Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LBJ vs MJ [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go so slow wrote:
JSA wrote:
Negative. Bron-Bron is big, but not tough. He would not have been able to handle the physical era. Remember the "Jordan Rule" instituted by the Bad Boy Pistons? Bron-Bron would have tapped out after game one.

I don't think that's true. I'm not sure what evidence there is that Lebron is soft. Does he complain? Yes. Has he ever tapped out? I don't think so.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe, but you also have to take into account that Magic and Bron are playing 2 different positions, so a straight up stats compare doesn't make sense. Just gotta go on gut, and for a guy of Magic's size to play point, and play it better than anyone else in the league, was really damned impressive. And the league was better then (fewer teams, more concentrated talent).

I'll give the edge to Bron, but it's really close.

Magic was better at his position that Lebron is at his. Magic had 11.2 assists per game, better than any other point guard in history. That alone is a good argument for him being the best point guard ever, but then throw on top of that 19.5 points a game and 7.2 rebounds a game, which is well above and beyond the expected contributions for that position (compare that to Stockton with 10.5 assists, 13.1 pts, and 2.7 rebs a game).

LeBron still might be the better basketball player, just sayin'..........

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You probably think that soccer players are actually soft too.

JSA wrote:
Have you ever seen the 30-for-30 on ESPN regarding the Bad Boys (Detroit Pistons)? If you have not, you need to watch it.

First, they show how the Pistons kicked the hell out of the Celtics - literally, beat on them on the court, punched, threw to the ground, etc.

Then, they talk about the "Jordan Rule." Ho-ly hell. They show the video. Every time Jordan drives to the hoop, he ends up on the ground. Every time.

Bron-Bron could not play in that era. Period. Hard stop. Bron-Bron cries when he is barely touched. He would have retired after one season going against the Bad Boys, or any physical team during that era.

So stop the comparison. Just stop.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Bill Russell has an issue with your point...
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJ was never down by 20 in the NBA Finals ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James and Jordan are certainly among the best. However the GOAT was Kareem Abdul Jabbar. 6 championships, 6 MVPs, 19 time all-star. Plus 3 NCAA championships. He was so dominate in college they made the Alcindor rule that banned dunking. He developed his almost unstoppable sky hook due to that. 11 times on the NBA all defensive team as well.

At the time of his retirement in 1989, Abdul-Jabbar was the NBA's all-time leader in points scored (38,387), games played (1,560), minutes played (57,446), field goals made (15,837), field goal attempts (28,307), blocked shots (3,189), defensive rebounds (9,394), career wins (1,074).

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poor Kobe...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

People think soccer players are soft because soccer players are soft.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, he didn't work hard enough on defense.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

People think soccer players are soft because soccer players are soft.

I always thought you were smarter than that. My bad...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 2, 17 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Nah, he didn't work hard enough on defense.

"I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!"

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
go so slow wrote:
JSA wrote:

Negative. Bron-Bron is big, but not tough. He would not have been able to handle the physical era. Remember the "Jordan Rule" instituted by the Bad Boy Pistons? Bron-Bron would have tapped out after game one.

I don't think that's true. I'm not sure what evidence there is that Lebron is soft. Does he complain? Yes. Has he ever tapped out? I don't think so.

Clever. Did my 13 year old daughter take over your account?
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
James and Jordan are certainly among the best. However the GOAT was Kareem Abdul Jabbar. 6 championships, 6 MVPs, 19 time all-star. Plus 3 NCAA championships. He was so dominate in college they made the Alcindor rule that banned dunking. He developed his almost unstoppable sky hook due to that. 11 times on the NBA all defensive team as well.

At the time of his retirement in 1989, Abdul-Jabbar was the NBA's all-time leader in points scored (38,387), games played (1,560), minutes played (57,446), field goals made (15,837), field goal attempts (28,307), blocked shots (3,189), defensive rebounds (9,394), career wins (1,074).

I'm with you for picking Lew Alcindor. But if the mark is number of championships, as stated in the OP, Bill Russell is the man:

Quote:
William Felton Russell (born February 12, 1934) is an American retired professional basketball player. Russell played center for the Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association (NBA) from 1956 to 1969. A five-time NBA Most Valuable Player and a twelve-time All-Star, he was the centerpiece of the Celtics dynasty, winning eleven NBA championships during his thirteen-year career. Russell holds the record for the most championships won by an athlete in a North American sports league (tied with Henri Richard of the National Hockey League). Before his professional career Russell led the University of San Francisco to two consecutive NCAA championships (1955, 1956), and he captained the gold-medal winning U.S. national basketball team at the 1956 Summer Olympics.[1]

From wikipedia

Russell, however, was not a big scorer and was know primarily for defense and rebounding.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russell:
It doesn't take much to get UNC to win a NCAA championship. Or UCLA. Russell won 2 NCAA titles with the University of San Francisco! They won 60 games in a row from 54 to 56. I didn't realize USF still existed - I thought they were absorbed by SFSU.
I can't think of anything comparable.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Russell, however, was not a big scorer and was know primarily for defense and rebounding.
Well, he was partly known for that because he prioritized team wins over numbers. 13.4 FG attempts per game over his career, compare that to Wilt (22.5) and Kareem (18.1). The Celtics of the 50's and 60's didn't run their offense through Russell, even though when they needed him (as in the 7-game Philly series against Wilt in '62 when the final five games--3 wins, 2 losses--he averaged 26 points and 26 rebounds). Russell said many times he was fine playing second fiddle to Cousy and, later, Havlicek because those two were among the best and most innovative scorers in NBA history, all he cared about was a W at the end of the night.

I'd never put Russell up there on pure talent with Wilt/Kareem or the dominant forwards like Jordan or Lebron, and his era left a lot to be desired--playing against a bunch of 5'9" white dudes was a little different than the game today. But when talking about the best 'winners' in sports he's always at the top of my list, cause no matter where he was or what his role was (he was a player-coach for a number of years) his teams got the big trophy at the end of the year, over and over again.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russell said many times he was fine playing second fiddle to Cousy

Cousy also won a national title while playing for a small Jesuit college (Holy Cross). USF is a Jesuit college - awesome location, right next to GG park. I think Gonzaga is also Jesuit.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJ also knew how to take it to the hoop and score against taller and stronger players. I've watched LeBron over the years, and when he is the bigger guy, sure, he looks impressive. But when he takes it to the rim against an equally-sized or bigger player, he misses, a lot. I'd like to see official stats on his FG% in those cases. Look at Game 1 replays of his misses. It was the same last year, and previous years. So from that perspective, he doesn't rank up there for me. He's kind of like Shaq - he's great when he has the physical mismatch on his side, but otherwise, I'm not crazy about him.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think Gonzaga is also Jesuit.

Yes it is. As is Georgetown.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lebron could win 7 or more rings but for many will never surpass Jordan simply because Jordan was the greatest even before he won a championship. He broke the mold that Lebron will never break. Its like someone winning more cups than Gretzky, but Jordan and Gretz are Gods.
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBJ is the most self-aggrandizing of anyone else mentioned in this thread. I can't believe this is even a discussion topic, honestly. He'll never be MJ......and, he's not even the best player on the floor LAST NIGHT (much less GOAT).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me.
You compare Lebron to Magic. They are more comparable. They are looking to make what they think the right play is, vs being the person to score and carry the team.
MJ is considered the GOAT more for his stretch of 6 championships, in those years, not counting his break, and him mentally dominating his own teammates and opponents. Lebron wants to be friendly and get along with everyone off the court and even on it.

However Lebron's streak of getting to the finals for the past 6 years now is pretty strong. If he played in the western conference that would be even more impressive since he really doesn't have a challenge in the east. So going against a western conference team and losing strengthens that image of playing in a lessor conference. But he can't control who he plays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I think this has been definitively answered . . . Maybe LeBron should take his talents to Golden State so he can win another ring
Quote Reply
Re: LBJ vs MJ [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My reference to marketing wasn't about his game it has more to do with the aura and how we remember Mike. All kids of the 80s wanted to be like Mike. That programming doesn't exist for LBJ. If it did, I think LBJ would be considered better than Jordan
Right because no kids want to be like James That's a pretty flawed argument for GOAT. But if you want to blame it on that then maybe he should've reconsidered "the Decision".

Quote:
Jordan QUIT in his prime.

As opposed to James who quits during games, you know "chill time".

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next