Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who are the true Trump supporters? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You where the one who said you wanted to mix things up. You didn't list the things that make Trump an excellent candidate for the office. Give me the list and I will take back what I said.

I am often wrong about many things. I see no dishonor in being wrong. Of course demanding a solid argument for me to change my mind doesn't mean I poo poo anything against my worldview.
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the true Trump supporters? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:
I don't want to know who picked the lesser of two evils. I stated that. I am interested in who is fully behind Trump because they think he is the best person for the job on his own merit not, "But but but Hillary!!!"

Real Trump supporters exist. People like you live in such a bubble you just don't know any. They are mostly former Tea Party members, patriotic, flag waving. They live everywhere but do congregate in the middle of the country where they can better live their lives without the people telling them what they can and can't do (see most States on the coasts). A lot of these people have one main issue, illegal immigration, but they have also been hit the hardest by the Clinton/Bush/Obama global economy. Their economic condition was worsened greatly by ObamaCare. Many are blue collar, work construction, manufacturing or they own service companies. They make too much money to get subsidies or be on expanded Medicaid. They don't have advanced degrees. They work hard, they raise their families, go to church and watch a lot of real sports. The type of people most on ST would never understand.

The others who voted for him were either voting against Hillary or voting against Obama and his SJW culture and whether you like it or not, you can't have a discussion about Trump without but but Hillary. How you can't figure that out... makes me truly wonder.

Do you think most of that congregation in the middle of the country results from people fleeing the coasts where they are told what to do, or do you think most of it results from people staying where they started around people mostly like them and not ever changing because they rarely encounter someone in person with a different viewpoint than them?
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the true Trump supporters? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Real Trump supporters exist. People like you live in such a bubble you just don't know any. They are mostly former Tea Party members, patriotic, flag waving. They live everywhere but do congregate in the middle of the country where they can better live their lives without the people telling them what they can and can't do (see most States on the coasts). A lot of these people have one main issue, illegal immigration, but they have also been hit the hardest by the Clinton/Bush/Obama global economy.

I was watching a Frontline documentary on the rise of Trump and it talks about a lot of these things. The one thing that really surprised me, and one I completely understand and agree with, was the anger towards the bailout of Wall Street in 2008. It was anger towards the Republican Party which was just reinforced when Obama came to power and increased the bailouts. It was a sign that no one in Washington was listening. Eric Cantor lost his seat in 2014, a sign that people were angry with the established candidates in both parties.

I am as guilty as anyone who sees Trump simply as the Republican nominee but in a lot of ways, he isn't at all. He happens to run under the GOP banner but a lot of his supporters are just as angry with the established party. You can see this with some of his positions where many are ones that a Democrat would support. Trump recognized the anger in the people you mentioned towards Washington and he capitalized on it.

Quote Reply
Re: Who are the true Trump supporters? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You can see this with some of his positions where many are ones that a Democrat would support.

Maybe as a candidate, but the subsequent 6 months have seen a pronounced turn to the right (along with a turn toward incompetence) on almost all issues that made him plausibly "moderate".
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the true Trump supporters? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was all in for Kasich, so was my wife. Then my wife voted HRC and I didn't vote for either. I believe Trump was the second worse (or I should say not the most dangerous) candidate on the Repiblican side and thought HRC was the worst candidate the Dems could find and while I was surprised at the result I wasn't totally shocked. People have had it with the establishment, and I'm sure they are still convinced Trump is anti-establishment and would vote for him again given the same choice.

I just hope it's a wake up call for the establishment but I see no signs whatsoever at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Who are the true Trump supporters? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can see this with some of his positions where many are ones that a Democrat would support.

Maybe as a candidate, but the subsequent 6 months have seen a pronounced turn to the right (along with a turn toward incompetence) on almost all issues that made him plausibly "moderate".

His movement to the right appears to be to appease the Conservatives of his own party but based on his life, he is really more of a Democrat. Even since coming to office some of his positions aren't really in line with at least what used to be the Republican Party. Examples are,

• He is anti-trade which has typically been something the Republicans support.
  • He called for a trillion dollars in infrastructure spending with no offset in government spending
  • He toned down his stand on immigration and called for Amnesty for some illegals
  • Supports paid family leave
  • Supports the Obamacare provision on pre-existing conditions

Not saying those are good or bad but they wouldn't seem out of place for a Democrat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next