Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How good is the Americas Cup!
Quote | Reply
Coutts vision has been impressive and the speed and technology of the boats have been amazing.

Still not feeling well after watching ETNZ take a tumble yesterday, but hopefully we recovery and earn a spot in the finals. As much as I respect Spithill as an amazing athlete and sailor, I really hope we or another team can smash Oracle.

Go New Zealand!!
Last edited by: Fendalton: Jun 7, 17 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the Americas Cup! [Fendalton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those quaint 12-meter days . . . amazing how these 'boats' fly . . . is it still a boat because it touches water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was crazy! Did a pesky Great White pull the boat down? They have been know to do this.

Last edited by: getcereal: Jun 7, 17 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the Americas Cup! [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had that happen on a Hobie 18 once - going bat crazy fast then hit a big wave. These boats are so light that they stop hard and then bury bows. My wife and a friend were both out on their traps and swung way around forward and ended up in the water on the leeward side. I was riding stern quarter and ended up smacked into mast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure whatever happens it will not be BAR this time
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the Americas Cup! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that.

Happy to see today cancelled so we can get more work done on the boat. I don't think we should have too much trouble with getting to 5 first over BAR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been an amazing Challenger Series so far.

I kind of wish they were still saying the AC72 (modernized version). Can you imagine how fast they could go in 25kts of breeze!

They definitely seem to be having a tough time with these boats. Often you see them splash down in order to slow down for roundings etc. But I guess we all saw what happens when you just go for it.

I find the slight nose down attitude a little disturbing, it just doesn't look right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's bullshit since they got rid of monohulls
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the Americas Cup! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot can be said of boats that can go 20+kts upwind and 30+kts downwind in only 5kts of true wind. Amazing.

Although there was/is a lot of style and grace to big monohulls battling it out, and probably more tactics.

With these boats, it's all about minimizing maneuvers and not making mistakes. Come off the foils for a few seconds and the other boat is speeding away going 10-20 kts faster.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the Americas Cup! [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:

With these boats, it's all about minimizing maneuvers and not making mistakes. Come off the foils for a few seconds and the other boat is speeding away going 10-20 kts faster.

Exactly. I'm not a sailor, but I've been sailing a lot and was ballast/grinder in some beer can races. I appreciate the skill of sailing which I think is a lot harder in a monohull than on the AC boats. It's like you say, you come off the foil and you're toast and it doesn't really matter what the wind is doing.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the Americas Cup! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's like you say, you come off the foil and you're toast and it doesn't really matter what the wind is doing.

Wind shifts are making a bid difference. Even a small shift, when the boats are going 35-35kts, means big gains. And if a puff comes through, 1 boat can be going 5-10kts faster just because of wind speed.

What we aren't seeing, are classic match racing tactics, lee bowing, or tacking duels. If a cross is going to be close, the port boat will always duck, because they would lose too much by tacking/gybing.
Quote Reply