and baskets. A spin bike is good option if you are limited in space and need a place to hang ties from the bars or drape jackets over the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to keep an eye on the classified section of the Row2K website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me a LONG time to find a used one at an acceptable deal, ended up finding what was at the moment as good a deal as anything on Craigslist within 500 miles (via SearchTempest). I've only had it a few months now and love it. It's an older Model B that was in great condition and it was cheap for a C2, which is fine for my purposes, but I'm using it so much that I'm already thinking about saving a little of my personal money & buying a new Model D & selling the B to a CrossFit freak for what I paid. It's an awesome workout & convenient.

hazben wrote:
I looked around quite a bit and never could find a used concept 2. Plenty of other rowers. Just not a concept 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hazben wrote:

concept 2 , yes. go gradually or you will wreck yourself.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
hazben wrote:

Yeah I did a search on youtube on correct form to use on a rower and found conflicting videos. Any advice on what form would be best for a person who is 50lbs overweight with terrible flexibility?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concept2 has some videos, I believe on their site but they also have at least 1 form video on YouTube. They break it down into the 4 parts, make it pretty understandable, and suggest working from one part of the form, then the next, and so forth until you have it fluid and complete. I'm not in a place to grab/place the link at the moment, but you should be able to find it on YouTube by searching something like "Concept 2 rowing technique."

hazben wrote:
Yeah I did a search on youtube on correct form to use on a rower and found conflicting videos. Any advice on what form would be best for a person who is 50lbs overweight with terrible flexibility?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hazben wrote:
mustangchef wrote:
hazben wrote:

hahahha , funny. ..not cause you fat.
A lot of the form is based on getting ready for rowing an actual racing shell.
Dial it down so you are using more cardio than muscle at first. say 3 or 4 on the machine. your first workouts will be very short, the machine is deceiving( seems like nothing at all then all of a sudden you are winded.)
Give it a couple minutes at a time , and stretch your lower back and arms and legs. Rowing at 237 is a good easy warm up speed. if you try to kill it early on you’ll be listing it on Craigslist like so many others.
figure 5 to 10 minutes first time on. then gradually increase. always do at least a 8 to 10 minute easy on off warm up with stretching . learn not to hate it. don’t be a slave , it will get you high( rowers high)..which can be addictive. Give it three months and watch what happens . 3 times a week or more if shorter work outs. watch the videos...don’t over stretch into the catch , keep your shoulders down , work up to form gradually as you feel comfortable. Let your body acclimate to the stress. don’t dial past 4.5 on the machine setting. it really is easy on the knees unless you try doing those insane jerk recoveries at 125..pulling your knee sockets apart...it is a machine so it can pinpoint stress at different parts of the body causing overuse injuryhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHnp9fmBLI

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulled the trigger on the concept 2 this morning. After I ordered it I noticed it had gone up $5 from 2 days ago. Hopefully the next time I post here I have lost 50lbs and I am training for my first ironman. Thanks, again for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
hazben wrote:
mustangchef wrote:
hazben wrote:

hahahha , funny. ..not cause you fat.
A lot of the form is based on getting ready for rowing an actual racing shell.
Dial it down so you are using more cardio than muscle at first. say 3 or 4 on the machine. your first workouts will be very short, the machine is deceiving( seems like nothing at all then all of a sudden you are winded.)
Give it a couple minutes at a time , and stretch your lower back and arms and legs. Rowing at 237 is a good easy warm up speed. if you try to kill it early on you’ll be listing it on Craigslist like so many others.
figure 5 to 10 minutes first time on. then gradually increase. always do at least a 8 to 10 minute easy on off warm up with stretching . learn not to hate it. don’t be a slave , it will get you high( rowers high)..which can be addictive. Give it three months and watch what happens . 3 times a week or more if shorter work outs. watch the videos...don’t over stretch into the catch , keep your shoulders down , work up to form gradually as you feel comfortable. Let your body acclimate to the stress. don’t dial past 4.5 on the machine setting. it really is easy on the knees unless you try doing those insane jerk recoveries at 125..pulling your knee sockets apart...it is a machine so it can pinpoint stress at different parts of the body causing overuse injuryhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHnp9fmBLI

Well, now I feel dumb for just getting on it, dial it up to level 10 and row for 30 minutes. That's my typical workout for couple of years..the KISS method. I don't row in real life, just use it to work out at home.

Quote Reply
Re: Rowing Machine Recomendations [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update; Got the Concept 2 last Friday. Finally got to try it out Monday and have done a few workouts since. I am taking it easy and doing 15 minutes at a time at a 2:28/500 pace on the lowest setting. Couple more questions.

Is it better to breath in or out when pulling back on the bar? Does it make any difference.

The workout seems to be bothering my knees. I wonder if I am bending my knees too much (have terrible flexibility) and it is causing the issue. Or if I am pulling back too hard or going back too far? My wife says my form looks fine.

Any ideas what might be causing the knee pain. I run 5 miles a day or cycle 25 and neither bothers my knees. I thought I had pretty sturdy knees.
Quote Reply