Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that there are crazy people out there that will do crazy things with whatever they can get their hands upon. I think violence will always exist and the tool used to exert said violence will always be available.

That said, I think there are a lot of law enforcement officials like Donkey Police Chief Ed Flynn that fail to act on existing laws. Note that there is a huge difference b/t the officers who report every day trying to do their jobs and the Donkey Police Chiefs like Ed Flynn who fail to do theirs.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
So educate me, why are so many cases not followed through on?
I am not disagreeing with you, but there may be some reason. Lack of resources?

Because disparate impact would make it racist?
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
Statistically this bears out. Put enough cars into a system, people will die by car. Put enough alcohol into a system and people will die by alcohol. Put enough forks into a system... you get the point. This goes back to the point that as ugly as it may seem, given the number of guns in our system, statistically a number greater than zero will eventually use them in a way we don't want.

So then why do you only want to target guns?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a pro-gun advocate nor do I see that they don't have their uses. I'm thinking hunting. Part of the divide is that a segment of your population sees guns (mainly handguns) as a legitimate method of self defense. Given the number of guns around particularly in the wrong hands it is somewhat understandable. Another segment doesn't like guns at all and doesn't understand that. Given that isn't likely to change in the US in the near future your options are limited to more effective mental health care (not a vote getter) more effective enforcement of existing laws (expensive) and keeping multiple violent felons in jail (also expensive). I don't know if people can still purchase guns at gun shows without a background check ifso that is stupid. Finding common ground on those solutions appears to be all you have but something is probably better that nothing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my response above and clue me in on what additional laws could have been put in place to prevent this.

That's what I said to you originally. I didn't say anything about additional laws. I didn't say anything about existing laws. I said that these incidents will remain a prevalent part of your society, much more than other western countries with greater restrictions, as a consequence of the second amendment and the subsequent vast quantities of firearms in existence.

It matters not whether I or anyone else thinks the second amendment is good or bad. I don't think that's the point of the thread. The question was asked what the pro crowd think can be done to prevent this. Your honest answer should be 'nothing'. There are simply too many guns in circulation at this point in time to stop the wrong people getting their hands on them more easily than here, Canada, the UK etc.

You can't pretend that the second amendment doesn't come with serious consequences. But if/when that tyrannical government or invading country comes knocking, the USA will be thanking that second amendment. You also get to enjoy firing them for pleasure and hunting. There's good and bad.
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
MOP_Roy wrote:
Statistically this bears out. Put enough cars into a system, people will die by car. Put enough alcohol into a system and people will die by alcohol. Put enough forks into a system... you get the point. This goes back to the point that as ugly as it may seem, given the number of guns in our system, statistically a number greater than zero will eventually use them in a way we don't want.

You're totally correct that people can use cars as lethal weapons just as easily (arguably more easily) as guns. Stats indicate that there's 'roughly' as many gun death as cars deaths. Though obviously there isn't the intent to harm with the majority of car deaths.

To remove or heavily restrict car ownership (to reduce deaths) would have significant impacts on society economically and socially (some might say a positive impact!). Much greater than a 'comparable' restriction on guns. I don't think many pro crowd could disagree.

IMO that's why it's pointless trying to group cars with guns in such a manner. But I'm open to alternative arguments.
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Law enforcement likes to bust people for big crimes, like murder with a gun. Busting a guy (and prosecuting him) for illegal possession of a gun, or illegally attempting to buy a gun, or making a straw purchase for someone who can't legally buy one, is boring. It's not sexy. It's a pain in the ass for a small sentence. It won't make headlines.

And it's about money.

More "big" crimes get an enforcement agency more funding.

In a way it's similar to the phenomenon we have around here. We have a fairly significant homeless problem here, and I'm talking about crazy alcoholics walking the streets (we have those too). I'm talking about "gutter punks". 20 something white kids with dreadlocks and pet dogs that aggressively pan handle, drink in public, smoke weed in public, do meth in public, shit and piss in pubic. It got to the point where it was hurting downtown businesses so the merchants banded together and convinced the police dept to beef up enforcement.

But here's the thing. Guess who's getting "enforced" upon? Us. The people who can pay the fines. Look like a dirt bag - harass passers bye while your dog bites people and shits on the sidewalk, get drunk on the streets - cops give you a warning.

Have a Nordstrom bag in your hand and J-walk across the street you're getting a fucking ticket without question.

Ever since the "crack down on aggressive panhandling" has commenced the cops have been cracking down on everyone except the fucking gutter punks.

Look, everyone knows who the shitty people are. We need to start dealing with them or we are going to see more shit like this cop getting killed.

It isn't guns, bro. It's shitty people and a refusal to do anything about them.

Why do you hate capitalism and a free market?
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
See my response above and clue me in on what additional laws could have been put in place to prevent this.

That's what I said to you originally. I didn't say anything about additional laws. I didn't say anything about existing laws. I said that these incidents will remain a prevalent part of your society, much more than other western countries with greater restrictions, as a consequence of the second amendment and the subsequent vast quantities of firearms in existence.

It matters not whether I or anyone else thinks the second amendment is good or bad. I don't think that's the point of the thread. The question was asked what the pro crowd think can be done to prevent this. Your honest answer should be 'nothing'. There are simply too many guns in circulation at this point in time to stop the wrong people getting their hands on them more easily than here, Canada, the UK etc.

You can't pretend that the second amendment doesn't come with serious consequences. But if/when that tyrannical government or invading country comes knocking, the USA will be thanking that second amendment. You also get to enjoy firing them for pleasure and hunting. There's good and bad.

Yeah, this...watch out you Canadian and Mexican invaders...the armed populace of US of A is ready to repel all attacks. As far as tyrannical government, yeah, Reps and Dems are terrified or armed people

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need guns to repel Canadians. Just float a tub of gravy, cheese and fries over Niagara Falls and watch them all disappear over the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
MOP_Roy wrote:

Where have I ever said I want to target guns? My posts continue to say that we must accept that these situations are going to happen.
Last edited by: MOP_Roy: May 21, 17 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
JSA wrote:
MOP_Roy wrote:

You're totally correct that people can use cars as lethal weapons just as easily (arguably more easily) as guns. Stats indicate that there's 'roughly' as many gun death as cars deaths. Though obviously there isn't the intent to harm with the majority of car deaths.

To remove or heavily restrict car ownership (to reduce deaths) would have significant impacts on society economically and socially (some might say a positive impact!). Much greater than a 'comparable' restriction on guns. I don't think many pro crowd could disagree.

IMO that's why it's pointless trying to group cars with guns in such a manner. But I'm open to alternative arguments.

http://www.investors.com/...g-the-data-straight/
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your link didn't work but: there are 3 kinds of lies lies, damn lies, and statisics

Last edited by: ZenosArrow: May 21, 17 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [ZenosArrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenosArrow wrote:
your link didn't work but: there are 3 kinds of lies lies, damn lies, and statisics

I clicked it and it worked just fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my suggestion / proposed policy...ALL must happen or NONE happen:

Eliminate private purchases (aka gun show loophole) federally
Guarantee <5 minute processing of background checks for both title 1 and 2 firearms (the anti-gunners 'slow play' gun rights as defacto bans)
Gestures towards mental illness
National concealed carry reciprocity (eliminating defacto ban from anti gunners)

Who wouldn't support that?

mv2005 wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link worked for me.

I'm not sure if the point was to highlight how many gun deaths are suicide (i.e. Can't compare raw gross numbers)? That's fine. I think they mentioned 65% of say 30,000 total (rough figure). Another two percent accidental from memory. Leaves about 30%, or say 9000 intended deaths.

If the ~30,000 annual vehicle fatalities, how many would you say were intended? Just a guess. I don't know, but I'd say it's nowhere near 9,000.

The primary point though is the implication of banning cars to reduce deaths. The societal impact is much greater. That's why I think comparing guns to cars is pointless. You simply can't restrict cars without having a massive impact on citizens. At least in our western societies built around urban sprawl.

The existing laws don't appear to be working. But for now and likely a long time to come that's the collateral damage you're prepared to accept for that privilege. I'm not sure much more can be done.
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
And I know these cases sadly happen all over the country. And in many cases, the shooters have (a) multiple guns, (b) past arrests/felonies, and (c) are for the most part complete wackos. Every time the dems (or another group) tries to bring in legislation to try and limit access these people have to guns, republicans/nra/pro-gun rights activists do everything they can to shoot it down claiming it steps on their guns rights. So for those of you who fall in that category, what's your alternative to keeping/getting guns out of the hands of these people?

These low life criminals are getting guns ILLEGALLY. Passing more laws will not impact people who do not follow the law.

Gun homicide is very low on the list of causes of death in the US. To give it some perspective the US has almost the same amount of deaths due to drunk driving as it does gun homicides (10,000 drunk driving deaths per year and 11,000 gun homicides). Additionally, 55% to 80% of gun homicides are gang related according to the FBI (actual percentage depends on the city).

While no one likes gun violence taking away law abiding citizens right to protect themselves and their families doesn't solve the problem.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Well, obviously we need to outlaw guns. Because guys like this, who illegally obtained their guns, will then certainly follow the law.

Nah. To keep guns out of the hands of felons, we just have to keep the hands off the felons. All felons and mentally ill have to have their hands amputated! Guaranteed reduction in firearm fatalities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Link worked for me.

I'm not sure if the point was to highlight how many gun deaths are suicide (i.e. Can't compare raw gross numbers)? That's fine. I think they mentioned 65% of say 30,000 total (rough figure). Another two percent accidental from memory. Leaves about 30%, or say 9000 intended deaths.

If the ~30,000 annual vehicle fatalities, how many would you say were intended? Just a guess. I don't know, but I'd say it's nowhere near 9,000.

The primary point though is the implication of banning cars to reduce deaths. The societal impact is much greater. That's why I think comparing guns to cars is pointless. You simply can't restrict cars without having a massive impact on citizens. At least in our western societies built around urban sprawl.

The existing laws don't appear to be working. But for now and likely a long time to come that's the collateral damage you're prepared to accept for that privilege. I'm not sure much more can be done.
I'd be willing to guess that there are MANY, MANY more guns out there then cars (very few families own more than 2-3 cars). So really, the deaths "per capita" by car vs gun has cars being MUCH more lethal. Someone smarter than me can look up statistics...
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The car comparison just doesn't wash. Cars have a purpose that it would be massively inconvenient to live without. . Millions of people use cars every day for hours. Guns are for hurting or killing. Like I said before I appreciate the self-defense arguement and use for hunting.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
The car comparison just doesn't wash. Cars have a purpose that it would be massively inconvenient to live without. . Millions of people use cars every day for hours. Guns are for hurting or killing. Like I said before I appreciate the self-defense arguement and use for hunting.
So you say. But guns protect and save lives every day. Cars don't have that intended purpose...so they are inherently worse than a firearm (having no "life saving/protecting" purpose). So YOU say that cars serve an everyday purpose that would be "massively inconvenient" to be without. I think the lack of the ability to "save and protect" lives is also "massively inconvenient". Sure there are bad things that happen with cars (statistically much more negative per car than per firearm), just as there are bad things that happen with a firearm...

It all depends on what angle you look at this for your perspective.

Personally, I agree with the "bad people will do bad things with whatever they can get". Removing firearms won't limit "bad things", it will just put that number in another category, all the while taking away the "other" intended uses of those firearms (which I believe are very good uses).
Quote Reply
Re: For the pro-gun crowd, how do we keep guns out of the hands out of wackos like this? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
Link worked for me.

I'd be willing to guess that there are MANY, MANY more guns out there then cars (very few families own more than 2-3 cars). So really, the deaths "per capita" by car vs gun has cars being MUCH more lethal. Someone smarter than me can look up statistics...

And you'd be wrong.
265M registered cars. about 300M firearms

Cars are much more widespread - most families own at least 2. I own 4.
Guns are much less widespread - most familes own zero. The NRA says only 31% of households own greater than zero. Only 6% of households in Delaware and Rhode Island own firearms (and after spending years neighboring RI, that makes me feel better ;) )

Hunting doesn't really hold water anymore - according to studies (GSS), in 77, 31% of households hunted. Now only 15% do!
But the gender gap in ownership is closing - in 80, male ownership was +40%. Now is +23%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
len wrote:
So you say. But guns protect and save lives every day. Cars don't have that intended purpose...so they are inherently worse than a firearm (having no "life saving/protecting" purpose). So YOU say that cars serve an everyday purpose that would be "massively inconvenient" to be without. I think the lack of the ability to "save and protect" lives is also "massively inconvenient". Sure there are bad things that happen with cars (statistically much more negative per car than per firearm), just as there are bad things that happen with a firearm...

It all depends on what angle you look at this for your perspective.

Personally, I agree with the "bad people will do bad things with whatever they can get". Removing firearms won't limit "bad things", it will just put that number in another category, all the while taking away the "other" intended uses of those firearms (which I believe are very good uses).

This was meant to be in pink right?

Guns 'save and protect lives every day'.

When was the last time your own guns saved your life? How many times in the last year did your guns save your life?

Now how many times have you used your car in the last week? In the past year?

You've got to be out of your mind to ty and insist that guns serve a direct purpose the likes of a car, for the average citizen. Carrying a gun for protection does not mean it has served a purpose unless you've actually been set upon. The perception that it could happen doesn't mean it will. You could make that same trip to an ATM 1000 times without a gun and not have anything happen. But you have used your car each time to get there.

Do you know how many millions of trips are made in motor vehicles each day?

Some people hunt for their livelihood. Most people do it as a hobby. People presumably go to the range as a hobby or to stay sharp for that day that hopefully will never come. Few people use them daily for a purpose (cops etc). Only those people can truly say it saves or protects lives daily.
Quote Reply

Prev Next