Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
That might be funny from someone else -- unless you were to say that you'd be cool with him coming back.

If the Forge threatened you would you be cool with wanting him back?

Besides the Forge doesn't need one of these. He'd carry his moose kill out of the forest on his back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got pretty deep into it before deciding against it. When I was enlisted, I was a driver for a bit. When I was an officer, I was driven around quite a bit. So, I knew what I was getting with a military HMMV.

I wanted to pull the trigger, but talked to some buddies at the local Army Reserve station. They reminded me of the maintenance requirements and, more importantly, how difficult it could be to find parts. I talked to a supply sergeant who told me the vehicles are hit and miss. The fully operational ones are pretty pricey. The cheap ones need work. If I were more mechanically inclined, I would have done it. But, I didn't want a project, so I passed.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I forgot about the h1, but I'm assuming that the govt surplus Humvees aren't h1's

Humvees (HMMWVs) are the same platform as the civilian H1; there was no military version of the H2 (Suburban/Yukon platform) or H3 (Colorado platform).
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
H- wrote:
That might be funny from someone else -- unless you were to say that you'd be cool with him coming back.

If the Forge threatened you would you be cool with wanting him back?

Besides the Forge doesn't need one of these. He'd carry his moose kill out of the forest on his back.

He hasn't said he felt threatened (I maintain my position only a ninny saw a threat in his post).
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Military humvees are uncomfortable, impractical and generally useless for most people. Top speed you really want to do is 45-50mph so they are not very good at getting to the hunting ground. They are noisy, underpowered, and not very fuel efficient. Parts are hard to get and very expensive when you do find them.

x2. I'd re-think it. I use 4 of them in my day job. (as a civilian, but using the military HMMWV)

Gratuitous Duffel Blog link on the Humvee: "Insurgent Offensive Bogs Down After Capturing US Humvees."

Also there's not much room for passengers (or the driver for that matter). Not a ton of cargo space either, all things considered. Much of the middle is the transmission. They're really cramped and uncomfortable. The seats suck. The driving position sucks. Most of them don't have air conditioning. They have frequent mechanical problems. The brakes aren't that great, and are not normal brakes.

Things to do before buying: Find your mechanic. There are specialized civilian Humvee garages in most military-infused cities. They'll have lots of used parts lying around, etc, and you can get a bro deal sometimes.

Get one with the turbo engine. The non-turbo engine is seriously weak.

Don't get one that was ever up-armored. Though they'll have taken the armor plating off (illegal to sell to most civilians), the suspension will likely be brutal as all hell because it'll be suspension tuned for tons of armor. And, in general, the whole thing will have been abused more from all the weight. And the slantback version, in my opinion, has the most utility.

Watch for oil leaks. They leak from tons of different places for different reasons. Some of it is "normal." Some isn't.

If you're leaving it in storage, disconnect the battery. And buy the special shore power charger.

......I could go on, but seriously, just don't get one. Get a used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Trust me.
Last edited by: trail: May 13, 17 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Military humvees are uncomfortable, impractical and generally useless for most people. Top speed you really want to do is 45-50mph so they are not very good at getting to the hunting ground. They are noisy, underpowered, and not very fuel efficient. Parts are hard to get and very expensive when you do find them.

x2. I'd re-think it. I use 4 of them in my day job. (as a civilian, but using the military HMMWV)

Gratuitous Duffel Blog link on the Humvee: "Insurgent Offensive Bogs Down After Capturing US Humvees."

Also there's not much room for passengers (or the driver for that matter). Not a ton of cargo space either, all things considered. Much of the middle is the transmission. They're really cramped and uncomfortable. The seats suck. The driving position sucks. Most of them don't have air conditioning. They have frequent mechanical problems. The brakes aren't that great, and are not normal brakes.

Things to do before buying: Find your mechanic. There are specialized civilian Humvee garages in most military-infused cities. They'll have lots of used parts lying around, etc, and you can get a bro deal sometimes.

Get one with the turbo engine. The non-turbo engine is seriously weak.

Don't get one that was ever up-armored. Though they'll have taken the armor plating off (illegal to sell to most civilians), the suspension will likely be brutal as all hell because it'll be suspension tuned for tons of armor. And, in general, the whole thing will have been abused more from all the weight. And the slantback version, in my opinion, has the most utility.

Watch for oil leaks. They leak from tons of different places for different reasons. Some of it is "normal." Some isn't.

If you're leaving it in storage, disconnect the battery. And buy the special shore power charger.

......I could go on, but seriously, just don't get one. Get a used Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Trust me.

So why'd we buy thousands of them?
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Over a hundred thousand.

The flip answer is: because that's how military contracting works.

But they're really good at some things. Like they are outstanding in navigating rough terrain for such a heavy vehicle. But most of things are specific to military operation. They'll operate in really hot or cold weather. Sand. You can drive them practically underwater in snorkel mode. They can carry a *lot* of weight. The structure can handle attachment of armament. They're really survivable when they're getting shot at, particularly later versions. The engine is super simple. Etc.

I'd take one to war. But I wouldn't take it hunting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this might be the way to go;

Speed, space and off road capability......
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Because they are fucking awesome. I did things in Hummers that should not be possible in a motor vehicle.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If thats the air intake at roof level, then it would still run and you'd be dead without scuba gear. That seems to require a driver who's a contortionist ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but I've Ben watching that very site for the right LMTV.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

I don't know much but I have heard of people starting down this road and quickly turning back.

But the biggest fly in your ointment is that it is too damn big! Those suckers are really wide. They are going to be too wide for a lot of the back country roads you are going to want to take to get to your hunting ground. Even if you fit on the road you inevitably run into oncoming traffic, good luck squeezing by the other vehicle, you'll have to back halfway down the mountain to find a wide enough spot.

I have a Dodge Mega Cab truck and it is cumbersome on those back roads, a humvee would be many times worse. There is a reason people use Sidekicks and Jeep Wranglers.

Up until last year I used a crew cab 4x4 F350, which is about 6 inches narrower and just as long as a HMMWV. Also as loud, if not louder.

All my hunting areas are less than half an hour by highway from my house, and then the rest is logging roads where 45-50mph takes you off the side of a cliff to your death. Speed isn't a primary concern for me. And most days, I don't see another vehicle all day long.

Sidekicks around here go for stupid prices due to the demand from hunters. Jeeps don't go for much cheaper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
No, but I've Ben watching that very site for the right LMTV.

I'be been watching those too, or a 2.5 / 5 tonne. A nice big flat deck truck that I could build a small living quarters on the front, and a cooler / reefer unit on the back. Perfect for hunting expeditions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what i want is this:

i want to make a living quarters coach out of it. basically a go-anywhere motorhome.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is an outfit here in CO that makes "end of the world" style campers using (I think) Silverado and F-150 as the base. Earthroamer is the company (had to look them up). Pretty cool, but pretty spendy.

I also see an occasional Unimog roaming around. That would probably be a good option.

drn92
Last edited by: drn92: May 15, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a unimog is what i want. but if i find out it's going to cost me a fortune. so an older stewart and stevenson. something like that. but for just driving around the compound i wouldn't kick one of these out of bed:

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 15, 17 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's got a CROWS up on top. Crew operated Remote Weapons Station. The thermals on those things are great! I've sat many a night out in the Iraqi desert waiting to see some asshole emplace a IED and nothing to watch but Iraqi's venting their sexual frustrations on goats and donkeys. In thermal. Live and heat sensitive. We did manage to bring some IED emplacers to their desired virgins but mostly it was sexual shenanigans on thermal

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: GovPlanet surplus Humvees [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
almost all of my neighbors are in their 80s and 90s. i'm 60. i'm the kid. so, i don't think i'll be watching any sexual shenanigans.

plus i think if i end up with one of those they'll have taken to the gun off the top before they sell it to me. and honestly i'd find the LMTV a lot more useful.

i'm going to be at a ritchie bros auction on friday, looking at tractors. in point of fact THAT is about a sexy as it gets in terms of actual heavy equipment i'm likely to purchase.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to see what's going on around your property at night (without waving a giant ass *shoot me here* flashlight) then you can acquire some near mil grade gear from TNVC

http://www.nightgoggles.com/...plus/?v=f24485ae434a

certainly the thermal stuff is mo-betta but a basic set of NODs will do you well.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.outsideonline.com/...olest-adventure-rigs

Unicat - are amazing

The french guy that builds one to drop on to back of a pickup us also good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next