Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My impression was the area I was visiting was stuffed to the rafters with French speaking red necks.
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The States have one big advantage though, none of them have a majority of French people...

Whats fascinating and interesting when you look at this - the situation with the French in Canada, and the french language is when you look at the U.S. and Spanish. Canada is officially bilingual - English/French. The country goes to great lengths (and costs), to ensure that is the case.

However looking south to the U.S., I wonder sometimes about the spanish language and it's used in the U.S. Just from observations, it would seem a higher percentage of Americans speak and use spanish as a first and second language, than french in Canada. Would the U.S. ever enact legislation to recognize spanish as an officially recognized language?

no. the anti-immigrant crowd are offended by any immigrant continuing to speak a foreign language and the anti-immigrant crowd is waxing, not waning, here.
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no. the anti-immigrant crowd are offended by any immigrant continuing to speak a foreign language and the anti-immigrant crowd is waxing, not waning, here.

I guess the difference here in Canada, is the the country was settled, by originally settlers from both France (French) and England (English), and when founded both languages were recognized. That being said - there have always been closer political ties to England/UK - we were ounce a colony, now a sovereign country, but still part of the Commonwealth, with the Queen, still the ultimate Head of State! There was never that sort of relationship with France.

But wasn't large parts of the U.S. South West bought from the Spanish a long time ago?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Saw this today: http://news.nationalpost.com/...w-about-we-just-dont and wondered how our Canadian LR brethren felt about this.

Quebec (or at least some in Quebec) has threatened to separate for years but never have nor never will. Its almost a dead issue in Quebec nowadays except for a vocal minority of baby boomer AG people. The youth realize that English is the international language of the world and they will have to learn how to speak it if they ever want to function outside of small towns in the rural parts of the province.
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Interesting historical read.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do I think the closer 'tete carree' to the problem, the tighter the ear plugs are? Quebec separation is like a simmering pot, it's always there always almost ready to boil over if the situation changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Why do I think the closer 'tete carree' to the problem, the tighter the ear plugs are? Quebec separation is like a simmering pot, it's always there always almost ready to boil over if the situation changes.

We'll have to disagree. My dad was from Quebec, half English, half French. I remember as a kid and even much later, all the French side of the family tended to be pro separatist. Now none of them are, even the older ones. And none of the younger generation even think about it. I'd say they're now about as likely to separate as Alberta. Both provinces may get pissed off at the Ontario "establishment", but aren't likely to try to separate.
Quote Reply
Re: Canuckers....what are your thoughts on Quebec pushing Meech Lake again? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Equating Alberta's anger to Quebec's is just simplistic. It's far more nuanced than that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next