Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No different than if they were students and did something dumb once they started classes and they kicked them out.

These guys are just super special idiots who are way ahead of the power curve and managed to do something really dumb before they officially became students.

Boo-fucking-hoo--actions have consequences.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity,

How much does family history tie to the application/acceptance process?

For example, if my grandfather and father went to Yale, and I was a very good but not brilliant student, would I have a better chance? Would I have a better chance if my family donated plenty of money?

I also get most kids do and say dumb stuff at the age of 17-18, but the ones I knew who were Ivy league material in my small public school were way more mature than me, hell even more mature than I am now at 32.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I agree. When I was an undergrad I did bench research for two summers beside a former dean of science at a large university. He was a cool guy still quite turned on by doing research and embracing all the new DNA technology that was coming on at the time. He and my supervisor said they did interviews for the med school every year and said that on the whole the entering class they got was quite good but "boy we did let in a few doozies" The explanation was that most people can fake socially acceptable behavior for a interview.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Yes I agree. When I was an undergrad I did bench research for two summers beside a former dean of science at a large university. He was a cool guy still quite turned on by doing research and embracing all the new DNA technology that was coming on at the time. He and my supervisor said they did interviews for the med school every year and said that on the whole the entering class they got was quite good but "boy we did let in a few doozies" The explanation was that most people can fake socially acceptable behavior for a interview.

We actually don't even do interviews where I am now. I've been at a place before where we did them and i had to do one to get into PT school, this was back in the mid-90s, I had a question about what I thought about all the changes coming with managed healthcare, I had no idea what they were talking about :)
Basically with interviews, you're looking for red flags trying to weed out the people who can't even behave appropriately when they know they need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
-Top athletes at the state level.

So if the Ivy league schools are chock full of good athletes who's taking on the geeks and dweebs that are smart as hell but hopeless athletically? Which there seems to be no shortage of.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Just out of curiosity,

For example, if my grandfather and father went to Yale, and I was a very good but not brilliant student, would I have a better chance? Would I have a better chance if my family donated plenty of money?
Anything human can be corrupted. Theoretically the application process looks solely at a persons "qualifications", but if a family gave $10million to the school, I'd be willing to bet that as long as their kid had reasonably strong academics, the kid would be given a slot in the school.

My wife's father was president of Yale. She and her sister both went to Yale, but wife says that the competition back in the 80's wasn't nearly as tough as it is now. She feels strongly that our kids would get zero special consideration and therefore would be extremely unlikely to make it in. Even if we could afford $100k/yr per kid, which we, ahh, can't.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

So if the Ivy league schools are chock full of good athletes who's taking on the geeks and dweebs that are smart as hell but hopeless athletically? Which there seems to be no shortage of.

Didn't you say you are in admissions? Maybe you are joking but there are plenty of excellent, non-athletic students who get very good scholarships to Ivy league schools.

The interviews can work both ways. My daughter did a bunch of interviews when she was applying and I recall one school that dropped to the bottom of her list based on the interview. It's funny the things that can sway kids to liking a school or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
len wrote:
What does this say about Harvard their rigorous application process doesn't seem so great.

What are you thinking here? They should have teams of forensic social media sleuths doing background checks on all admitted students?
Here's some insights into the Ivy League School application process.

The kids that get into these highly sought after schools are unbelievably bright, resourceful, and hard charging kids. There's nothing special about the quality of education provide by these highly sought after schools, what is special is that the competition to get in is so fierce, that (largely) only brilliant kids get in.

My wife's family has been tightly bound with Yale since <WW2. Once or twice/yr Yale contacts her to interview some kid who has successfully advanced far enough in the application process to warrant a personal interview. The kids that have come thru our door in the last decade+ for an interview are amazing. They all had the list below in common, the entire list:
-The weakest of the SAT/ACT scores was 99 percentile.
-Student leadership roles like class president, etc.
-Tons of community service gigs like spending Summers in 3rd world countries helping to provide dental care.
-Incredible poise and self-confidence in the frightening interview.
-Well read on a variety of subjects, to include current events.
-As a 17yr old punk kid, actually had well thought out opinions worth listening to.

I'd have to say that I never really understood that kids like this even existed. Sure, there's always kids that have a couple of the above accomplishments, but all of these kids had every one of the above. Holy shit! And of the couple dozen that have come to the house to be interviewed in the last >10yrs, only one, ONLY ONE, of them actually got into Yale. He was the one that had already written an Economics book. At age 16, having long had an interest in Econ, he decided that there needed to be a book that better explained Econ at the HS level. By age 17 he was done and it was published.

Were they all white and straight? I only say that half facetiously.

My HS was and is an Ivy mill. I know multiple schoolmates who got in that were missing at least two or three of your criteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

MIT and Caltech
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ivy schools are not chock full of great athletes but they do take a fair number. They also take a lot of geeks who are start as hell. One of the downsides of going to an elite school is that someone has got to be middle or bottom of the class which can be hard on the ego of kids who all through highschool thought they were pretty special because they got great marks etc. The athletic kids can make a good fit because they have something else to stoke their self esteem besides being smart.

Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Were they all white and straight? I only say that half facetiously.

My HS was and is an Ivy mill. I know multiple schoolmates who got in that were missing at least two or three of your criteria.

Re. white and straight. That's certainly a fair point. It certainly increases a kid's chances of getting in if they diverge from the standard WASP over-achiever. In this case most of the kids were white, a couple blacks.

Re. the experience of your schoolmates vs. my experience. Sure, it would be hasty to assume that the limited scope of my contact with the admission process can be accurately extrapolated. It's just one vignette, interesting, but certainly not conclusive. And I did mention that the competition is apparently much more fierce now, then in decades past. Sister-in-law hit college in '80, wife in '84. Both are sharp, but not nearly the equal of the brilliant kids I've seen not gain admittance.

The Scott Gress of 1980 would not have been a wart on the behind of these kids that my wife has interviewed. As a brilliant, charismatic, super-hero, comedic genius, I was still, at that stage, a "work in progress".

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 7, 17 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Didn't you say you are in admissions? Maybe you are joking but there are plenty of excellent, non-athletic students who get very good scholarships to Ivy league schools.

The interviews can work both ways. My daughter did a bunch of interviews when she was applying and I recall one school that dropped to the bottom of her list based on the interview. It's funny the things that can sway kids to liking a school or not.

I was responding to the earlier post.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I'm thinking Harvard's application process isn't all it is cracked up to be. In other words despite all their best efforts they really don't know that much about the students they are admitting aside from that they are good at jumping through the hoops that are their admission process. They do know they have good marks and are good at doing the SAT. Beyond that they don't know much about the character of the people they are admitting.

Sure. But come up with a system that can evaluate the character of 40,000 applicants in some reasonably objective way. And make it cost-effective. And avoid what some might consider excessive invasion of privacy, like turning over account passwords.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I was still, at that stage, a "work in progress".

That stage? *cough cough*
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
orchidrun wrote:
What is it about the "private" setting on Facebook that is such a difficult concept for some people.

OMG I won't get as many likes or thumbs up or comments or whatever is driving me to post everything I think, say and do!

Apparently they were posting in a private room, but someone with access brought it to the schools attention.

This is a great teaching moment for all our kids. And even if colleges are not routinely looking at individual's social media presence, you can be sure many potential employers are. Tell them to use the "Grandma" test - i.e. they should only post comments or material online that they would be happy for their grandmothers to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I agree. I think I am just saying that despite best efforts it is somewhat random who gets in. I felt the same way about med school. For everyone who got in there were 5-10 pretty good candidates that did not. I didn't feel that special that I got in I felt like I won the lottery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

MIT and Caltech

Exactly. I work in Cambridge, with lots of people coming out of Harvard and MIT. Many of them from both institutions are very smart (and there are duds from both as well), but on average I will bet on the brain of the MIT grad just about every time. They are scary smart and they work very, very hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
len wrote:
I'm thinking Harvard's application process isn't all it is cracked up to be. In other words despite all their best efforts they really don't know that much about the students they are admitting aside from that they are good at jumping through the hoops that are their admission process. They do know they have good marks and are good at doing the SAT. Beyond that they don't know much about the character of the people they are admitting.

Sure. But come up with a system that can evaluate the character of 40,000 applicants in some reasonably objective way. And make it cost-effective. And avoid what some might consider excessive invasion of privacy, like turning over account passwords.

Good luck.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's proposal. Establish the criteria for admission. The final approval list is based on a random drawing of everyone that met or exceeded the criteria. I doubt that proposal will ever happen. It would prevent the Ivys from participating in all their preferred hypocrisies.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
slowguy wrote:
orchidrun wrote:
What is it about the "private" setting on Facebook that is such a difficult concept for some people.

OMG I won't get as many likes or thumbs up or comments or whatever is driving me to post everything I think, say and do!

Apparently they were posting in a private room, but someone with access brought it to the schools attention.

This is a great teaching moment for all our kids. And even if colleges are not routinely looking at individual's social media presence, you can be sure many potential employers are. Tell them to use the "Grandma" test - i.e. they should only post comments or material online that they would be happy for their grandmothers to see.

Still going to happen routinely because young people generally are more concerned with the immediacy of looking cool to their peer group rather than thinking about what if's down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Just out of curiosity,

I also get most kids do and say dumb stuff at the age of 17-18, but the ones I knew who were Ivy league material in my small public school were way more mature than me, hell even more mature than I am now at 32.

A lot. Those applicants are called "legacies." My alma mater publishes the admit rate for legacies and it's quite a bit higher than those with no family ties.

Legacies are good for the school's endowment. Not fair, but that's just how it is. For the kid whose mom and grandfather went to Yale, he/she will absolutely have an edge when applying.
Quote Reply
Re: Harvard students have admissions rescinded [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
The article provides no specific information about what the fools posted, but if it was along the lines indicated, I think they were too stupid for Harvard. Or are General F***ups a protected class these days?

Haven't read this article, but one I read gave one example of a meme of a cartoon of a Mexican baby hanging by a noose around his/her neck with the caption "Pinata Time." That's pretty fucked up. Others were of similar poor taste and were of racist and misogynistic nature.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the "white and straight" bit, I wonder about the second of those two criteria. Seems pretty easy to "game the system" and say you are gay to get in to Harvard and then later say, nah it was just a phase, turns out I am straight. If they are using that as a criteria, I bet the stats on gay/bi are skewed on their applications vs. their actual student bodies.
Quote Reply

Prev Next