Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll get no argument from me about how poorly the school is handling this. I was just answering the question about whether or not she "signed something".

I also agree that she probably had no choice but to sign it. But a person in grade 5 understanding what they are signing? I doubt that. I understand she is older now but the whole validity of this arrangement is called into question if you are expecting a 10 year old to understand a document they have to sign; at least IMHO.

BB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
It's not even an appropriate role for the school to play. Seriously, what makes a school qualified to sit in moral judgement over the lives of its students?

You think it's unusual or inappropriate for a private (religious-based) school to have rules about students having sex?
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's inappropriate for a school to try to enforce private morality that goes on in the personal lives of its students.

I think it's appropriate for a school to have rules about sex and other issues of morality conducted on school property. I think it's appropriate for a school to teach about sexual morality, and morality in general. I think it's appropriate for a school to encourage moral behavior. I don't even have a particular problem with such a school having kids sign a pledge to behave morally.

Judgement and enforcement of that morality
is a whole different level, and not only inappropriate but downright creepy. Cultish. And un-Christian. And hypocritical, because we all know the school doesn't enforce other moral judgements.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which park? Most drive in Provincial Parks ban alcohol on the 24.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I think it's inappropriate for a school to try to enforce private morality that goes on in the personal lives of its students.

I think it's appropriate for a school to have rules about sex and other issues of morality conducted on school property. I think it's appropriate for a school to teach about sexual morality, and morality in general. I think it's appropriate for a school to encourage moral behavior. I don't even have a particular problem with such a school having kids sign a pledge to behave morally.

is a whole different level, and not only inappropriate but downright creepy. Cultish. And un-Christian. And hypocritical, because we all know the school doesn't enforce other moral judgements.

Well as we know, private institutions can, for the most part, dictate whatever rules they want, bar discrimination against a protected class. I mean, there are still clubs in NYC that don't allow women! Where is the social media outrage there?!
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody cares whether or not the school has a legal right to do this. That's not the point.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rondeau. They smuggled in a lot. And magic mushrooms and who knows what else. Rondeau is a bit unusual as it also has a population of cottagers who own cottages on leased land and its hard to keep people out because of the beach which links to non-parkland. Goggle Chatham daily news they had a story about it. The article has a link to a site where a lot of kids were bragging about how much they drank and how many times they scored ( well the boys anyway.)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: May 25, 17 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Somewhere there is a balance. Parents send their kids to Christian schools because they want them to be around people with a shared world view. Off campus enforcement is so unrealistic that the only person you're going to catch is a pregnant girl. My high school friend and I both went to Christian colleges in California. Both schools had some form of a morality clause. My school that was only enforced on campus and I never heard of anyone getting caught, but I doubt you'd be kicked out unless you brought drugs on campus. His school was insane. One girl I knew got in trouble because someone said they saw her smoking a cigarette off campus. In the middle of the night they'd bust into your dorm room and breathalyze you if they thought you were drinking. I don't know why anyone would want to go to school there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Nobody cares whether or not the school has a legal right to do this. That's not the point.

Hence my point of 'why no moral outrage against NYC clubs' barring women?'. 20 years ago this wouldn't have even been a blip in the local press. Now it goes viral on social media and the world cries "outrage!". Meh...
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Parents send their kids to Christian schools because they want them to be around people with a shared world view. ... I don't know why anyone would want to go to school there.

You answered your own question
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to drop off my daughter at a Park with a bunch of alcohol that I bought for her. What can possibly go wrong?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

The point is you have no point, you just don't like what the school did. Fine, don't put your kids in the school and get the hell over it. Easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, this entire story is about hysterics. The pro-choice crowd thinks that not letting this girl walk at her graduation ceremony (with 14 people in the graduating class) is going to encourage girls to get abortions. The girl thinks that the school is missing a chance to send a strong pro-choice message, but misses or doesn't care that they're sending their intended pro-abstinence message. The president of Students for Life of America (whatever that is) bemoans that the school is banning this girl, and this girl alone,...as if her being the only pregnant senior isn't valid reason to be singled out. As far as I can tell, Vitus, you think you are competent to judge the school's conduct, but the school is not competent to judge the girl's conduct.

This shouldn't even be news, except these days, everybody thinks they shouldn't have to be accountable for their actions, and everyone should bend over backward to cater to their choices.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
As far as I can tell, this entire story is about hysterics. The pro-choice crowd thinks that not letting this girl walk at her graduation ceremony (with 14 people in the graduating class) is going to encourage girls to get abortions. The girl thinks that the school is missing a chance to send a strong pro-choice message, but misses or doesn't care that they're sending their intended pro-abstinence message. The president of Students for Life of America (whatever that is) bemoans that the school is banning this girl, and this girl alone,...as if her being the only pregnant senior isn't valid reason to be singled out. As far as I can tell, Vitus, you think you are competent to judge the school's conduct, but the school is not competent to judge the girl's conduct.

This shouldn't even be news, except these days, everybody thinks they shouldn't have to be accountable for their actions, and everyone should bend over backward to cater to their choices.

Are you talking about the school or the girl?

School has every right to do this, it is their school. And Vitus has said as much.

But the school gets to face the consequences of their actions just like the girl does. She doesn't get to walk at graduation, the school gets raked over the coals.

Adults who believe in the Christian god will risk eternal damnation to have sex, I'm pretty sure the threat of not walking at graduation will stop every horny teenager in their tracks.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
It has the appearance of the school not wanting a pregnant girl on stage because it makes them look bad.

That was my thought as to the crux of it. You can't tell which kids have been busted for drinking or whatever when they are on stage, but you can tell the pregnant girl.
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But the school gets to face the consequences of their actions just like the girl does. She doesn't get to walk at graduation, the school gets raked over the coals.

Yes, the school has to live with the bad press. Of course, the girl gets to live with everyone at her school thinking she's an attention hound, because of all the bad press,...and on and on it goes.

The difference is, the school had rules that the family and girl ostensibly agreed to. She broke the rules, and it's reasonable to hold her accountable for that. The school didn't break any rules, but they're having to face consequences from the additional behavior from the girl and her family, who couldn't accept responsibility for her actions. It doesn't seem to me that the school is whining or asking anyone else to cater to their choices. The school is simply standing by their decision. It's the girl and her family who apparently took this to the next level. They appealed the original decision, and even when the school relaxed their original punishment, it wasn't good enough for the family.

“It has really gotten out of control,” Runkles said. “Moms of students have tagged me and said nasty things about me. I’ve had students start group messages to start nasty rumors. People saying I’m just attention-seeking and spoiled.”

Yeah, it sucks when other people are mean, but you probably shouldn't have decided to try to take this to the media to put pressure on the school.

Quote:
Adults who believe in the Christian god will risk eternal damnation to have sex, I'm pretty sure the threat of not walking at graduation will stop every horny teenager in their tracks.

I'm pretty sure not letting her walk isn't intended to stop every horny teenager in their tracks. It's meant to prevent from giving the impression that the school endorses her choices and behavior.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Last edited by: slowguy: May 25, 17 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
It's not even an appropriate role for the school to play. Seriously, what makes a school qualified to sit in moral judgement over the lives of its students?

I don't understand this either. I guess it's not uncommon around here for athletes in public schools to sign some sort of code of conduct form that includes not being around drugs and alcohol. So a couple of kids from one of the local high school hockey teams ended up suspended because someone posted a picture on Facebook of them at a party with adults who were drinking wine. Just asinine.
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddhabelly wrote:
You'll get no argument from me about how poorly the school is handling this. I was just answering the question about whether or not she "signed something".

I also agree that she probably had no choice but to sign it. But a person in grade 5 understanding what they are signing? I doubt that. I understand she is older now but the whole validity of this arrangement is called into question if you are expecting a 10 year old to understand a document they have to sign; at least IMHO.

BB

Kids just sign it. Hell kids in college sign student handbook agreements and have no idea what they have agreed to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son is 14 and getting ready to promote/graduate (whatever they call it these days) from middle to high school (8th to 9th). Him and his little buddy were dicking around like two young men will, (trying to kick each other in the balls), of course they get caught, I get the call, principle tells me if they do it again, no walking during the ceremony. Told my son that, he said, "I guess I am gonna kick some balls tomorrow". He could careless about walking, he is ready for summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
jepvb wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/24/pregnant-maryland-teen-banned-graduation/

"In a letter to parents Tuesday evening, school principal David Hobbs said that Runkles is being disciplined, “not because she is pregnant but because she was immoral. … The best way to love her right now is to hold her accountable for her morality that began this situation.”"

Matthew 7:1-3

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

I guess they would have preferred her to have an abortion...

We can question the school's choice of punishment, but it sounds like she broke a rule - one that in my experience is quite common at private, religious schools.

I could be wrong, but I don't think "Judge not, that ye be judged" means "Don't enforce a rule that is broken".

I'd love to know what happened to the boy that knocked her up.

And I don't disagree that private establishments can set rules and enforce punishments.

Having said that, this is fucking stupid. What about "Christian charity"? What about bringing a child into this world with all these negative feelings surrounding it. Fuck those assholes. I guess they would have preferred her to have aborted. Would have made her gown fit better.

It's pretty ironic how full of judgment you appear to be. You call out the Christian school as being judgmental, when all they are doing is enforcing their code of conduct rules. I've sat through meetings with private school administrators when my kid was out of line, and judgmental is not how I would characterize their attitude. They were caring and compassionate but firm. The school has standards, and they have a responsibility to enforce them. The girl still graduates, she just misses the ceremony.

Do you have an axe to grind with Christians? Because there seems to be a lot of vitriol here. Were you personally damaged by the church? Or is this just fun for you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Here's an idea...

...don't go to a small Christian school.

You could have just stopped there.

But yeah, once you go there you are going to play by their rules.

You are all wrong.

She didn't walk because her family just would not make that generous donation that was suggested by the school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excuse me all, I need to go and lie down.

I'm feeling unwell and dizzy, like the Earth is off-kilter.

I find myself in agreement with vitus on a question of christian/catholic morality; or more accurately the moral behaviour of a catholic institution justified by their take on christian morality.

v979 taking a stand against un-christian christianity, faux-morality, hypocrisy & self-righteous callousness. You go, girlfriend!
Quote Reply
Re: Such compassionate and forgiving folks... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think a teenage girl raised in an evangelical household has the power to say where she is going to school and what kind of life she chooses to live?
Quote Reply

Prev Next