Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slow Woodies - Pining for a Cabinet Scraper...
Quote | Reply
This video caught my eye. Apparently old hand saw blades are useful for things other than folk art!

Quote Reply
Re: Slow Woodies - Pining for a Cabinet Scraper... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
This video caught my eye. Apparently old hand saw blades are useful for things other than folk art!

The best way I've found to cut them up is to use a Dremel with one of the thin cut-off wheels. With a steady hand you can cut a straight groove and then keep deepening it. Then pop it in the vise, drawfile the edge and you're good to go!

You can also score the sawplate deeply with a carbide scribe, put it in a vise and snap along the scribe line. This is fast, but it leaves a deformed edge that takes a lot more filing to clean up.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow Woodies - Pining for a Cabinet Scraper... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lee valley makes a sweet set of different gauges.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow Woodies - Pining for a Cabinet Scraper... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can almost guarantee that Lee Valley is repackaging someone else's product and adding a premium for the privilege.

ETA: I checked LV their scraper prices aren't horrible. Might have to give 'em a whirl. Using an old hand saw is a bit of work. The handle that guy made may be worth the effort though regardless of the source of the scraper.
Last edited by: racin_rusty: May 30, 17 18:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I can almost guarantee that Lee Valley is repackaging someone else's product and adding a premium for the privilege.

ETA: I checked LV their scraper prices aren't horrible. Might have to give 'em a whirl. Using an old hand saw is a bit of work. The handle that guy made may be worth the effort though regardless of the source of the scraper.

I was going to say. I think the set was between $20-30? How cheap do you need them to be! :-)

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always look for an old Stanley #80 or #81; they are probably more comfortable to hold than that wooden handle. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm

Can't help but comment on the filing technique in that otherwise excellent video: the dude really needs to learn how to drawfile. It's way faster - use the file the way he does to joint the edge, then turn the file 90 degrees and go to town. Drawfiling will give you faster metal removal if you bear down, and a better finish if you ease up on the pressure. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM5xs-OBDCY (although I try never to use a file without a handle - I'm always fearful my 7th grade shop teacher will slap the back of my head).
Quote Reply