Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes!
Quote | Reply
TOO much exercise causes a leaky gut and increases health risks, research shows (and be especially careful if you work in the military)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...s.html#ixzz4gcAamkIZ

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, oh. You used 4 exclamation marks and 3 in a row, you must really be outraged.

I wouldn't worry too much about that study on this forum, no one here does triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Oh, oh. You used 4 exclamation marks and 3 in a row, you must really be outraged.

I wouldn't worry too much about that study on this forum, no one here does triathlons.

Outraged? I'm elated! I finally have a good excuse for why I retired from triathlon!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This whole gut bacteria thing has been the latest, greatest thing for a while now. But it's almost always in the form of this group or that group have a different gut bacteria flora, or this or that changes gut bacteria, and "it might" have something to do with disease. Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of definitive evidence out there that it actually causes the diseases that it might be linked to, which is basically everything under the sun. Maybe it will pan out and we'll be getting inoculated with this or that gut bacteria to prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. but still seems like we are long ways from that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outraged? I'm elated! I finally have a good excuse for why I retired from triathlon!

In the Sally Yates thread, it was pointed out that the poster must be outraged because of 3 exclamation marks in 3 sentences so using that as the new meter, I thought you were even more outraged.

I'm elated too, knowing my 1 hour of walking per day is not going to cause any leaking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the picture they used for the article:

Sweet dance party!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and Kaep, recently retired studs!

Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
TOO much exercise causes a leaky gut and increases health risks, research shows (and be especially careful if you work in the military)

That was worth the read just to hear about what they put those poor bastards through in the study. 31 miles over 4 days with 99 pound backpacks is pretty fucking extreme. And these guys are with the Norwegian Army ski team, so I'm pretty sure that means it wasn't a flat 31 miles.

It's a huge leap to equate distance athletes to that kind of extreme exertion and stress. Most triathletes will never come close to anything like that. If the Forge was here, he's back me up on that.

The other thing I found flawed about the study was that they didn't discuss recovery. I'd think that after a day or two, the body would recover and your poop would return to normal. So it's hard to see the long term implications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Wasn't this proved over the weekend when you were exclamposting from your Queen Ann?
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I love the picture they used for the article:

Sweet dance party!

As a white person I'm outraged that we are the only ones affected!!! (3 for Sanuk)
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

In the Sally Yates thread, it was pointed out that the poster must be outraged because of 3 exclamation marks in 3 sentences so using that as the new meter, I thought you were even more outraged.

I'm elated too, knowing my 1 hour of walking per day is not going to cause any leaking.

What kind of fanatic are you!!!!! Only 1 hour a day!? Next you'll be telling us that's nothing, you used to go on 112 mile bike rides... oh wait....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the military exempt from any 'duty of care' type regulations that ordinary employers are governed by? For example in this case (assuming it has substance) is it plausible that vets with diabetes launch a class action in the future, or do you 'sign your life away' upon enlisting?
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Is the military exempt from any 'duty of care' type regulations that ordinary employers are governed by? For example in this case (assuming it has substance) is it plausible that vets with diabetes launch a class action in the future, or do you 'sign your life away' upon enlisting?

They operate under a different standard, which is why they provide VA benefits for service-related injuries.

Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What kind of fanatic are you!!!!! Only 1 hour a day!? Next you'll be telling us that's nothing, you used to go on 112 mile bike rides... oh wait....

The 1 hour day is my walking commute to work and back, I use the weekend as recovery days...

The Forge would laugh at my pencil neck triathlete like physique and suggest I slap on a 90lb pack on my commute but clearly I'm not The Forge (who is).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Good thing I'm an ex triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Retired' triathlete...
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
JSA wrote:

That was worth the read just to hear about what they put those poor bastards through in the study. 31 miles over 4 days with 99 pound backpacks is pretty fucking extreme. And these guys are with the Norwegian Army ski team, so I'm pretty sure that means it wasn't a flat 31 miles.

It's a huge leap to equate distance athletes to that kind of extreme exertion and stress. Most triathletes will never come close to anything like that. If the Forge was here, he's back me up on that.

The other thing I found flawed about the study was that they didn't discuss recovery. I'd think that after a day or two, the body would recover and your poop would return to normal. So it's hard to see the long term implications.

The 99 pound pack sounds pretty brutal, but the article implied that it was 31 miles *divided by* 4 days, or less than 8 miles per day. That's pretty tame mileage for a hiker (or skier). I've circumnavigated Crater Lake in Oregon on snowshoes (30+ miles) over three days (with pack) and I've never been Forge-fit.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: May 9, 17 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
'Retired' triathlete...

Nah, I'm divorced from triathlon. It really is an ex. Thought about doing a local sprint this summer but can't even get it up for that. Sort of like trying to get it up for my ex wife.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha. I guess I'm the same, still making marital support payments to the masters swim group
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
zed707 wrote:
JSA wrote:

The 99 pound pack sounds pretty brutal, but the article implied that it was 31 miles *divided by* 4 days, or less than 8 miles per day. That's pretty tame mileage for a hiker (or skier). I've circumnavigated Crater Lake in Oregon on snowshoes (30+ miles) over three days (with pack) and I've never been Forge-fit.

So go back and do the same route with the 99 lbs and tell me that it was tame.

My take on the article is that they sought out an extreme example of demanding military training to see how the body changes during stress. Pretty much happens all over. Then the body recovers. Nobody does that shit forever.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew it!!! Suck it, current triathletes! [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
JSA wrote:

It reminds me of elk hunting.
Quote Reply