Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matt_cycles wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
matt_cycles wrote:
squid wrote:
Mayweather will knock him into next week. But it'll be worth the $$$.

The fight itself is ridiculous, but there's way too much money to be made to not do it. Conor would make more from this one fight than he would for the next several MMA fights, and of course "Money" Mayweather will bring another ludicrous sized check to the bank.

Conor would be lucky to land a single punch on Floyd.

I just don't get the appeal of this fight. It's an extremely one-sided boxing match. You have arguably one of the best boxers that has ever lived fighting a guy who is an above average boxer for an MMA fighter. They're literally not in the same competitive universe. I'm an above average swimmer, doesn't mean I'm going to race Michael Phelps in the pool.

This would be more like the faster triathlete swimmer taking on Phelps, which would draw interest even if it was likely to be a blowout.

Fair point. Take a 75th percentile pro triathlete swimmer male and female swimmer and have them go race Sun Yang or Katie Ledecky. It would be about as competitive as a Mayweather and McGregor boxing match.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
An MMA match wouldn't last 30 seconds unless McGregor allowed it to.

Mayweather is going to eat McGregor alive in a boxing match. Floyd isn't known for being a knockout artist so he might not kill Conor but it will be an extremely lopsided boxing match. McGregor might be able to last awhile, maybe even a few rounds, but he's going to get beaten up.

However, it wouldn't be as lopsided as if it were an MMA fight. Conor has a better chance in a boxing match against Floyd than Floyd would in a MMA fight against Conor. Mayweather's octagon lifespan would be measured in seconds, and not in rounds or minutes. He will be unconscious or tapping in less than 90 seconds.

It'll definitely be a boxing match, not MMA obviously, but I heard a decent idea. Set it up as a ten round fight, boxing rules the first 9 rounds, and MMA the 10th. That way, Mayweather has incentive to put McGregor down, and not just play his usual defensive run around the whole fight. If it's boxing the whole way, the only chance McGregor has is a lucky punch, and Mayweather will play defense the whole fight.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that idea.

I'd bet the farm on McGregor in that fight.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=mayweather#p6193405

I was tempted earlier this week to resurrect this thread from a couple of months ago. Then decided until the contract is actually signed, it's nothing but clickbait.

At this point I think there's a better chance of the Buffers fighting over who gets to do the ring announcements.
Quote Reply
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Not gonna happen*. This all about clicks.

*if it does happen Conner knocks out Floyd in the second round.

Yes to the first. No to the second.

I don't think it happens, but if the $$ is right, Floyd will do it. Secondly, if it does, Floyd dances and has his way with McGregor. Boring as fuck, but you'd have already paid by then (I won't buy this shit).

ETA: read further...so I take some of this back (though you were still tongue punching Connor's fart box in other threads). There is always a puncher's chance, and at 40 Mayweather will be slower. But it is still not even competitive as a boxing match, just as you said: it would be as a MMA bout.

Personally I see McGregor doing this because he realizes his shelf life isn't all that long, and its time to cash in. Plus, I think Aldo takes him in a rematch (McGregor never will go back to that weight) and I think his future fights will all be a LOT closer. He fought pretty one dimensional fighters, and chin checked Aldo quick (think Dos Santos beating Velazquez and then never being close in future bouts).
Last edited by: Culley22: May 19, 17 21:02
Quote Reply
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be great if they fought, and after 7 rounds of chasing Mayweather around the ring McGregor says "Screw it" and takes him down to the canvas and pummels him.
Quote Reply
Re: McGregor/Mayweather [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Set it up as a ten round fight, boxing rules the first 9 rounds, and MMA the 10th.

My money would be on McGregor but Mayweather won't agree to it. Mayweather's M.O is to run, jab, run, jab and keep his opponent from hitting him. That would score points in boxing but wouldn't do any damage to McGregor and having one round of MMA is more than enough to put Mayweather into submission.
Quote Reply

Prev Next