Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember listening to a podcast with honnold and him saying he did most of the climb at around a 5-6 of 10 effort level, and that if his effort got much higher, it would be because something went horribly wrong.

He said many free climbers fall due to being too relaxed and complacent.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
just saw it too. I'd read about him here and there over the years, and used to think oh what a lovely humble guy.

After Free Solo it's pretty clear that behind those seal pup eyes is a stone cold assassin of error. It's a joy and a privilege to watch him.

I thought that his most illuminating quote was that his girlfriend didn't climb. She clearly has some skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad news today in the climbing world. Brad Gobright, a talented 31 year old climber, fell and died on Wednesday. Brad was arguably Alex’s closest competitor in high stakes free-soloing. It appears Brad was rappelling down a climb, ran out of rope, and fell. Early reports on Rock and Ice suggest that the rope was not knotted at the end - a standard safety practice to prevent these type of accidents.

Brad was featured in some of the most recent Reel Rock films. Interesting guy, tons of passion, and a free spirit. I am saddened by his loss, and ache for his friends and family.

As a climber, with three boys that climb all over the country, I hope if nothing else - this is a powerful lesson on risk and engaging with our sport responsibly. Be safe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated article says his climbing partner ran out of rope on the rappel (they were simul-climbing) and that caused the fall. Either way - super shitty way to go. If I was his climbing partner I don't think I'd ever climb again. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Updated article says his climbing partner ran out of rope on the rappel (they were simul-climbing) and that caused the fall. Either way - super shitty way to go. If I was his climbing partner I don't think I'd ever climb again. :(

ya this sucks either way. but i'm a little confused by the update to the article. If Jacobson rapped off the end of the rope, the rope would have been on the lower ledge with Gobright, instead it states the rope was with Jacobson on the higher ledge.

its a big loss to the climbing community, and a shame because it was such a silly gumby mistake that cost him his life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason I was actually thinking about Honnold the other day. When I saw this thread pop up I was worried that it was bringing news of an accident. I don't know of the other guy, but feel for his family and friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
For some reason I was actually thinking about Honnold the other day. When I saw this thread pop up I was worried that it was bringing news of an accident. I don't know of the other guy, but feel for his family and friends.

Actually, Honnold was involved in an accident the other day. It looks like everyone is ok, but it easily could have been very bad. His partner (a famous climber named Emily Harrington) fell while Honnold was tying his shoes. He was able to catch the rope, but she took a long fall and even got the rope across her neck.
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.sacbee.com/...rticle237804629.html

That piece of open granite is awe inspiring. Watching people climbing it defies description.

Go Climb A Rock

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Beyond words: Alex Honnold free-solos El Cap [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article237804629.html

That piece of open granite is awe inspiring. Watching people climbing it defies description.

Go Climb A Rock

Absolutely. I have climbed it four times. All very memorable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next