Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: About that poster [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm fairly certain it is a direct indictment of the perceived effects of policing black communities, and the message being, essentially, we need to look out for ourselves because the police are enemies at worst, and indifferent at best. Obama is gone, Trump is pro-cop, so it's on us now.

That's not at all what I think the message is saying. I completely agree with you about the nature, ie that its referencing the relationship between blacks and cops, but I don't agree at all that the message was "we black people need to protect ourselves because cops won't," or that "we black people need to protect ourselves against the police."

As I said, the interpretation that I took was unifying in nature, not divisive. The "we" is all Americans, including whites, and including good cops.

It would make little sense to have a panel on a poster that was about blacks protecting blacks, yet include it in a poster with two non black people, and using the phrase "protect each other" rather than "protect ourselves."

Maybe you weren't saying as much, but that's how I'm reading you. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: About that poster [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I think I didn't fully get your interpretation first time around. But I think mine is the correct interpretation, given the context. These are parts of a series in defense of those individuals, in response to specific perceived insults. They're advocating for themselves, in other words, for their particularly problematic issues in the coming age of Trump, as perceived by the artist. The Muslim poster is a direct response to Trump's vilification of Muslims as a group; the Mexican poster is a direct response to the characterization of illegal Mexican immigrants as rapists and murderers. What, specifically, is the young black person's issue, in the year of #blacklivesmatter and the election of Law and Order President Trump? It only makes sense that the message is a direct response to a direct threat that is specific to that individual's group.

The series is to be taken together as marginalized people standing up for themselves, and for each other, but each had a message specific to their own marginalized group. The narrative for young black men (I think that's a male) is that they live in fear of violence from police in the setting of institutionalized racism. The message Fairey chose fits squarely into that perception, and that interpretation of that piece fits squarely into the series.

At least, that's my take on it, and you should know by now, my take is usually the correct one.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: About that poster [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The series is to be taken together as marginalized people standing up for themselves, and for each other, but each had a message specific to their own marginalized group.

Yes, I agree that the message is specific to the marginalized group.

I believe the message is meant for a larger "we" to stand up for these marginalized groups. I could be wrong.

Quote:
At least, that's my take on it, and you should know by now, my take is usually the correct one.

Well that goes without saying. =P

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: About that poster [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard Muslim women talk of wearing the hijab as an assertion that they are person not sexual objects. For them it is a statement about modesty. The other things as you bring up with nuns is head coverings are not exclusively Muslim I think in some countries Christian women have a head covering as well. I don't think it is that radical seeing what Hollywood and those who want to sell us things portray women as. We have all sorts of girls with body perception issues feeling unworthy because they don't stack up. The hijab seems different from the burka. The face covering seeming depersonalizing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jun 12, 17 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: About that poster [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
First reaction - You don't wear the flag as clothes.

It's funny. My dad served in WWII He doesn't have many overt actions of patriotism. But if you really want to piss him off, wear the flag as clothes.

BLep, I love you man, but that isn't what it is saying about black people. There are a lot of things to protect each other from. Don't assume the worst.
surely he wouldn't object to this

Quote Reply
Re: About that poster [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
j p o wrote:
First reaction - You don't wear the flag as clothes.

It's funny. My dad served in WWII He doesn't have many overt actions of patriotism. But if you really want to piss him off, wear the flag as clothes.

BLep, I love you man, but that isn't what it is saying about black people. There are a lot of things to protect each other from. Don't assume the worst.
surely he wouldn't object to this

I actually think it was exactly something like that when I first saw him go off about it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next