Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smoked Fruits ???
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in trying to make my own barbecue sauce - just because. (yes we can buy Bullseye here...)
Found this recipe which I'm fine with, right up until it says to add the liquid smoke. That's where my bitch is, liquid smoke as far as anything I can find locally amounts to these choices; hickory, hickory or hickory and possibly mesquite...maybe. Don't get me wrong, hickory & mesquite are alright but cripes there's other flavours out there. Alder, maple, willow, chokecherry etc., the last 2 being local. Which of course brings me to a problem, how do I impart a custom smoke flavour to bbq sauce? I've considered de-seeding Roma tomatoes & smoking and then making a paste to replace the pasata called for in the recipe. I'm not sure how to approach this. I suppose I could smoke the prunes too, but they're already dry and I'm not sure they'll take the smoke as willingly as the tomatoes. Thoughts anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Smoked Fruits ??? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you make homemade liquid smoke?
Quote Reply
Re: Smoked Fruits ??? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I can do that, why not just smoke some of the base components of the sauce instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
If I can do that, why not just smoke some of the base components of the sauce instead?

I don't know. I'm not a big smoke at home guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grill some onion slices over whatever source you have .....just gently and not long maybe 10 mnutes max....chop em up and boil em in a cup of white wine....strain and reduce the wine to almost a syrup..add to sauce or what ever.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Smoked Fruits ??? [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll certainly give that a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, I would grill the onion, tomato, and add fresh plum to the grill to replace the prunes (hardwood charcoal grill will give a light smokiness). Assemble then put a cat iron pot on the grill and smoke worth wood of your choice. Transfer to a stove top and reduce accordingly.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Thanks, I'll certainly give that a try.
cooler the smoke the better.Less is more. and you must capture the flavors instantly]. You want to process everything all in one moment ....it's much like fresh brewed coffee.

sometimes
Quote Reply