Re: Fly fishing [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pm sent
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Duffy: May 11, 17 5:47
Re: Fly fishing [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I don't think that him being a local would change my reaction to him acting that way.

"Oh, you're a local so you being a douche is ok."

I have a spot that not many people fish. Yet once in a while I see someone there. I don't then go over to them and tell them to get the fuck out of my "secret spot". I usually ask how the fishing is and then I just move on to other spots.

And I certainly don't broadcast to the world about how great the fishing is in that spot and then complain that too many people are fishing there now.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you're describing is douchey behaviour. I have no issue with people getting upset about people being a complete douche. I do have a problem with people getting upset because someone is doing something in "their" spot.

And yes I know that you have said that you never have issues with locals.

Here's a question for you...

If I was to go and surf a "hidden, local" spot. Lets say nobody is there and I am just surfing away then the locals show up. Are they going to harrass me if I continue to surf (obeying the "rules") just for being there? Or are they only going to harrass me if I act like a douche?

The former is not cool. The latter I would understand completely.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mclean's novela is superb and within the fly fishing community Redford's movie is simple known as "The Movie."

There are a metric shit ton of posers and elitests within the fly fishing community--which makes it very analogous to the Tri Community. Us normal folks just have to learn to recognize them, ignore them and move on with enjoying and mastering the art/sport.

Mostly--about 95% of the time--i don't kill fish. i understand catching fish for eating and am not all adverse to doing that. But mostly i just enjoy the fishing and the art. So i've pinched the barbs down on all my flies and when i tie my own i use barbless hooks or pinch those barbs down too before tying. Also not adverse to spin fishing. In the high Sierra lakes it can be very tough to fly fish a lake so when back packing i will also take a ultra-light spin rig and spoons to get out into the lake. However, i've taken off the almost inevitable treble hook and replaced the hooks on my small spoons with single hooks that i've pinched the barbs down. This makes it much easier to unhook the fish and get it gently back into the water where it can go on getting bigger and someone else can enjoy catching it as well.

If you enjoyed Mclean's novela there is a pretty well known fly fishing and life philosophy author; John Geirach. He's the author of several books but check out his "Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing."

In fact this weekend my West Point class is holding a mini reunion with all us fly fishermen at a fly fishing lodge up in N GA mountains. So i've been tying up some Wooly Buggers (a go to trout fly here in the mountains of GA, NC, TN). Some with heavy bead heads to fish sub-surface and some light to strip back along the surface.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have been known to use the schlappen for hackle as well. It gives a sexy pulse to the fly in slower water.

Ever fish for carp on the fly? By far my favorite fish to go after with the fly rod.
Last edited by: 307trout: May 11, 17 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative Ghost Rider on the carp. I have fished a couple of three times over on the Flint River for shoal bass which hold in moving water and you can fish em sort of like trout; without the horror story of driving up thru ATL to get to actual trout fishes.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I catch and release almost every fish I catch. The primary water that I fish is a wild trout fishery so it's strictly catch and release as well as barbless hooks. The size and quality of the fish in the river are amazing compared to others that I have fished.

After using barbless hooks for many years on this river I use them on the majority of places I fish. Yes you loose a fish more often but it also teaches you to control the fish and line better. Less tramatic to the fish when removing the hook because it just slides out. Wet your hands before handling the fish so you don't rub off the slime which protects the fish. I do keep some when I plan on eating them that day but generally let them go to make more fish.

I can easily out fish a spinner or bait fisherman most days, but it is specific to specific bodies of water. I do enjoy drowning a worm with my step son as well, it's a different kind off relaxation.

As far as a boat I use a kick boat which is basically 8' inflatable pontoons with a steel frame and seat. Human powered with fins for navigation and oars for bigger movements. They are fantastic to fish from and allow you to get to areas that a wade fisherman can't access as well as cover a lot of river in a day. Used to have a drift boat but it was a ton of work and you always had to have someone to go with you. Now the kick boat I can go solo, haul it in the back of my truck, shuttle with dirt bike or mountain bike. Just makes things easier.

Enjoy your new hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So went up to N GA with some of the guys i graduated from school with 35 years ago for a fly fishing weekend.

I'd tied up some biot midge pupa that stood me pretty well

The first decent fish i brought to hand was on one of these biots i'd tied.

The next day we got to fish on the Soque which is a major trout fishing destination in N Ga. Good fish. One i had to chase down thru some riffles to keep it from breaking me off but i brought her to hand for a pic before sending her on her way.

just a pic of me and my classmates from the military academy who partook in this fly fishing mini-reunion. Good times. 35 year ago we were young men. Now-not so much but we still have fun fly fishing.

take good care and tight lines

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck you and the shit truck you ride in.

kindly

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whatever. you're a LR gadfly good day to you.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to fish for wild fish as its cool that they spawned and grew up in healthy water. Let most of them go. Mainly fish with dries because I like to see the fish rise to the fly. Sometimes if the fish are stunted because of overpopulation (beaver ponds) I will take enough for a day. In the last 20 years between raising two kids and a busy professional life I have not had much time to fish so I often use guides which greatly increase chance of success. As long as people respect the regs to each their own.

Tik wrote:
I catch and release almost every fish I catch. The primary water that I fish is a wild trout fishery so it's strictly catch and release as well as barbless hooks. The size and quality of the fish in the river are amazing compared to others that I have fished.

After using barbless hooks for many years on this river I use them on the majority of places I fish. Yes you loose a fish more often but it also teaches you to control the fish and line better. Less tramatic to the fish when removing the hook because it just slides out. Wet your hands before handling the fish so you don't rub off the slime which protects the fish. I do keep some when I plan on eating them that day but generally let them go to make more fish.

I can easily out fish a spinner or bait fisherman most days, but it is specific to specific bodies of water. I do enjoy drowning a worm with my step son as well, it's a different kind off relaxation.

As far as a boat I use a kick boat which is basically 8' inflatable pontoons with a steel frame and seat. Human powered with fins for navigation and oars for bigger movements. They are fantastic to fish from and allow you to get to areas that a wade fisherman can't access as well as cover a lot of river in a day. Used to have a drift boat but it was a ton of work and you always had to have someone to go with you. Now the kick boat I can go solo, haul it in the back of my truck, shuttle with dirt bike or mountain bike. Just makes things easier.

Enjoy your new hobby.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. i am not adverse to killing fish/trout but seldom do so. Most of what i do is catch and release which lets the trout grow up to be bigger and smarter and some one else will have the challenge of catching it. i love wild fish over stockers but when what you have at hand to fish is a river/stream of stockers (aside from that great hike up into the remote streams of the Sierras) what are u gonna do? Nothing? or fish and release. i too love a fish that rises to a dry fly--to me that is classic fly fishing and it's much to my chagrin that i still cannot tie a decent parachute adams. i am working on that.

take good care and tight lines

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That water looks pretty turbid for trout...especially for catching them. Is that a lighting issue or was the water that murky?

Quote Reply
Re: Fly fishing [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you google Fern Valley fly fishing you will see what we were dealing with. it's a highly desirable water to fly fish on here on the southeast. Our guide has guided President Carter almost every hear on these waters. The water IS usually clearer but on this day there had been a rain storm up on the GA/NC area so the water was all heavily stained. It significantly effected the flies we chose. There was a black ant rise like never seen late in the afternoon so we tied on our closest approximation and it was 'game on.'

Steve
Quote Reply

Prev Next