Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: King Arthur - Legend of the Sword
Quote | Reply
Legend of the Sword tells roughly the same story you've seen in every other King Arthur movie over the years, with some changes in style and substance.

Legend of the Sword gives us young Arthur, who is sent away from the kingdom of Camelot by his father Uther Pendragon, when Uther's brother Vortigern overthrows his rightful rule. Arthur is raised in a brothel, and learns to survive on the street, becoming a mid-level street thug, running protection rackets, smuggling, etc. One day the legendary sword that gave Uther his power is revealed, having lain hidden for years. Vortigern sets out to find Arthur before he can gain power, and challenge Vortigern's rise to power. Arthur reluctantly takes on the mantle of ruler, and gathers a plucky band of fighters so he can face and defeat the man who killed his father.

Legend of the Sword is a decent action movie. Anyone who has seen other Guy Ritchie films will recognize his style very quickly, and it generally melds well with the subject matter. The visuals are fine, although there were a couple of areas where the CGI could have been executed better. The cast is also fine, and played their roles well, although you do get the token black knight (Djimon Hounsou), and the token Asian knight (Tom Wu), which are reasonably well integrated into the story, but are unnecessary and somewhat incongruous nonetheless. Charlie Hunnam plays Arthur, and seemed better in this role than he was in Lost City of Z. Jude Law plays the villain, Vortigern, and he's fine, although nothing special. There's also a cute sorceress, played by a cute French actress, whose cute accent unfortunately makes some of her lines a little awkward.

Legend of the Sword has a bunch of violence, but it's generally non-gory or explicit. There are some monsters and foul beasts, but again, no gore. There's a little bit of foul language, but not much, and there's hardly any sex at all, except for one or two very quick scenes from the brothel. It's PG-13, and I would guess it's probably fine for kids over 10 or so.

Overall, Legend of the Sword is a decent fantasy action flick, if that's what you're looking for. Much better for pure entertainment than City of Z, and if you like Ritchie's style of directing, you'll probably appreciate this movie too.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: King Arthur - Legend of the Sword [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good review as usual. But there was at least one fake news fact.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow was that ever a shit-show! Charlie Hunnam's coming and going accent is unconvincing. The CGI is ridiculous and unnecessary and was used for the sake of using it. The giant snake was ridiculous. The final battle was just confusing.

Stupid decisions throughout. There was so much promise. I really like Hunnam, but his accent was just dumb. I love Jude Law and thought he was really good. Little Finger was awesome. The characters were really well done, compelling, and drew me in. If this film would have been more in the genre of Vikings, it would have been awesome. But, I felt it went beyond fantasy to being just stupid. Shame, b/c the music was great and the characters fantastic (except for the accents).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better off tracking down a copy of Excalibur. Best Arthur movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like Aurturian Legend and want a different take on it, I highly recommend Jack Whytes series. In Canada it's called A Dream of Eagles. I Belize that in the US it's called The Camelod (yes Camelod, not Camelot) Chronicles.

The first book is Skystone.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the title, was this located in the back - like the very, very back, of the video store?

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spousal unit and I walked out about 25 minutes into it, because it was that execrable. It was like "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch" -- with a dose of "Sherlock Holmes" -- set in Arthurian times, but without the sly humor and charm of the first two and none of the traditional epic feel that an Arthurian tale should deliver. "Excalibur" (the John Boorman treatment from 1981) was far superior to this latest serving. It was just too unwatchable for us.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply