Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good cheddar out there. (I'm with Windywave on this one.) But don't expect a Canadian to know that.
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought on a good cheese plate is that it should include cheeses that are easy to the palate, cheeses that are interesting, and cheeses that are challenging. So long as the quality is there, it's the variety that counts.

I don't really care for condiments, crackers, and spreads. (Olives are another matter -- there should be a separate olive plate.)

A variety of good cheese and good wine is what counts. (And despite that the ignorant moose fuckers say, I'll never complain about a good cheddar on the plate.)
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
My thought on a good cheese plate is that it should include cheeses that are easy to the palate, cheeses that are interesting, and cheeses that are challenging. So long as the quality is there, it's the variety that counts.

I don't really care for condiments, crackers, and spreads. (Olives are another matter -- there should be a separate olive plate.)

A variety of good cheese and good wine is what counts. (And despite that the ignorant moose fuckers say, I'll never complain about a good cheddar on the plate.)

You're welcome to come over and eat cheese whenever you want. We'll leave the Velveeta and wine in a can to our northern neighbors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Olives, GOOD mustard, fig/jelly spread, hot pepper jelly, honey

This.

Anyone who puts cheddar on a fancy cheese plate needs to be slapped upside the head.

Anyone who doesn't know good cheddar exists is a peasant unworthy of commenting.

Good thing I don't fall under that category.

Oh so you're aware good cheddar exists? If so why wouldn't you include it on a cheese plate?

I was being somewhat sarcastic. But, for whatever reason, if I'm enjoying a nice chedder, I'm typically just eating that with some kind of cracker and meat. If I want a variety of cheeses, chedder usually gets left off for something a bit different and maybe less familiar. Maybe something I wouldn't eat often or on its own, but pairs really well and maybe unexpectedly with something else on the plate.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

You're welcome to come over and eat cheese whenever you want. We'll leave the Velveeta and wine in a can to our northern neighbors

Please, it's boxed wine, not canned wine. Jesus, were you brought up by wolves or something?

I actually live down the road from a fantastic deli that specializes in imported cheese, and Victoria is the hipster charcuterie capital of the universe, so we get a lot of exposure to good meats and cheeses around here. Seems like every weekend there is some craft beer/wine/cider/spirits and charcuterie festival going on.

I usually go to the aforementioned deli, give them $50 or however much I want to spend, maybe mention the things I don't like, and let them use their judgement to prepare something for me. It's always fantastic.

It's actually my wife's birthday today and in taking her to our favorite Italian place, where we usually get a cheese and antipasto board... I'll pay closer attention to what's on it.

Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Jun 2, 17 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheese curds or moose cum on French fries doesn't count.
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, I don't like poutine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Caught the gay at a hipster charcuterie festival?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yup. And thanks to him, you now enjoy gems like this magical combination of fine, aged cheddar and fresh, hand rolled penne.

We had sausage pepper penne for supper tonight made from home made salsa & home grown jalepenos. This photo makes me sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Caught the gay at a hipster charcuterie festival?

Ha! Something like that. It was actually at a music festival where I fell out of love with poutine. And in general, french fries are like crack for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proper poutine is made with cheese curds not fn mozza.
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Proper poutine is made with cheese curds not fn mozza.

A) I know this
B) I love cheese curds
C) What did I say to imply otherwise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah cheese meat wine and a baguette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread still makes me laugh.

Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:

In these shitty times it is still good to see some things are constant
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCtriguy1 wrote:

I don’t know how I missed this one three years ago but just had a good laugh reading through it. More proof that the LR is the best where even a discussion about cheese can quickly go off the rails. : D

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So as everyone knows traditionally a cheese plate has one if each class (hard semi-soft bleu and soft). My standard is triple cream brie, Cotswold or Cheddar but usually Cotswold, a good bleu, and aged gouda. I usually have a mild salami and prosciutto and quince paste or Branston pickle. Fancy time sees nuts and grapes or apples.

Discuss

I don’t know that I agree with your “everyone knows” certainty here. A perfectly good cheese board could be made choosing a cheese from each major milk source; I.e. goat, cow, and sheep. Or make a board with cheeses from a shared nationality, like maybe an all Danish cheese board.

Some sweet fruit like grapes, apples, figs, dried apricots; some salty charcuterie, and some crackers, nuts, or breadsticks, and you’re good. I’m not a big olive fan, but I know lots of people would add them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So as everyone knows traditionally a cheese plate has one if each class (hard semi-soft bleu and soft). My standard is triple cream brie, Cotswold or Cheddar but usually Cotswold, a good bleu, and aged gouda. I usually have a mild salami and prosciutto and quince paste or Branston pickle. Fancy time sees nuts and grapes or apples.

Discuss

Snob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Nah, it would be wine in a box and cheese in a can for such a fancy occasion.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Proper Cheese Plate [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:

Discuss

Snob.

deduct 3 points
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
windywave wrote:

Discuss

Snob.

deduct 3 points

SNOB
Quote Reply

Prev Next