Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Had to go to HR today...
Quote | Reply
...to drop off a tuition reimbursement form.

Remember the Seinfeld episode with the secret "forbidden city" models club? That's what it was like, entering the HR office space. Ok, not *quite*, but close. Not a male to be found, the faint smell of potpourri, warm incandescent lighting...

Every so often I pass someone in the hall, or in the cafeteria, and wonder where *that* person works, because it's certainly not on my floor. Now I know.

What's your place of employment like? Similar?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Had to go to HR today... [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in a medical clinic. Family medicine has been feminized. Four docs I am the only male. Three female nurses three female receptionists and the dietician nurse practioner etc all female. However I have my own bathroom, change room and shower. At home my wife daughter and two female exchange students.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the only male in my office, if you don't count the three cats. My HR department is staffed by a woman.

(I work from home)

When I do venture out to the real office (one of the R&D facilities of a really big tech company), it's about 2/3 Indian and Chinese, and probably 75% or more male.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to work for HR for an erstwhile major retailer. Part of my job was to coordinate with HR people in the field. 95% gender balance was about right.
Quote Reply
Re: Had to go to HR today... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I'm the only male in my office, if you don't count the three cats. My HR department is staffed by a woman.

Nice. That made me laugh.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in Operations, and the HR department is down the hall, but back in a corner that keeps them separate from everyone else. All women except one male(Manager of Organizational Effectiveness). His name is Phil and we call him Dr Phil. HR has some lookers, but the best are in Financial Accounting.

ETA: I had to go to HR as well today. It was pee in the cup day.
Last edited by: ubdawg: Jun 8, 17 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Had to go to HR today... [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old office was one hallway down and in the same position as HR which was totally hidden behind a secret door. People always came to my office looking for HR and I always made up outlandish stories in my head about why they had to go to HR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last job the head of HR was a mid-50s woman with fondness for large dangly necklaces and vanilla vodka drinks. Then the company merged and the new head of HR is a 6'1", 250 lb guy from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Their offices were pretty nice though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60/40% male/female and the mentality is predominantly "meathead". Having said that, you can't beat the view ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a large corporate HR dept. I would say its 30/70 male to female ratio. Most of the men are in payroll or on the IT side.

In my dept of 25 or so there are 3 guys. First year I mentioned starting an NCAA bracket I got nothing, apparently the women don't care about the NCAA tourny. Meanwhile when I worked in finance 70/30 male/female ratio we had a few hundred people in the bracket.

I do work with a cool manager who is in her 60's blasts Metallica from her office and swears like a sailor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always astonished at the resources, energy, and money expended by companies on HR. It seems like the entire department could have been replaced by a big spreadsheet 20 years ago or a decent website 10 years ago.

I wonder how long before AI takes it all over and Watson just calls you to adjust your 401K withholding.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Had to go to HR today... [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I'm always astonished at the resources, energy, and money expended by companies on HR. It seems like the entire department could have been replaced by a big spreadsheet 20 years ago or a decent website 10 years ago.

I wonder how long before AI takes it all over and Watson just calls you to adjust your 401K withholding.

Not really, a lot of HR is because of compliance. I would say maybe half of it deals with employee/manager issues and hiring/firing. Other half is payroll, benefits or other compliance. There are a lot of filing with the gov't, fiduciary requirement stuff, etc. My co-worker has a full time project going on because every city /county or state is initiating a paid sick leave policy. So she is constantly chasing down what has changed...every month some city or county passed some new law.

As far as Watson calling for 401k witholdings...that is exactly what Financial Engines is. Its a computer program that uses a formula to adjust your allocations. Withholding, we created a simple spreadsheet to show you want you need to do to dollar cost average for the full year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

Part of it is also employee education, at least on the benefits side. Part of what we did was walk people through various forms and what they meant. I suspect most people did it themselves, but for a large retailer most employees (I wouldn't expect them to) wouldn't have an in-depth understanding of pension or benefits terminology.

Some can just be fixed with clearer forms, but only to a point. When you have to help employees navigate benefits exemptions for the Provence of Quebec (they too have individual mandate), sometimes the fault lies elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I'm always astonished at the resources, energy, and money expended by companies on HR.

Yup
Quote Reply