Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens
Quote | Reply
It is reported that Kushner (company owned by Kushner family and Jarod Kushner until recently he was CEO) is making presentations in China. The deal is wealthy Chinese invest 500K in a development project they are doing in New Jersey (commercial and residential) and they get a visa as a pathway to citizenship. Seems like its legal but likely hardly what was intended by the program. Likely program was started to get people to invest in businesses/start businesses so jobs get created etc. The whole thing and its connection to Trump seems outrageous to me. Do you think Trump's base will care about this?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Do you think Trump's base will care about this?

No.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most developed countries have a similar program. Canada called it the "Federal Immigrant Investor and Entrepreneur" program. invest a boatload of money in Canada, create a few jobs for Canadians and voila - you are a Permanent Resident, and on your way to citizenship. The idea is you get good people (motivated, successful, business minded) and also direct investment and jobs.

EDIT - Canada apparently cancelled this program in 2014. I guess some bleeding heart types thought it was unfair to the poor, lazy and perpetually unemployed that also want to come to Canada.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: May 8, 17 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - its interesting this is so focused on the Chinese. What about the Swiss or Swedish or Canadians that want to invest $1m in opening a business in the US. Is there a similar outcry about them?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest problem I see is if you run a program like this it doesn't seem very helpful for people being almost silent partners to an almost 1 billion dollar project. If I were master of the universe I would restrict it to someone being a significant shareholder in a business perhaps like majority partner.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not new. It's been going on for years. I believe it's known as the EB-5 program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - its interesting this is so focused on the Chinese. What about the Swiss or Swedish or Canadians that want to invest $1m in opening a business in the US. Is there a similar outcry about them?

The focus on China is because there is a growing belief (it's a belief because it's true) that the Chinese money coming into Canada is being laundered.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reality of these programs is we don't keep the wealthy, smart business people. They use it to rob us of social programs when it is convenient to them (healthcare, education, etc) for their children and as a way to skirt regulations around foreign investments but are largely satellite citizens who do not contribute to their new 'homes'... Look at Vancouver as a prime example.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

The focus on China is because there is a growing belief (it's a belief because it's true) that the Chinese money coming into Canada is being laundered.

Very true.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

And here I thought the focus was on the inappropriate actions by Jared Kushner's sister.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
This is not new. It's been going on for years. I believe it's known as the EB-5 program.

The EU and UK have a similar program. Got enough cash? Here's a work permit/visa, you can become a citizen in 5 years at most.
In the UK, you only need 50k GBP
In Sweden, you only need 200,000 SEK (~22k USD)
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

And here I thought the focus was on the inappropriate actions by Jared Kushner's sister.

Listening to NPR this morning, it wasn't just that the $500K claim was made but connections to the White House which was emphasized. I don't necessarily have a problem with the financial incentive to become a citizen, I think it should be much higher. However, I do have a problem with using the White House connections to attract investors. I have not seen any transcript of the exchange, just what has been reported.

Yes, I know, but Hillary, but Obama, but Bush, etc. so on and so forth. None of these make it right.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

That would be my concern too. Looking beyond just the amount of money to establishing how that sum came to be in their possession. Even in 'best case' scenarios where wealth was accumulated at the expense of exploiting poor workers, are these really the type of people you want as your own?

There are many countries where I'd be cynical about the ethics/legalities over wealth acquisition. Russia being another. My in-laws over in Ontario (GTA) always talk about the influx of a Russian 'mafia'.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese buying VISAs to become American citizens [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many countries where I'd be cynical about the ethics/legalities over wealth acquisition. Russia being another. My in-laws over in Ontario (GTA) always talk about the influx of a Russian 'mafia'.

Back in the early 1990's, here in Vancouver it was an influx of Japanese money. Now, the Chinese have taken over the high end real estate. I walk by the downtown condos every day and almost all of them are empty. The Chinese came in and bought them all which pleased the government (before their foreign buyers tax of 15% that came in a few years too late and can easily be bypassed).

For some reason, the government and Real Estate companies have bent over backwards trying to convince people that it's not really the Chinese and that foreign buyers make up a small percentage of real estate. Of course, they don't mention that the Chinese buyers are disguised as local lawyers or corporations with "local" owners. You get the sense they are not being truthful when you walk around town and most of the For Sale signs are written exclusively in Chinese.

Quote Reply