Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Californians [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually take a different interpretation of the succinctness of their chant. It is short...two words...and encompasses the sentiment. It is articulated in a very cogent manner ( no mistaking the message). Swearing is crass to some but pretty direct and forward. I honestly think there are plenty of other more important things to be morally outraged in the political maelstrom encompassing the US than verbiage.
Last edited by: gasman: May 22, 17 10:55
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Yeah, I'm not thrilled chanting of any kind.

This. All political chanting makes my skin crawl. Tribalistic nonsense. I dislike almost all crowd behavior except at sporting events and concerts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Um, I didn't know that the head of some fucking party that I'm not a member of is something that I (or Dan) should have to defend.

But I see you missed the entire point, yet again.

What's your point? Pretend I went to an inner city school dominated by union teachers

Didn't think you were that dense. But asking people to defend things they had no involvement in is, well, in your words, a real "douchebag" move.

But if that's the game you want to play, and if you don't want to defend Westboro because you have no association with them, then what state are you in. I'll then google something indefensible that happened there, and you can then defent that. Or better yet, what's the fuck with this NAMBLA thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

The video is really crass and leads me to wonder why they can't articulate a better argument.

Agree. The chant is pointlessly crass. That said, they and millions of others constantly articulate a better argument. You just fixate on this as a way of avoiding that inconvenient reality.

I see your point but these aren't "millions of others". These are the people who run the state government in California.

Who involved is an elected or appointed official in California?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:
This is political discourse in 2017. Do I like it, not really, but is it any worse than the vile, racist crap the Reupublicans said about President Obama for 8 years?

I don't remember the leader of a state party doing anything like that. The video is really crass and leads me to wonder why they can't articulate a better argument.

Are you more offended by the fact that someone said and chanted "fuck" than you are about the countless Republicans who championed the racist, yes racist, birther cause, including your hero who is not in the White House?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
the vile, racist crap the Reupublicans said about President Obama for 8 years

Examples?

Duffy's memory only goes back a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Please post the better argument. The video seems to be the way most Democrats today, not just leadership act on a daily basis. So lets hear it.

oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

The video is really crass and leads me to wonder why they can't articulate a better argument.

Agree. The chant is pointlessly crass. That said, they and millions of others constantly articulate a better argument. You just fixate on this as a way of avoiding that inconvenient reality.

Funny, because I'm around Democrats all the time, and I don't see this conduct on a daily basis. I don't see this from Republicans, independents and others either. But go ahead and keep living in your fantasy world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Reminds me of the lock her up chants. Basically they are acting like the "deplorables" that they blame for electing Trump.

If you can't beat'em, join'em I guess.

They are all fucking retards. Both sides.

This.

But without having read the rest of this thread before commenting on your post, my bet is that you will be ridiculed for this.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Duffy wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

I see your point but these aren't "millions of others". These are the people who run the state government in California.

Who involved is an elected or appointed official in California?

Our senator, Kamala Harris (who, ironically has the same exact name of a chick I used to bang) and our Lt. Governor, Gavin "whether you like it or not" Newsom were named in the article as having taken part. Other than that it was the state convention of the dem party so I'd have to guess that many elected officials were there.

Didn't watch the video, nor did I search other articles.

But what do you mean by "having taken part?"

But the article in question names Harris and Newsom as having spoken at the convention and harshly criticizing Trump, but it doesn't say one way or the other whether they had "taken part" in the "Fuck Donald Trump" chant.

Did I mess something by not watching the video, or are you reading skills a bit lacking?

John Burton, a former elected official, led the chant.

So for Windywave and the rest of the Trump apologists, here's my defense as someone who would say the same to stupid political chants from any part, "So fucking what?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

(jwbeuk) The video is really crass and leads me to wonder why they can't articulate a better argument.

Our senator, Kamala Harris (who, ironically has the same exact name of a chick I used to bang) and our Lt. Governor, Gavin "whether you like it or not" Newsom were named in the article as having taken part.

And??? Harris and Newsom were in attendance (at some point),... so what? jwbeuk's statement is that Dems CAN'T articulate a better argument. Both of them certainly have made very strong and forceful arguments against policies. I've typed here endlessly on various policies. The fact that I may go march with a simplistic/funny/crass sign at a march doesn't invalidate any argument that I have made. The fixation on attacking the other side without ever backing a policy is weak. and is increasingly the only thing that folks here are bringing to the table.
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 22, 17 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
windywave wrote:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/05/ca-dem-chair-together-now-fck-donald-trump-crowd-holds-two-middle-fingers-video/

Feel free to defend (I'm looking at you Dan)

Not so much a defense as a question . . . . Are you at all surprised by this? It's just Democrats upping the ante under the rules that Trump set. "Lock her up." "Build that Wall." Now, "Fuck Donald Trump." It's crass, sure. It's not very becoming of the Democratic Party, but it's not at all surprising.

Are you more put off by the language or the disrespect to the president, or something else? IMHO, all this does is erode the Democrats' moral high ground (whether that high ground was real or perceived) and give the Republicans (and the President) more ammunition to solidify their base and distract the population from the troubling substantive issues.

You want a defense? You won't get one. It's not defensible. That doesn't erase the inappropriate mudslinging from the other side, though. It might feel good for them to encourage this stuff, but this is really Democrats starting the process of shooting themselves in the foot . . . again.

I'm not offended by anything I just think it is immature, crass, and inarticulate. I don't actually expect anyone to defend it although Dan might give it a shot. More looking for condemnation and an explanation on how people feel about the leadership of their state acting in such a manner.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
What kind of adult and elected official leads a crowd in a F the president chant? I don't care what side of the isle you're on it's not OK.

Yep
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gasman wrote:
I actually take a different interpretation of the succinctness of their chant. It is short...two words...and encompasses the sentiment. It is articulated in a very cogent manner ( no mistaking the message). Swearing is crass to some but pretty direct and forward. I honestly think there are plenty of other more important things to be morally outraged in the political maelstrom encompassing the US than verbiage.

So you think it is appropriate?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Californians [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Um, I didn't know that the head of some fucking party that I'm not a member of is something that I (or Dan) should have to defend.

But I see you missed the entire point, yet again.

What's your point? Pretend I went to an inner city school dominated by union teachers

Didn't think you were that dense. But asking people to defend things they had no involvement in is, well, in your words, a real "douchebag" move.

But if that's the game you want to play, and if you don't want to defend Westboro because you have no association with them, then what state are you in. I'll then google something indefensible that happened there, and you can then defent that. Or better yet, what's the fuck with this NAMBLA thing?

I said feel free to defend them. I didn't actually expect anyone to do so. If you don't think there's a difference between the Westboro Church and the political leadership of the state you're beyond help.

The People's Republic of Illinois. I'll happily condemn every single politician in the state but go right ahead and find something for me to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
windywave wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:
This is political discourse in 2017. Do I like it, not really, but is it any worse than the vile, racist crap the Reupublicans said about President Obama for 8 years?

I don't remember the leader of a state party doing anything like that. The video is really crass and leads me to wonder why they can't articulate a better argument.

Are you more offended by the fact that someone said and chanted "fuck" than you are about the countless Republicans who championed the racist, yes racist, birther cause, including your hero who is not in the White House?

Nice attempt to deflect. It failed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
Please post the better argument. The video seems to be the way most Democrats today, not just leadership act on a daily basis. So lets hear it.

oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Funny, because I'm around Democrats all the time, and I don't see this conduct on a daily basis. I don't see this from Republicans, independents and others either. But go ahead and keep living in your fantasy world.

Come to Chicago for protest season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So for Windywave and the rest of the Trump apologists, here's my defense as someone who would say the same to stupid political chants from any part, "So fucking what?"

Hang on there fuckstick how is this an apology for Trump? I don't like Trump never have.

And do you think that response would be appropriate in a large group setting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've thrown out appropriateness a long time ago in US politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
I'm not offended by anything I just think it is immature, crass, and inarticulate. I don't actually expect anyone to defend it although Dan might give it a shot. More looking for condemnation and an explanation on how people feel about the leadership of their state acting in such a manner.

It's a bit more crass, but no less concerning than having a candidate for U.S. President incite rally-goers to "Lock Her Up." All of this crap is juvenile and inarticulate, but it all resonates with the lowest common denominator on each side of the political spectrum. I'm not at all surprised that we're devolving into this type of activity. It's symptomatic of the win-at-all-costs-and-to-hell-with-decorum mentality. I guess some folks might say the ends (winning) justify the means, but I think we're all losers with these kinds of tactics. It's one thing to express this kind of invective in private, but to officially sponsor it is a whole other ballgame. Neither party can legitimately claim the morale high ground here, but I'm certain that won't stop either side from trying.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply

Prev Next